IGNORED

Swansea City (Home) Sunday January 24

markjazzbassist

They're in a relegation battle right now and are way out of form. Home match this is a must win for me all 3 points. Now we have the man city match a mere 3 days after so start strong early goals and early subs to rest romelu Barry Barkley.

Howard

Stones Jags Mori Baines

Besic Barry

Lennon Barkley Mirallas

Lukaku

Subs - Kone pienaar cleverley

If we don't stick with two wingers for this I'll do someone harm! It was amazing having that balance in attack, and it gave Barkley more freedom because the opposition had to worry about both of our flanks rather than just the one.

Plus, we're at home against a relegation threatened team. We need to take the game to them and wipe them out.

If we don't stick with two wingers for this I'll do someone harm! It was amazing having that balance in attack, and it gave Barkley more freedom because the opposition had to worry about both of our flanks rather than just the one.

Plus, we're at home against a relegation threatened team. We need to take the game to them and wipe them out.

Exactly, I hope the team responds and comes out blazing. Really really want us to batter Swansea.

Didn't we start with 2 wingers against Newcastle and win - only to change it next home game against Soke and lose.

So we play really well against Chelsea which we should have won and for the next home game?????

Comon guys use your common sense this is Roberto ( 3 holding Mids ) Martinez we are talking about here.

I definitely expect 1 winger at home, Cleverley or Kone to start on the other wing.

Howard
Stones Jags Mori Baines
Besic Barry
Deulofeu Barkley Pienaar
Lukaku

Subs - Mirallas Cleverley Osman for Lukaku Pienaar Besic

Mirallas cant start 2 games in 3 days. Think he could have a real impact against City. Same goes for Deulofeu but think he would have a greater impact against Swansea. Save Oviedo for City as well.

Edited by AlbanyNYToffee

It was the stupid refs fault last match. Ok we should not have let the 2 goals in but the third was what it was. Had the ref called it we all would have been happy with the win.

Instead some chose to bash Martinez.

That Said we do need 2 wingers on but i hope we prioritise the cup game. Would rather have a fresh Mirallas and Deulofeu on for that game.

Id take Pienaar and Cleverley on the wings against Swansea.

That Said we do need 2 wingers on but i hope we prioritise the cup game. Would rather have a fresh Mirallas and Deulofeu on for that game.

I'm concerned about fresh players, too, though I don't have any idea how RM will approach this 5 matches in 14 days problem.

Just sticking with the next 2, Swansea and ManCity, I'd prefer Pienaar and Deulofeu against Swansea, with Mirallas and Lennon coming on at 60 minutes. That way both Mirallas and Deulofeu get important time on the pitch after an 8-day break, but both should still be fresh enough, if RM is willing to start them both in the Cup. I'd prefer Kone be used right now only to sub in for Lukaku, say at 80 minutes against Swansea.

I'm guessing Barry, RM's essential player, starts both Swansea and City, but if Cleverley is truly "match fit," I wouldn't mind seeing him paired with Besic against Swansea. Then Barry with any of Besic, Cleverley, or (a match fit) McCarthy in the Cup.

It was the stupid refs fault last match. Ok we should not have let the 2 goals in but the third was what it was. Had the ref called it we all would have been happy with the win.

Yep. Totally agree Terry should have been called offside. But he still scored. He would have scored even if he wasn't offside. I know it's a technicality, but we let him in the box, and Oscar got him the ball, and he found the back of the net. When our defensive strategy includes the hope that the ref calls offside, it's not a very good one.

We need to prevent that. Clear the zone and park the bus! Amiright?

I'm concerned about fresh players, too, though I don't have any idea how RM will approach this 5 matches in 14 days problem.

Just sticking with the next 2, Swansea and ManCity, I'd prefer Pienaar and Deulofeu against Swansea, with Mirallas and Lennon coming on at 60 minutes. That way both Mirallas and Deulofeu get important time on the pitch after an 8-day break, but both should still be fresh enough, if RM is willing to start them both in the Cup. I'd prefer Kone be used right now only to sub in for Lukaku, say at 80 minutes against Swansea.

I'm guessing Barry, RM's essential player, starts both Swansea and City, but if Cleverley is truly "match fit," I wouldn't mind seeing him paired with Besic against Swansea. Then Barry with any of Besic, Cleverley, or (a match fit) McCarthy in the Cup.

honestly i think the starters can play both swansea and man city. the FA cup match agaisnt Carlisle will be a reserve side anyways so it's more like 2 matches in that time. if RM uses all 3 subs somewhat early against Swansea to rest Romelu, Gerry, and Mirallas our 3 speed players, they should be fresh enough for Man City.

Yep. Totally agree Terry should have been called offside. But he still scored. He would have scored even if he wasn't offside. I know it's a technicality, but we let him in the box, and Oscar got him the ball, and he found the back of the net. When our defensive strategy includes the hope that the ref calls offside, it's not a very good one.

We need to prevent that. Clear the zone and park the bus! Amiright?

What? If he had been onside he wouldn't have been where the ball was so how exactly would he have scored? Telekinesis?

What? If he had been onside he wouldn't have been where the ball was so how exactly would he have scored? Telekinesis?

The way I saw it (I've watched it quite a few times), him being offside didn't serve as a huge advantage. It was just where he was at the time of the pass. I think Oscar would have gotten him the ball even if he wasn't offside.

Now, if Oscar's pass is so far as to force Terry offside, that's one thing. But say he's not playing it so as to put Terry offside; say he's playing it to get the ball to Terry regardless of Terry's position. So I wouldn't necessarily assume that Oscar's pass would have been too far, had Terry been onside.

Or, our guys might have been farther back, and Terry's position was irrelevant. The ball got to him; he scored.

Anyhoo, the main point of my post was to say that we let them in at the last minute. (Which seems to be a habit with us.) Had we kept them out, the referee's non-call would also be irrelevant.

Listen, I'm as crabby as the rest of you about it. Should have been called.

But we also need to defend better than we did. Especially there.

Now, the one thing that was really frustrating is the admission by Hiddink that he "told the referee to add time because of our celebration." Fine. But if the referee was planning on doing that based on that conversation/argument, that is a distinct advantage for Chelsea. If they knew there was to be an extra minute, and we didn't, well, then I see that as being more egregious than the missed offside.

Anyway, this is the Swansea thread. Sorry for the disruption.

The way I saw it (I've watched it quite a few times), him being offside didn't serve as a huge advantage. It was just where he was at the time of the pass. I think Oscar would have gotten him the ball even if he wasn't offside.

Now, if Oscar's pass is so far as to force Terry offside, that's one thing. But say he's not playing it so as to put Terry offside; say he's playing it to get the ball to Terry regardless of Terry's position. So I wouldn't necessarily assume that Oscar's pass would have been too far, had Terry been onside.

Or, our guys might have been farther back, and Terry's position was irrelevant. The ball got to him; he scored.

And if my aunt had a penis she'd be my uncle.

Offside or not, we have done this too many times this season. Its akin to having the hottest lady imaginable, the most amazing foreplay and what not, ready to do the deed, and instead you pull out your smartphone, put on your glasses, and start reading this shit :)

That's what I'm talking about.

That's what I'm talking about.

Except in the Chelsea case...

"Its akin to having the hottest lady imaginable, the most amazing foreplay and what not, ready to do the deed, and instead she pulls out her smartphone and says she has a better offer from next door."

Guest rusty747

If McCarthy is fully fit, how about giving Barry a rest.

Howard

Coleman Stones Jags Baines

McCarthy Besic

Deulofeu Ross Mirallas

Rom

Subs. Robles Galloway Mori. Barry Pienaar Lennon Kone

Guest rusty747

How about we don't make the same mistake as we did last time and then lose him for a few more weeks? :major overreaction alert:

Agreed. But if he is fully medically/match/superduper fit, I would like to see him get some time if he can give Barry a breather. Alternatively, start Cleverley and Besic in the DM roles. It's more about giving Barry a rest than getting McCarthy back imho.

Agreed. But if he is fully medically/match/superduper fit, I would like to see him get some time if he can give Barry a breather. Alternatively, start Cleverley and Besic in the DM roles. It's more about giving Barry a rest than getting McCarthy back imho.

Agreed, he's been very good this year and I personally want our strongest side playing against City.

TC and Besic would be a decent pairing. Perhaps we could see a slight change in formation and go 4141?