IGNORED

James Maddison

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/20/tottenham-and-liverpool-interested-in-james-maddison-report-5634131/

Tottenham are reportedly set to make an offer for Coventry City youngster James Maddison.

With two goals in ten League One games during this campaign, the youngster would likely be sent back to Coventry on loan as part of the deal – according to The Independent.

The 19-year-old has also caught the eye of Liverpool, Manchester City, Everton, Newcastle United, and Southampton with his performances for the Sky Blues.

Spurs failed in their attempts to sign the midfielder last summer, but it is thought that the lower league side are likely to accept this offer.

Were they to sign the teenager, this move would bear resemblance to that of Dele Alli from MK Dons to White Hart Lane.

Alli also moved from a lower division as a youngster and is now a regular in the Premier League.

Edited by Lowensda

"Were they to sign the teenager, this move would bear resemblance to that of Dele Alli from MK Dons to White Hart Lane.

Alli also moved from a lower division as a youngster and is now a regular in the Premier League."

Wow, and that's never happened before has it? A top flight team buying a player from a lower league! Twice :o. Whatever next?

Do people really get paid to write such drivel? And presumably he's got a "sports editor" who approved it.

Astounding.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tbh I'd only really class Sig as our proven no10 the rest are either not good enough or not proven yet or could well be sold on....

I rate him tbh definitely looks more than capable of stepping up to this level and I'd much rather have Maddison than Davies in midfield any day of the week 

11 hours ago, tonkaroost said:

Yeah, the only 10 we have is Siggy... we need depth there.

LW, CB, LB, ST, and creative CM for me, in that order. 

Agreed. Klaassen, if he ever comes good, seems more box to box, Rooney is leaving more than likely, and Sig isn'tt exactly young.

12 hours ago, tonkaroost said:

Yeah, the only 10 we have is Siggy... we need depth there.

LW, CB, LB, ST, and creative CM for me, in that order. 

Taking out Rooney, we still have Vlasic, Dowell, Lookman, Sandro and Klaassen who can play in that position. Lookman is probably more of a wide man, Sandro I'm not entirely sure, Klaassen if he ever makes it may be able to play deeper but will probably be the most forward midfielder (like Cleverly was for Watford).

I think he Maddison looks a very bright talent but then so does Dowell. He looks like the type of player I would love us to go for but because of the fuck ups of the last two years, unless we clear out some of those players above, I would worry that he wouldn't play very often and then its a waste of talent.

Maybe we could buy him and loan him back to Norwich but like you say in your second paragraph, we have bigger holes to plug first.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Taking out Rooney, we still have Vlasic, Dowell, Lookman, Sandro and Klaassen who can play in that position. Lookman is probably more of a wide man, Sandro I'm not entirely sure, Klaassen if he ever makes it may be able to play deeper but will probably be the most forward midfielder (like Cleverly was for Watford).

I think he Maddison looks a very bright talent but then so does Dowell. He looks like the type of player I would love us to go for but because of the fuck ups of the last two years, unless we clear out some of those players above, I would worry that he wouldn't play very often and then its a waste of talent.

Maybe we could buy him and loan him back to Norwich but like you say in your second paragraph, we have bigger holes to plug first.

I don't think any of the players you mentioned are natural 10s, besides Dowell. Lookman and Vlasic are definitely wingers in my eyes, and from what I've seen of Klaassen he's more of a number 8. I'v also looked at Sandro as a striker, but admittedly I haven't seen much of him. 

I think Madison is miles ahead of Dowell(who should go back on loan) at the moment, and Sig is going to need someone challenging him for that 10 spot(assuming we get a LW and he's not pushed out wide).

But yes, we have other positons that need addressing first.

1 hour ago, tonkaroost said:

I don't think any of the players you mentioned are natural 10s, besides Dowell. Lookman and Vlasic are definitely wingers in my eyes, and from what I've seen of Klaassen he's more of a number 8. I'v also looked at Sandro as a striker, but admittedly I haven't seen much of him. 

I think Madison is miles ahead of Dowell(who should go back on loan) at the moment, and Sig is going to need someone challenging him for that 10 spot(assuming we get a LW and he's not pushed out wide).

But yes, we have other positons that need addressing first.

Madison looks a lot more mobile than Dowell and they both look as good as each other on the ball. I think mobility will be important to Silva.

Vlasic to me looks like a 10 but I agree with the other comments.

32 minutes ago, Makis said:

Vlasic had about one decent game and also some poor ones so I don't get this expectation that he's ready to play the #10 position for us.

Sadly I agree with you. I think we wanted him to be good so much due to us being so poor that we hung on to anything he did that was average or above. 

He has potential, but he didnt look anywhere near ready for the the top six yet. He still has time on his side though... so here’s hoping.

I disagree Vlasic simply has not had the game time to show what he can do in a settled team with a decent manager. 

From the times I have seen him play he looks a skilful player who drives forward and can beat his man. Until he and some of the other players have had a chance we simply cannot judge them.

53 minutes ago, Bill said:

He played regularly for Hadjuk, in League and Europa games,  has played for Croatia in every age group since he was 14 years old, so the premier league won't frighten him.

I hope to see him given a good run under the new  regime.

spot on again bill, inter milan was after him, he's no fluke.

7 hours ago, Makis said:

Vlasic had about one decent game and also some poor ones so I don't get this expectation that he's ready to play the #10 position for us.

He was our best player under Koeman in that type of role and then gradually got frozen out. Even though Lookman got the plaudits I thought he was MoTM against Limassol. 

He was crap at the end of the year but he looked to me like a player who had lost his confidence. 

He wont just suddenly come in and replace Siggy but when you have him, Dowell, Lookman, Sandro and even Walcott wanting to playing in and around the striker you will just create more problems by bringing in another body in the same position (unless the plan is to get rid of some of the others).

I find all of this talk of 'number 10s' slightly bizarre. Going back to the days when players wore numbers 1 to 11 on their back, the number 10 was the second striker in a 4-4-2 formation. As we have a manager who will only play one out and out forward, its a redundant concept. Silva will probably play three of the names being mentioned in this thread at any one time, like Spurs do with Eriksen, Ali and Son. So I think there very much would be room for Maddison. 

1 hour ago, nogs said:

I find all of this talk of 'number 10s' slightly bizarre. Going back to the days when players wore numbers 1 to 11 on their back, the number 10 was the second striker in a 4-4-2 formation. As we have a manager who will only play one out and out forward, its a redundant concept. Silva will probably play three of the names being mentioned in this thread at any one time, like Spurs do with Eriksen, Ali and Son. So I think there very much would be room for Maddison. 

Unless your name was John Hurst, Catterick played him in the back four,  yes I agree it was mostly  4-4-2  or on good days it would be 4-2-4.