IGNORED

Manchester City (League Cup Semi-Finals Home First Leg)

markjazzbassist

Strangely confident about this tie. I'm not really sure whether the pressure is on or off for City here but either way I think them being favourites can play to our advantage.

We are the 'nothing to lose' side in this semi-final and I want to see us go hell for leather. There's a good chance Stoke can do the Shite in the other SF and then slide out of their purple patch just in time for us to stuff them at Wembley. This is our best route into Europe. Side note time: A lot of people probably fancy a Merseyside derby for the final. You can keep your "great for the city" spiel, not worth the 95% risk of us getting shafted by a dodgy referee or probably ourselves to hand that shower of shite average Liverpool side a trophy.

Anyway, back to the semi final. If we go to City without a lead, we'll be seriously on the back foot. Especially if they've chalked up an away goal or two. This first leg is a must win to get us into the tie, though a 0-0 wouldn't be disastrous, it still wouldn't be ideal.

Hopefully we play a side that will take the game by the scruff of the neck:

Robles

Coleman Jagielka FunesMori Baines

Besic Barry

Deulofeu Barkley Lennon

Lukaku

I don't give a Camel's big fat fuzzy dick who we play as long as we send them packing with their tails between their legs. The rest of those pussies can go eat each others bungholes with a side order of steamed carrots. Ask me how I really feel......

ERR...............

will I regret asking?

Sounds strange but taking a lead into the replay may be a bad thing, as they'll likely go all out knowing they must score at least two. When they click they can hurt anybody. A draw may be better.

I don't know what choice we have though. I mean, I don't know how capable we are at setting up for a 0-0 draw and actually succeeding at that.

Guest rusty747

No matter how we set up or who starts we will concede. So we need to make sure we score more than we concede. I think it will be an open game and could well finish 4-3 - to either team!

something to consider as well for me is pelligrini. he knows he's gone at the end of this year. they want guardiola. so if you are manuel, how do you approach the season? could their lackluster performances be down to the manager not being backed properly and knowing he's off? maybe he puts all effort into Champions League to try and salvage his job? I'm just spit balling here but are his priorities in the League Cup? or maybe they have enough depth and quality that it doesn't matter, even their bench will win games.

no idea, but some things i've been thinking about that might give us an advantage.

something to consider as well for me is pelligrini. he knows he's gone at the end of this year. they want guardiola. so if you are manuel, how do you approach the season? could their lackluster performances be down to the manager not being backed properly and knowing he's off? maybe he puts all effort into Champions League to try and salvage his job? I'm just spit balling here but are his priorities in the League Cup? or maybe they have enough depth and quality that it doesn't matter, even their bench will win games.

no idea, but some things i've been thinking about that might give us an advantage.

They've played strong teams all the way through this, CL is on hiatus, he won't piss around too much with his line-up.

Weird thing to say, since he signed a new contract at the end of last season, and the United and Chelsea positions will be available too. Don't think it has any bearing on how an accomplished manager will approach the game

Weird thing to say, since he signed a new contract at the end of last season, and the United and Chelsea positions will be available too. Don't think it has any bearing on how an accomplished manager will approach the game

German media have it on good authority that he's going to City. All over Sky today, but could see him going to Chelsea as Huddink seems to be the stop gap again.

So apparently away goals do count in this tie but only after extra time?

I.E. If we draw 2-2 at home, then draw 1-1 away, it will go to extra time but if there's no more goals, City will win instead of it going to penalties.

Am I the only one who finds this a really weird rule? If anything, possibly it plays into our hands because we have 120 minutes to score away goals if the tie is level and they only get 90...

I'm just confused though really, don't see any reason to work it that way.

I.E. If we draw 2-2 at home, then draw 1-1 away, it will go to extra time but if there's no more goals, City will win instead of it going to penalties.

Am I the only one who finds this a really weird rule? If anything, possibly it plays into our hands because we have 120 minutes to score away goals if the tie is level and they only get 90...

I agree. ridiculous rule.

I don't know about youse guys but I feel a hell of a lot better going into this thing knowing that Robles is between the sticks. Hopefully the lads do too and that will give the defence an added boost of confidence knowing that every cross and corner might not be a potential goal.

Sound a ridiculous rule but it works both ways. We've actually got the upper hand as our goals away on the night could potentially take us through.

City can pay him the most and have the most talented side by far of the 3. Only reason he goes to United is his ole pal SAF convinces him. Chelsea is out that's not his style or owner type especially after rumminegge.

I don't know about youse guys but I feel a hell of a lot better going into this thing knowing that Robles is between the sticks. Hopefully the lads do too and that will give the defence an added boost of confidence knowing that every cross and corner might not be a potential goal.

Until you see that Martinez picks Howard instead :lol:.