IGNORED

Oumar Niasse

He doesn't want away though, that's the point and may be part of the reason that he's still here. Be ironic if he actually turns out to be a proper player now.

Can't see the club selling many shirts with his name on though..

Have a look at the clearance sale from last season's shirts, 90% of them are pre-printed Niasse jobs.

Can't give them away!

To his credit, when the manager publicly ridiculed him by saying that if he likes playing football, then he needs to leave he resisted any social media/ press responses and just carried on turning up to training. Can't imagine that I would have reacted so reservedly had my boss done the same to me in public.

It would be nice if Koeman were to apologise for what was an unnecessary public statement now. Irrespective of how good or bad a player he is, he deserves to be treated with some dignity (though reports of his private life suggest that perhaps he doesn't deserve that, but another matter altogether)

To his credit, when the manager publicly ridiculed him by saying that if he likes playing football, then he needs to leave he resisted any social media/ press responses and just carried on turning up to training. Can't imagine that I would have reacted so reservedly had my boss done the same to me in public.

It would be nice if Koeman were to apologise for what was an unnecessary public statement now. Irrespective of how good or bad a player he is, he deserves to be treated with some dignity (though reports of his private life suggest that perhaps he doesn't deserve that, but another matter altogether)

I don't think Koeman should apologize. I appreciate his honesty and that's hard to come by in this business these days.

What I'd like to see is Niasse use it as motivation and prove Koeman wrong -- then maybe Koeman will have softer words for him.

I don't think Koeman should apologize. I appreciate his honesty and that's hard to come by in this business these days.

What I'd like to see is Niasse use it as motivation and prove Koeman wrong -- then maybe Koeman will have softer words for him.

How would you feel if your boss did the same to you, in public, when you had tried your best but just weren't very good? Don't think he's lacking motivation, based upon his headless chicken like running all over the park when he's appeared. He certainly looks like a trier if nothing else.

Not his fault that we bought him, and football isn't like other jobs where you apply to the employer. We (Martinez) went after him.

Not saying there's an issue in Koeman thinking he's not good enough or even telling him that privately because he's most probably absolutely right, but it lacks class to personally attack someone through the media.

For what it's worth, I entirely agree that Martinez has failed us massively with this one, but he's still a human being and still should be treated with dignity at the least.

Not his fault that we bought him, and football isn't like other jobs where you apply to the employer. We (Martinez) went after him.

Bingo. These guys are paid millions upon millions. I'm sure he can take a comment like that. Maybe Koeman could've put it more lightly, but at the same time, why beat around the bush?

If my boss was paying me that much then I think I'd be okay, even if it my ego was a little bruised.

How would you feel if your boss did the same to you, in public, when you had tried your best but just weren't very good? Don't think he's lacking motivation, based upon his headless chicken like running all over the park when he's appeared. He certainly looks like a trier if nothing else.

Not saying there's an issue in Koeman thinking he's not good enough or even telling him that privately because he's most probably absolutely right, but it lacks class to personally attack someone through the media.

For what it's worth, I entirely agree that Martinez has failed us massively with this one, but he's still a human being and still should be treated with dignity at the least.

Everton thinking mate, and hope it never changes.

For me it was unnecessary, a guy of his level should be intelligent enough to be able to say it without saying it.

I have had many bosses that say it like it is.....I often label them as assholes!

Funnily enough, most people I know do to.

Unless they are the boss of the football team they support.

Bingo. These guys are paid millions upon millions. I'm sure he can take a comment like that. Maybe Koeman could've put it more lightly, but at the same time, why beat around the bush?

If my boss was paying me that much then I think I'd be okay, even if it my ego was a little bruised.

I suppose money talks for you then.

I get paid much more now than I did 10 years ago, but if my boss went on TV, radio etc. and told everybody what a useless twat I was and that if I like being in employment then I ought to look for a new job then I'd be as upset now as I was back then. And it wouldn't have anything whatsoever to do with how much money I have or haven't got.

Maybe values are a bit different on the other side of the Atlantic, which is fair enough if so.

I get paid much more now than I did 10 years ago, but if my boss went on TV, radio etc. and told everybody what a useless twat I was and that if I like being in employment then I ought to look for a new job then I'd be as upset now as I was back then. And it wouldn't have anything whatsoever to do with how much money I have or haven't got.

Maybe values are a bit different on the other side of the Atlantic, which is fair enough if so.

Type of guy i would buy a pint.

That's not what he said though is it? Not even close. "If he wants to play football then he needs to leave Everton" is what he said. What a downright dispicable and hurtful thing to say! He really attacked Niasse, went after him publicly, ridiculed him, said he was rubbish.

Nah, he just said that he wouldn't play if he stayed at Everton. What an absolute bastard!

Telling him in private is absolutely fair and honest. Doing so publicly...made me cringe a little. If Niasse had been squawking to the media about his lack of playing time, or the team....that would be different, but he wasn't. I'm pretty mixed about it, but I think it was avoidable and there are probably more effective ways to motivate someone, if that was part of it.

I'm not sure which side of the Atlantic that puts me on. Perhaps the Azores?

That's not what he said though is it? Not even close. "If he wants to play football then he needs to leave Everton" is what he said. What a downright dispicable and hurtful thing to say! He really attacked Niasse, went after him publicly, ridiculed him, said he was rubbish.

Nah, he just said that he wouldn't play if he stayed at Everton. What an absolute bastard!

Fair points but whilst not pointedly nasty, his words were extremely sarcastic - which is the other side of the same coin.

My post wasn't intended to imply that he'd used the same words as my hypothetical example used and in fact in using those words I detracted from my own basic point. I understand and agree with your comments, but maintain my original point of decency and respect, and saying things like that in private rather than public.

Fair points but whilst not pointedly nasty, his words were extremely sarcastic - which is the other side of the same coin.

My post wasn't intended to imply that he'd used the same words as my hypothetical example used and in fact in using those words I detracted from my own basic point. I understand and agree with your comments, but maintain my original point of decency and respect, and saying things like that in private rather than public.

But he actually did what you said he should do and "said it without saying it". He was asked in his press conference about the situation with Niasse and instead of saying outright that he thinks Niasse is crap and he's desperate to get shut of him he gave a diplomatic answer.

I'm really struggling to see what the fuss is about, just as I have been since people blew up about it originally :unsure:.

But he actually did what you said he should do and "said it without saying it".

I suggested that he ought to have said nothing in public and dealt with it privately. The response to the press conference question could easily just have been the tried and tested rebuff along lines of 'Oumar Niasse is a player for this club at this time.'

Like you say though, lots of fuss and probably not worth this much.

I suggested that he ought to have said nothing in public and dealt with it privately. The response to the press conference question could easily just have been the tried and tested rebuff along lines of 'Oumar Niasse is a player for this club at this time.'

Like you say though, lots of fuss and probably not worth this much.

Must've been someone else that said that then (Shukes maybe?), so apologies!

• 3 weeks later...