IGNORED

Jonjoe Kenny

Weren't people saying the same thing about John Lundstram a few years ago and he turned out to be nothing more than a League 1 midfielder?

He's only 23, Forshaw has managed to become a premier league player. Wouldn't be surprised if Lundstram makes the step up too. Ledson will probably make it as well. Our academy is one of the most productive in the world.

Weren't people saying the same thing about John Lundstram a few years ago and he turned out to be nothing more than a League 1 midfielder?

Have you been watching Kenny in the u20's World Cup? He's been incredible. Along with what Unsworth has said about him, I'm pretty sure he'll have a bright future in the game.

He is playing against under 20's though, not premier league players and seasoned pros. Don't expect too much of him just yet.

I fully understand that but that stamina will be the same whatever level he's at. His crossing ability too. I'm fully aware that he's got a massive step up to become a first team regular but now is the time to push him while he's riding the crest of a wave.

I fully understand that but that stamina will be the same whatever level he's at. His crossing ability too. I'm fully aware that he's got a massive step up to become a first team regular but now is the time to push him while he's riding the crest of a wave.

And while there's a spot available for him to play regular games.

• 1 month later...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-hold-making-decision-over-13423712

I think he's at least earned a chance to show whether he's good enough at Everton until Coleman's back myself. It's not like he's just come from nowhere. He's been very good for our U23s, got great reviews when he's been out on loan and captained his country to honours and was one of the best players at that tournament.

U23 isn't premier league. 90% of those kids won't make it even in a lower table side. He looked rough and out of place against pre season competition.

A loan to championship or lower prem side would be best.

Maybe he doesn't want to send him before Coleman is fit as he offers something a bit different to Martina and Holgate

U23 isn't premier league. 90% of those kids won't make it even in a lower table side. He looked rough and out of place against pre season competition.

A loan to championship or lower prem side would be best.

So did Martina. When Kenny played before he looked lively. May be he will get a game against Savilla.

So did Martina. When Kenny played before he looked lively. May be he will get a game against Savilla.

honestly that's my point, everyone thinks martina is shit and kenny looked the worse of the 2 to me (he got beat so many times). that's why i think holgate is the best option. nothing going forward but at least he's defensively sound.

• 2 weeks later...

He is just physically a bit small. There was something on Sky Sports saying how there is always a trend and at the moment the trend is to go for bigger players.

If you had 2 relatively equal quality players and one of them was 6ft 3 and the other was 5ft 8 then you're going to pick the taller one.

Look no further than Leighton Baines. Kenny is the same type of player

Maybe he's just not a great player. So many young lads look good against the younger age groups and can't make the step up. I've said on here before, less than 5% of the players in your top academy age group will make it into your first team. If you have one come through in a single season you are above the average in the PL.

Us Evertonians seem to expect our kids to be great, in reality the only one of our youth players who is on the team sheet right now is Rooney.

Maybe he's just not a great player. So many young lads look good against the younger age groups and can't make the step up. I've said on here before, less than 5% of the players in your top academy age group will make it into your first team. If you have one come through in a single season you are above the average in the PL.

Us Evertonians seem to expect our kids to be great, in reality the only one of our youth players who is on the team sheet right now is Rooney.

I'd like him to be given the chance to show either way though. It was my attitude with Robles last season. I'm not saying Kenny is the answer and he must be our RB, but I'd like to find out if he could be. Play him against men and lets see how he handles it, I feel he's earned it.

I'd like him to be given the chance to show either way though. It was my attitude with Robles last season. I'm not saying Kenny is the answer and he must be our RB, but I'd like to find out if he could be. Play him against men and lets see how he handles it, I feel he's earned it.

Exactly, he can't do anymore at the level he is playing. He was the stand out FB at the recent World Cup and Unsworth is on record as saying he was the best FB in the league for the u23 last season

We are holding him back now so we should do the lad a favour and either send him out on loan or release him on a free

He hasn't been given the chance to prove himself one way other other, it's clear we are not going to play him so lets loan him out to a championship team so we can see what he has got.

And Davies. But still a fair point.

He hasn't been given the chance to prove himself one way other other, it's clear we are not going to play him so lets loan him out to a championship team so we can see what he has got.

He gets the chance to prove himself everyday in training. If on the training pitch Holgate and Martina look better than him he shouldn't be starting ahead of them. If he can show Koeman in training he is better I'm sure he would be starting.

Edited by StevO

He gets the chance to prove himself everyday in training. If on the training pitch Holgate and Martina look better than him he shouldn't be starting ahead of them. If he can show Koeman in training he is better I'm sure he would be starting.

I was going to say something just like this.

He has to show he is above these guys in training. Maybe he isn't at the moment.

I'm sure Koeman is keeping an eye on him and may be looking for the rigjt lpan move for him. Or looking to see if we get some lowly opposition in cups etc that he can have a run out against

If we dont have anyone who can show more at RB than Martina then we have a big problem!

I just really dont understand why Koeman would bring him in a player he knows really well, that is as bang average as Martina is. I suppose the warning signs were there with Stek!

Possibly a reason for Koeman wanting Martina in is more for his attacking abilities rather than his defensive abilities.

For a while now, the full backs have been becoming more an attacking player than a defensive player. That's why more teams play with 2 so called defensive type midfielders. The full backs push in, the centre backs split wider and a DCM drops into the gap.

We've noted recently that Martina has looked good going forward. And he has. Maybe that's the role he's been given. When we need to be more defensive, maybe Holgate or the like will play.

We've seen a few teams playing with attacking players in the full back positions. Man Utd with Young and Valencia. Chelsea with Moses. Man City do it too. These come to mind straight away. Possibly it's why Koeman was willing to try DCL out there. Although that was no good.

Old schoolers will struggle to get their head around it. Its just another evolution of the game.

Decent article...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/feb/21/the-question-are-full-backs-full-blown-attacking-players-now-chelsea-antonio-conte

Possibly a reason for Koeman wanting Martina in is more for his attacking abilities rather than his defensive abilities.

For a while now, the full backs have been becoming more an attacking player than a defensive player. That's why more teams play with 2 so called defensive type midfielders. The full backs push in, the centre backs split wider and a DCM drops into the gap.

We've noted recently that Martina has looked good going forward. And he has. Maybe that's the role he's been given. When we need to be more defensive, maybe Holgate or the like will play.

We've seen a few teams playing with attacking players in the full back positions. Man Utd with Young and Valencia. Chelsea with Moses. Man City do it too. These come to mind straight away. Possibly it's why Koeman was willing to try DCL out there. Although that was no good.

Old schoolers will struggle to get their head around it. Its just another evolution of the game.

Decent article...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/feb/21/the-question-are-full-backs-full-blown-attacking-players-now-chelsea-antonio-conte

This can be the only explanation. I would understand it more if he was played as a wing back when we play with 5 at the back but its more of a surprise in a 4 where defending is required. It also confuses me even more when DCL was picked at RWB and Davies ahead of Martina. None of it makes sense.