IGNORED

My close encounter with the red army

johnh

When I was posted to Singapore at the beginning of 1955, I was surprised when they told me that service in Singapore qualified for the Malaya campaign medal as Singapore qualified as 'an active service area'. This didn't seem right as, in army parlance, Singapore was a 'cushy number'. I spent most of my time playing sport, particularly football, though I represented the Army at athletics which enabled me to have a week off duties for 'special training' prior to an event. When I had been there for about six months I found that I was being posted on temporary attachment to the West Yorkshire Regiment who were based in northern Johore Bahru state in Malaya. That was in the heart of the troubles. Still, my role was 'back office' so I would be OK. When I arrived there the officer in charge (who thought he was John Wayne) advised me that I would have to do my share of patrols. To be fair, he did his share too.

(On one patrol the cook from the cookhouse was next to me). Prior to my first patrol they sent me to the armoury to change my rifle. The standard issue was the mark 1V .303 rifle which was quite a big, heavy unit. The armourer referred to it as 'an elephant gun'. He gave me a modified mark 1V which had a shortened barrel and cut down stock and was a lot lighter to carry. It still used .303 ammo.

On the morning of the patrol we had to draw out our ammo. I was handed a bandolier with 50 rounds of ammo. This was strapped diagonally across the chest. 10 rounds into the magazine, one 'up the spout' and safety catch on. There were twelve on the patrol. The two NCO's had US carbines, automatic, there was a bren gunner (which was fired from the hip) had to be a big lad as the bren gun was a heavy unit. The rest of us had bolt action rifles. We embarked on an armoured troop carrier through the rear door which was then locked by means of a large wheel, like in submarines. There were no windows and it was quite claustrophobic with a temperature of 32C and 95% humidity. We set off at breakneck speed and about 20 minutes later screeched to a halt. We all piled out and into the rubber plantation. We walked through the rubber plantation for about three quarters of a mile and then reached the edge of the jungle area we were to patrol. Curfews were in place in these areas and all local people would know not to venture in. This meant that if you made contact with anyone you could shoot first and ask questions later on the basis that they would likely be a terrorist. I was next to last in the patrol column and had been on a crash course for hand signals as talking was not allowed on patrol. We were following a narrow animal track when suddenly the signal came to stop and then hit the deck. This was done by leaving the track, alternately, one to the right the next to the left. I went to the left and signalled the guy behind to go to the right. The jungle was so thick that I couldn't even see the guy in front of me so had no idea what was going on. I was half kneeling, half lying down when I became aware of some movement to my left. I glanced down and saw a massive column of red ants and I was almost lying in it. (Red ants are the most feared, they are almost an inch long and their bite is like a red hot needle). Within seconds the ants were all over my legs and left arm but not knowing what was happening ahead I couldn't do anything. Fortunately, we got the signal to proceed.

The reason for the hold-up was we had reached a clearing in the jungle and it was being checked out to make sure no ambush had been set up. It was decided to have a break on the edge of the clearing and someone spotted that I was covered in red ants. The whole patrol got to work removing them and I had to strip to the waist. They had even got under my jungle hat into my hair. I had many bites, mainly on my neck and hands. When I first got to Singapore I felt guilty about getting the campaign medal. I keep it at the back of a draw and occasionally come across it if I'm looking for something. I don't feel guilty now as I reckon I earned it - and I've got the bites to prove it.

Brilliant John, you're our very own "Uncle Albert" :lol:.

My dad ran in the army athletics team as well during his national service (1949-51), he was mostly a miler but ran longer distances also. Had a best time of 4mins 7secs so wasn't too shabby in the days before Bannister broke four minutes.

When I was posted to Singapore at the beginning of 1955, I was surprised when they told me that service in Singapore qualified for the Malaya campaign medal as Singapore qualified as 'an active service area'. This didn't seem right as, in army parlance, Singapore was a 'cushy number'. I spent most of my time playing sport, particularly football, though I represented the Army at athletics which enabled me to have a week off duties for 'special training' prior to an event. When I had been there for about six months I found that I was being posted on temporary attachment to the West Yorkshire Regiment who were based in northern Johore Bahru state in Malaya. That was in the heart of the troubles. Still, my role was 'back office' so I would be OK. When I arrived there the officer in charge (who thought he was John Wayne) advised me that I would have to do my share of patrols. To be fair, he did his share too.

(On one patrol the cook from the cookhouse was next to me). Prior to my first patrol they sent me to the armoury to change my rifle. The standard issue was the mark 1V .303 rifle which was quite a big, heavy unit. The armourer referred to it as 'an elephant gun'. He gave me a modified mark 1V which had a shortened barrel and cut down stock and was a lot lighter to carry. It still used .303 ammo.

On the morning of the patrol we had to draw out our ammo. I was handed a bandolier with 50 rounds of ammo. This was strapped diagonally across the chest. 10 rounds into the magazine, one 'up the spout' and safety catch on. There were twelve on the patrol. The two NCO's had US carbines, automatic, there was a bren gunner (which was fired from the hip) had to be a big lad as the bren gun was a heavy unit. The rest of us had bolt action rifles. We embarked on an armoured troop carrier through the rear door which was then locked by means of a large wheel, like in submarines. There were no windows and it was quite claustrophobic with a temperature of 32C and 95% humidity. We set off at breakneck speed and about 20 minutes later screeched to a halt. We all piled out and into the rubber plantation. We walked through the rubber plantation for about three quarters of a mile and then reached the edge of the jungle area we were to patrol. Curfews were in place in these areas and all local people would know not to venture in. This meant that if you made contact with anyone you could shoot first and ask questions later on the basis that they would likely be a terrorist. I was next to last in the patrol column and had been on a crash course for hand signals as talking was not allowed on patrol. We were following a narrow animal track when suddenly the signal came to stop and then hit the deck. This was done by leaving the track, alternately, one to the right the next to the left. I went to the left and signalled the guy behind to go to the right. The jungle was so thick that I couldn't even see the guy in front of me so had no idea what was going on. I was half kneeling, half lying down when I became aware of some movement to my left. I glanced down and saw a massive column of red ants and I was almost lying in it. (Red ants are the most feared, they are almost an inch long and their bite is like a red hot needle). Within seconds the ants were all over my legs and left arm but not knowing what was happening ahead I couldn't do anything. Fortunately, we got the signal to proceed.

The reason for the hold-up was we had reached a clearing in the jungle and it was being checked out to make sure no ambush had been set up. It was decided to have a break on the edge of the clearing and someone spotted that I was covered in red ants. The whole patrol got to work removing them and I had to strip to the waist. They had even got under my jungle hat into my hair. I had many bites, mainly on my neck and hands. When I first got to Singapore I felt guilty about getting the campaign medal. I keep it at the back of a draw and occasionally come across it if I'm looking for something. I don't feel guilty now as I reckon I earned it - and I've got the bites to prove it.

Can't help but picture the film 'stand up virgin soldiers'......remember Everton getting a mention in that film.Also wasn't that the film the big lad playing football on the beach stepped on a mine.

Edited by Blue 250