IGNORED

US Men's National Team Thread 2016

We've got our first friendlies starting this weekend. Apparently most of the veterans in the player pool hate the January camp so we should see some new faces. That's probably good considering how stale the pool looked in the middle/end of 2015. Personally, I think we are in a down period with little chance for immediate improvement. Who are our next Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan? Can John Brooks be the center back that Jurgen thinks he can be? Can Cameron, Bedoya, and Fabian Johnson set up and be the leadership for the next World Cup run? And who the hell is going to score goals?

Good stuff Keith. For me there are 4 things that need to happen.

1. New keeper - Guzan and Howard are past it. Is it hamid, Johnson, or Yarborough or someone else.

2. Proper striker - just say no to altidore. So it's up to Zardes johannsson Wooten Morris etc to establish themselves as the number 9.

3. Back 4 - I think it's gotta be some combination of Cameron Brooks with fullbacks I have no clue. Chandler garza? Maybe bring back lichaj for RB and find a proper LB. Yedlin?

4. Play the best players at their best position. Fabian on the left wing. Bedoya on the right or ACM. Bradley as a DCM.

I think there are some large holes and personally think Dempsey jones etc should all fade away, I want the young guys playing and learning and growing together.

Mark, great comments.

1.) I don't worry so much about the keeper situation because American seems to always come up with solid players at that position. There's a bunch of guys, and you mentioned many of them, that could step up. Klinsman needs to look at all of them.

2.) Jozy scored today, but goodness we could use another striker. Can Johanssen make the leap? He's been hurt most of this season at Werder.

3.) I saw a tweet that said JK has started a different back 4 in 100+ straight matches. Hey JK, how about some consistency there?

4.) Totally agree.

Also, saw that C. Pulisic, 18 years old, got on the pitch for Dortmund this weekend. Miazga headed to Chelsea. My hope for 2016 is that the young guys we have in Europe start thriving for their clubs. Saw another kid today is moving to Porto, that should be good too.

Athletic and tall. Decent on the ball as well.

He needs experience though. Decision-making could be better, but I think it's okay given his age. Needs to be more aggressive too. I can see him getting the smaller cup matches.

I think John Brooks is the better prospect overall, but Miazga definitely has tons of potential.

Edited by TonkaRoost

• 2 weeks later...

Christian Pulisic, 17 years old, started for Dortmund today and played 45'. He was subbed at halftime. He created a chance for Aubameyang but Aub pulled it wide. Other than that he was sort of invisible, but then again, he's 17 years old and started against a really good Leverkusen team. Really excited to follow his development. Could be a big player as an attacking mid for the US team for a dozen or even 16 years.

Fabian Johnson had another goal this weekend. Bedoya had a goal but it was disallowed. By and large our 2 best players in Europe. Yedlin has been getting better with each match but definately needs to work on his defending.

omar gonzalez in the form of his life in mexico though, seems a change of scenery has really turned it around for him.

I watched a decent about of DC United last year and never really noticed him. Hope he succeeds though.

he got some US call ups and the facebook group i'm on says he should play regularly for the USMNT in a ACM creative type player role.

with hearts he will get Europa next year so let's hope he shines there and maybe gets a prem move.

he got some US call ups and the facebook group i'm on says he should play regularly for the USMNT in a ACM creative type player role.

with hearts he will get Europa next year so let's hope he shines there and maybe gets a prem move.

That's interesting -- I've always thought of him as a DCM, but I didn't watch DC that much either.

That's interesting -- I've always thought of him as a DCM, but I didn't watch DC that much either.

maybe we're both right and he sits like barry in a dcm role but is able to dictate play and pass in transition from there. all i know is the US soccer facebook group guys love this guy, and he's still kinda young-ish so maybe he will come into his own in europe in time for russia 2018.

with the 2 WC qualifyers fast approaching i'm interestsed to see who will make the cut.

Guzan

Yedlin Gonzalez Brooks Ream

Bradley Williams

Bedoya Dempsey F. Johnson

Wood

That's what i'd like to see. i don't want to see beckerman, altidore, or any of the MLS re-treads.

I'm pretty close to that, except I don't want Guzan anywhere near this team. We've got too many talented young goalkeepers to waste time with Guzan. He's been a good soldier for the US team, but unfortunately for him, he's not good enough to get an extended run. We should be getting Bill Hamid, Ethan Horvath, and Cody Cropper ready. (Though Hamid is hurt.)

Also wouldn't mind seeing Geoff Cameron at CB. He's been pretty good for Stoke.

Mark, do you think Dempsey has anything left? I watched a Sounders match last weekend and he looked past it.

I'm pretty close to that, except I don't want Guzan anywhere near this team. We've got too many talented young goalkeepers to waste time with Guzan. He's been a good soldier for the US team, but unfortunately for him, he's not good enough to get an extended run. We should be getting Bill Hamid, Ethan Horvath, and Cody Cropper ready. (Though Hamid is hurt.)

Also wouldn't mind seeing Geoff Cameron at CB. He's been pretty good for Stoke.

Mark, do you think Dempsey has anything left? I watched a Sounders match last weekend and he looked past it.

derp good calls keith, i knew something wasn't right. yeah Cameron would be a good shout, he's played MF and CB for Stoke. So he could replace gonzo in mine or d williams.

as far as keepers guzan just got the starting job back and hamid is injured and sean johnson sucks now. so it's like guzan howard, or rimando really. the young guys no one is really stepping up yet sadly. but yeah i'd love a young guy there.

we have guatemala twice, home and away. should be 2 wins, anything less and Juergen gets more bad press.

I keep seeing that Bingham is getting called up (from SJ I think). I wonder if he'll be any good. Definitely think Hamid or Horvath are the ones for the future though.

So glad we seem to at least have a keeper or 2 for the future.

Really hoping Juergen gets these 2 matches right so we can be done with qualifying this round.

So glad we seem to at least have a keeper or 2 for the future.

Really hoping Juergen gets these 2 matches right so we can be done with qualifying this round.

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed watching a USA match, to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if Guatemala bests us.