IGNORED

Now Martinez has gone, who should get the nod...

Lowensda

well why don't you name him as you havnt even tried.

as you criticise other selections ?

I'm hoping Martinez turns it around, although that hope is fading.

I think SteveO's shout of Rafa is a brilliant idea, but I doubt the he would come as he would probably see it as being disrespectful to Liverpool.

Realistically I think we will go with a manager with a proven track record of getting clubs into Europe, and experience of European football,so its Lucian Favre for me.

Moyes a traitor !, that would make Howard Kendall a traitor in 87, we all loved Howard for what he did with Everton, but the man left us, simple as that, he could never have been certain that he would ever come back, so he was leaving for a new challange and more money.....why did Moyes leave.

Yep Howard did come back but couldn't repeat those glory years, thing is we still love the guy.......even though he left us.

Moyes kinda put us on the football map again after some poor seasons, cementing us as a pretty certain top 6 team, with at times some pretty good football, that seems lost sometimes amid the hatred of him leaving us to better himself.

Point is on Moyes, not sure he's right for us at the moment, but there are far worse.

On Rafa, he called us a small club, that was just to fit in with the rs, look at us over the lst 10 years or so, besides the odd lucky cup win, for money spent, livrepool are not really any better than us and most people know this.

Rafa, I think he would do a job here, he probably wouldn't come due to the rs, but saying I wouldn't rule him out because of the banter 'small club' rubbish.

Out of the two I'd try Moyes again.....unless we could get someone better.

On Martinez, he's got us playing better than most prem team, we just can't defend or kill teams off..........if he would/could adapt I'd keep him.How long can we wait, end of the season maybe.

I've already said stick with Roberto.

Regarding Moyes the stabbed us in the back jibe comes from him refusing to sign a new contract enabling us to get compensation off United.

I'll never forgive him for dropping 4 of our best players at Anfield when Gerard scored a hatrick.

He sacrificed us against Liverpool to win a cup game at Sunderland.

He was all for himself.

The traitor thing wasn't really aimed at you, couldn't even remember who'd said it, you aren't alone I don't think in your thoughts on Moyes, I was just putting it out there that other 'great' managers (Howrad) have infact done things for their own gain.

I think if Moyes came back, he'd put heart and soul into the job, probably because of how he left us, that I think could just make him a half decent shout.

You say Moyes was all for himself, I'm pretty sure Martinez isn't that different.

So you would have Rafa the fat waiter who called us a small club.

No thanks.

I'm not saying he wasn't disrespectful to us, he was.

What I'm saying is he is good manager with, knowledge of the PL and a record of getting teams into the Champions League. He also knows how to assemble a squad and developed young players quite well.

He will never join us, but someone with his skill set would be ideal.

I'm not saying he wasn't disrespectful to us, he was.

Off the cuff remark due to frustration and wanting to win. Too much made of it for me.

But I'm still sticking with Roberto, Michael Owen had it right today imo; one of the best sides he's seen all season just needing small tweaks. Sure many Evertonians were shouting at the TV when he said that because (some, hopefully few) would rather be right than see us succeed.

Off the cuff remark due to frustration and wanting to win. Too much made of it for me.

But I'm still sticking with Roberto, Michael Owen had it right today imo; one of the best sides he's seen all season just needing small tweaks. Sure many Evertonians were shouting at the TV when he said that because (some, hopefully few) would rather be right than see us succeed.

Speak for yourself

My hope is that Martinez finds the right balance in the team, I like him as a manager and a person, but my hope is fading. Its like when Ardiles managed Spurs years back, great going forward but not enough emphasis on defense. The balance of the team was wrong and they failed.

I hope Martinez can sort it out, and as Owen said we have a very talented defense so it should be just tweaking the tactics. But the fact we are into Jan of season 3 and this still has not happend is worrying.

My hope is that Martinez finds the right balance in the team, I like him as a manager and a person, but my hope is fading. Its like when Ardiles managed Spurs years back, great going forward but not enough emphasis on defense. The balance of the team was wrong and they failed.

I hope Martinez can sort it out, and as Owen said we have a very talented defense so it should be just tweaking the tactics. But the fact we are into Jan of season 3 and this still has not happend is worrying.

We're one good striker, defender and midfielder away from being a top team, some of the so called 'big' boys will be praying Martinez CAN'T get those players and tweak it, because if he does, few teams will beat us.

We're one good striker, defender and midfielder away from being a top team, some of the so called 'big' boys will be praying Martinez CAN'T get those players and tweak it, because if he does, few teams will beat us.

I don't think we're short of any first 11 players. I think our first 11 should be a match any side. It's down to tactics for me. He could tweak this team without any additions. Fair enough you can never have enough good players.

Guest rusty747

A new 'keeper such as Butland who can organise and boss his back four would help a lot. Robles has done well and I would like him given a chance to the end of the season but, realistically, I just don't think he is quite good enough. I wouldlove him to prove me wrong though.

I know I'm not popular for saying this but I don't see any difference between Tim and Robles.

Again on Sunday he flapped at crosses, punched the ball five yards...the same as Tim and the same as against city.

If we're going to replace Tim it needs a new face.

I would love to see Robles vault me, really would.

I don't think we're short of any first 11 players. I think our first 11 should be a match any side. It's down to tactics for me. He could tweak this team without any additions. Fair enough you can never have enough good players.

You lost me here definately.

By comparison with the top 6 I would say:

- Goalkeeper: Very far away. Only Mignolet is as weak as Howard. De Gea, Hart, Cech, Courtois and Lloris are top notch.

- Defense: Two good full backs that are weak defending, three good CB underperforming. Then again, on the comparison I do not think that they are that far away from the rest of the league, but they leak goals with incredible individual mistakes.

- Central midfield: As much as I love Barry - McCarthy, they are not Schweinsteiger - Schneiderlin, or Cazorla - Coquelin or Fabregas - Matic. They would be on the lower end of the 2nd tier (with Liverpool and Tottenham ones)

- Wingers: I feel Deulofeu has been performing very well, Mirallas / Kone not so much. However, the wingers of all the other top 6 teams are pure quality, I don't think we are close to this. Maybe Deulofeu becomes De Bruyne or Hazard one day, but it will not be this year or the next.

- Attacking midfielders: Barkley. Let's compare to: Eriksen, Silva/Yaya Toure, Coutinho, Mata/Herrera/Rooney, Fabregas/Oscar, Ozil. Again, for me, quite a distance there.

- Strikers: Lukaku is top notch and his performances have been very good this season. This is a department I'm confident it is a match. Not everyone has an Aguero on their team, but the Girouds and Kanes are on par if not inferior.

Bench: We are nowhere near the top tier (City, Chelsea and United spend loads of cash on subs like Herrera, Fellaini, Pedro or Bony). The second tier (Liverpool and Tottenham) is much closer.

To summarise, yes we can and should compete with anyone, but with a top 6 finish I would be happy. Obviously the league position is nothing to be proud of at the moment, but to demand competition and top four seems some distance away. If all the young talent flourishes, or if a big money player is sold (Stones?) and new signings are made to improve the team, maybe the expectations can change. For me this is what the situation is at the moment.

Our full backs are among the best in the league.

Barkley is one f the best in the league.

We have one of the best centre backs pairings in the league.

We have the most prolific forward in the league

MC is right. It's not the individual players, it's the tactics. A little tweaking and we could see a big climb up the table.

Our fullbacks are nowhere near the best in the league. They may have been a couple years ago, but the spark is gone. They create/score very little these days and the defensive record speaks for itself.

Last season Baines created more chances than any other fullback.

Coleman is also a quality fullback, his defensive part of the game has improved so much, he is a top player.

I really rate Forster and as much as I rate Hart I'd say bar being at a glamour club he's not far off in terms of ability he'd cost a fortune though

I think Maksym Koval from Kiev would be a great buy very talented only 23 with room to improve and has been loaned out of late so could be surplus

Edited by EFC-Paul

MC is right. It's not the individual players, it's the tactics. A little tweaking and we could see a big climb up the table.

Martinez has always maintained that if you are not a big money club, you have to try different ways in order to challenge and win things, while our current position is disappointing and frustrating I don't think he's far off.

I think some fans would be happy just to finish 6-8 every year and be hard to beat.

I'm pretty confident if Martinez had gone to Munted instead of Moyes he would have challenged for the title.