IGNORED

Oumar Niasse

• 2 weeks later...

Yawn. Manager tells player to leave, player doesn't leave and is then shocked to find he hasn't got a squad number or a locker when he turns up to play for the reserves. Well shock fucking horror.

Maybe he should be asking himself why no fucker wanted to take him after he told his agent to find a club for him. You're shit, lad, that's why. Be happy you even play reserve football.

Yawn. Manager tells player to leave, player doesn't leave and is then shocked to find he hasn't got a squad number or a locker when he turns up to play for the reserves. Well shock fucking horror.

Maybe he should be asking himself why no fucker wanted to take him after he told his agent to find a club for him. You're shit, lad, that's why. Be happy you even play reserve football.

That's the issue ... clubs did want him - he chose not to go.

But if he's demoted to the reserves should he not at least get the same treatment as the rest of the reserves?

Yes, but Koeman isn't the manager of the reserves, Unsworth is, so I don't know why that's being held against Koeman (by Matt).

Presumably Koeman has some say over the ressies and watches them at times (bloody hope so) while at the same time being Unsy's boss.

Unsworth has said positive things about the guy so why would he take it upon himself to give him detrimental treatment unless instructed from above?

Presumably Koeman has some say over the ressies and watches them at times (bloody hope so) while at the same time being Unsy's boss.

Unsworth has said positive things about the guy so why would he take it upon himself to give him detrimental treatment unless instructed from above?

Seems a bit childish of Koeman to do that. I can't see it. He comes across as a man and has been up front with Niasse from the start, so to play games now would be out of character.

Yes, but Koeman isn't the manager of the reserves, Unsworth is, so I don't know why that's being held against Koeman (by Matt).

you don't think he's said something to deliberately make him more uncomfortable to get him to fuck off after he turned down moves in the summer?

simply put he is using £40k+ a week of money that could be spent on a far better player.

He has been told he is not in the managers plans after watching him in pre season, Martinez didn't use him - what does that say? It says we bought a lemon.

I'd sooner have a manager who will manage his budget properly rather than do a martin oneill and amass a huge squad of expensive players that he will not use and take the club into financial peril.

simply put he is using £40k+ a week of money that could be spent on a far better player.

He has been told he is not in the managers plans after watching him in pre season, Martinez didn't use him - what does that say? It says we bought a lemon.

I'd sooner have a manager who will manage his budget properly rather than do a martin oneill and amass a huge squad of expensive players that he will not use and take the club into financial peril.

I've not problem with this, but Koeman is very clearly making an example of him and punishing him for not wanting to leave. Just doesn't sit right with me.

I've not problem with this, but Koeman is very clearly making an example of him and punishing him for not wanting to leave. Just doesn't sit right with me.

we have to trust that Koeman is acting in the best interests of the club...

what the alternative? - well we can use the mirallas situation with Martinez which was a complete farce. Mirallas clearly had issues with Martinez and vice versa, if Martinez was going to stay he needed to sell Mirallas - not continue with some feud.

We can only establish this - Niasse from what we have seen, from what Martinez did in not playing him and what Koeman has seen in pre season and in training is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

now not being good enough is fine when its a kid aged 17 who needs to leave the club to find game time - we give them a free transfer and wish them well.

In this instance we have given a player a contract of £50k a week I believe.... not only that we have spent £13.5m on him.

Now - it is clear that Koeman had a candid conversation with the lad and said "you aren't in my plans - its best for you to leave if you want to play football". Palace came in plus a few clubs from other countries and Niasse rejected the moves.

So do I feel sorry for the lad? - if he was on minimum wage working as an admin and tried his best but was a bit slow and the company were trying to force him out then yes. The reality is that he is a millionaire and he is more or less saying he is happy to pick up £50k a week knowing full well that the manager does not want him and will not use him.

I'm not entirely comfortable with the situation but then again I'm not comfortable with a footballer happy to pick up a wage for not contributing to the team.

http://deadspin.com/evertons-oumar-niasse-is-the-saddest-man-in-the-premier-1787659918

Oumar Niasse thought all his dreams had come true. After spending the first half of the 2015-16 season crushing it in Russia (12 goals and eight assists in 21 domestic league and European games), the Senegalese striker earned a lucrative move to the land of the TV money and the home of the enormous wages, getting signed seemingly out of nowhere by Everton for a startling £13.5 million transfer fee. Finally, he must have thought with more than a little justification, he had arrived. Since then, everything has been a disaster.

When Niasse got to Everton in February of 2016, he hadn’t played competitively in a couple months due to the Russian league’s winter break. Thus it took a good amount of time and training before he was even available for selection with his new club. The thing is, the more then-manager Roberto Martínez saw of his newest striker on the practice field, the less enchanted with the forward’s talent he apparently became. Niasse only made seven total appearances for Everton in all competitions last year, during which he racked up a mere 152 minutes of time on the pitch, and never scored. It was a disappointing return for a player who could’ve reasonably expected to be featured much more often as star striker Romelu Lukaku’s primary back-up.

Still, a winter window transfer taking a while to adapt to his new team and league doesn’t have to be a career death blow. Neither is a new manager coming in, as was the case when Everton fired Martínez and replaced him with Ronald Koeman. Work hard in the offseason, prove yourself in the preseason, embed fully in the team and manager’s tactics like the other players, and there’s no reason why you can’t thrive in the following full campaign coming off half of a shaky one.

What is more difficult to rebound from is the manager calling you into his office early on in the preseason and telling you that you’re not in his plans for the new season. And making it clear that you’re never going to play so you might as well leave. And taking away your squad number. And forbidding you from training with the first team. And dumping you with the reserve squad. This is the current plight of Oumar Niasse.

The Guardian sat down with Niasse for what is a very depressing interview as the poor man revealed the cracked shards of his broken dream. It starts off with this most pitiable anecdote, where Niasse recounts just how looked over he is by the entire club:

The really bad times all started with a conversation Niasse had with Koeman a couple days after Everton’s first preseason game. Niasse got 45 minutes of game time and felt he did pretty decently, all things considered. Two days later, Koeman called Niasse into his office:

“I’m in the dressing-room with the under-23s but I don’t have a locker,” Niasse says. “The other players have where they put their stuff but I don’t. I come with my bag and I just have a place that I know. I put my bag down, I train and after, I put everything in my car and go home.”

Unfortunately for both parties, no one was able to come up with a suitable exit strategy. This is mostly on Niasse. The Guardian article makes clear that the striker did have options to join teams, even ones in very good European leagues in Spain and Germany. But Niasse wouldn’t hear of it. He wanted to make his mark at Everton, and, short of that, he wished to stay in the Premier League, where he sees his skillset as especially valuable, even if none of the other teams in the league agree.

“Koeman said: ‘You have to leave,’” Niasse says. “I couldn’t understand how that decision could have been made after 45 minutes but I just said: ‘OK, thank you.’ It’s his decision. He’s the manager. What can I do? I called my agent and he said that he would look into the opportunities for me. To be honest, I didn’t ask Koeman to explain his reasons. I just thought, even if I asked why, I would never understand. After just 45 minutes, you cannot say to me: ‘You are no good.’”

As the transfer deadline came and went without Niasse’s exit, and Koeman had done everything in his power to ensure Niasse received the message that he was never going to play at Everton and thus should go find pastures new, the manager was at a loss:

Koeman shouldn’t be so confused. This situation is extremely common across Europe’s bigger clubs. The process always goes something like this: A team spots what they believe to be a promising player running circles around their opponents in a lesser league, throws what to the player’s team and the player himself look like outrageous sums in exchange for the player’s services, the team signs the player up, realizes he’s not as good as imagined or for whatever reason just doesn’t fit, and buries the player on the bench underneath a growing pile of newer, younger, even more expensive Great New Hopes.

“It is all up to the player whether he doesn’t leave, I can’t understand it but that is normal,” Koeman said on 22 September. “Football players like to play football, that’s how I see it, and I explained to Niasse why he was not in my plans for the season.”

At that point, the player can either bide his time, accepting the lack of playing time and the increasingly obvious slights meant to shame him into leaving the club, and cash his sizable checks on the sidelines, or he can try to move on. The problem here, though, is that finding a new team is never that easy. The stink of failure surrounding the player and his usually prohibitive salary scare off most of the smaller teams who would theoretically take a chance on a player that was once so highly regarded. Thus the two parties, club and player, become stuck at an impasse. The club wants nothing more than for the player to be gone while the player struggles to find a move that makes sense for him.

Oftentimes the solution is for the Purgatory-trapped player to head back to the team or league he made his name in. This too is an avenue Niasse as no interest in traveling down, since Russia, as you could imagine, is not the best place for a black man to find himself:

“It’s very hard to be a black guy in Moscow,” Niasse says. “Even in the games, you can sometimes hear the fans doing some shit. I remember they did it to me. Away to CSKA Moscow [in September 2015], we had a penalty and I took it but all the fans were making these noises. It didn’t bother me. I scored the penalty. I didn’t say anything.”

And so Niasse is stuck. He wants to play, and above all wants to play for Everton, but that has been made nearly impossible. Niasse expresses his optimism and iron will in swearing that he has no problems with Koeman and trusting that if he just keeps his head down and trains his ass off, the manager will change his mind and give Niasse a shot. Judging from Koeman’s words and actions, this appears an exceedingly naive belief.

It is, however, all Niasse has, along with those big checks that will continue coming until the summer of 2020. Whether hope and money are enough to distract him from the sad state of his playing career is a question only he can answer.

Edited by Lowensda

we have to trust that Koeman is acting in the best interests of the club...

what the alternative? - well we can use the mirallas situation with Martinez which was a complete farce. Mirallas clearly had issues with Martinez and vice versa, if Martinez was going to stay he needed to sell Mirallas - not continue with some feud.

We can only establish this - Niasse from what we have seen, from what Martinez did in not playing him and what Koeman has seen in pre season and in training is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

now not being good enough is fine when its a kid aged 17 who needs to leave the club to find game time - we give them a free transfer and wish them well.

In this instance we have given a player a contract of £50k a week I believe.... not only that we have spent £13.5m on him.

Now - it is clear that Koeman had a candid conversation with the lad and said "you aren't in my plans - its best for you to leave if you want to play football". Palace came in plus a few clubs from other countries and Niasse rejected the moves.

So do I feel sorry for the lad? - if he was on minimum wage working as an admin and tried his best but was a bit slow and the company were trying to force him out then yes. The reality is that he is a millionaire and he is more or less saying he is happy to pick up £50k a week knowing full well that the manager does not want him and will not use him.

I'm not entirely comfortable with the situation but then again I'm not comfortable with a footballer happy to pick up a wage for not contributing to the team.

Its funny, when McGeady came from the Russian league, out of shape because of the winter break, he was written off by some and defended by others that he should be given a chance to get up to speed and prove himself....

Its funny, when McGeady came from the Russian league, out of shape because of the winter break, he was written off by some and defended by others that he should be given a chance to get up to speed and prove himself....

Yep... and that's what I said about this lad. He had from january and I kept my powder dry. Then a pre season.... if he ain't fit and ready after that then he's fooked.

Mcgeady at least looked like he had ability whilst being what looked like 2 st overweight.

I'm with Matt.

There's still a way to do things and it seems we are morphing into a different type of club slowly.

It's not like Niasse sent a plea to the club to sign him.

He was given a sniff if a dream, and then hasn't really been given an opportunity to prove himself.

Have any other players played as bad as him for 152 minutes?

Yes, pretty much every player in the team.