IGNORED

US Men's National Team Thread 2016

US under 23s drew 1-1 at Columbia. Badly needed result and getting the away goal was key. The Columbia goal was a debatable PK.

Great news. Got a date night with the wife so I'll miss the match tonight but hope for another good result for the senior team.

Sounds like barring a disaster the u23 should be alright, the crowd at home will be massive and give them a huge boost.

Keith anyone stand out that looked real good?

Great news. Got a date night with the wife so I'll miss the match tonight but hope for another good result for the senior team.

Sounds like barring a disaster the u23 should be alright, the crowd at home will be massive and give them a huge boost.

Keith anyone stand out that looked real good?

Jordan Morris looked good when he could get on the ball. Tim Parker, a CB I had never seen, looked really good. It is hard to take a lot away from it because I bet Columbia had 75% possession. The defense was pretty good overall, especially given the pressure that they were under.

Jordan Morris looked good when he could get on the ball. Tim Parker, a CB I had never seen, looked really good. It is hard to take a lot away from it because I bet Columbia had 75% possession. The defense was pretty good overall, especially given the pressure that they were under.

Makes sense Keith away in a hostile environment park the bus and pray for a draw, glad we got the result.

Good to hear Morris looked good I haven't seen him for Seattle but have read he's been not great for them so far, hope this gets him going.

Just got home and see the halftime score, OUch. Who's to blame keith? I expect at least to salvage a draw otherwise klinnsman could really be on some thin ice.

Klinsman played 6/11 starters out of position. There was no energy, no inspiration. They scored a goal off a fucking goal kick right down the middle of the pitch. This is the sort of loss that, in a just world, would result in the coach getting fired before he gets on the plane and having to pay his own fare back to the US.

We hadn't lost to Guatemala since 1988 when we were playing with college players. Hugely embarrassing.

Third in the group now i would say win at home or were out now. Guatemala will play an already qualified Trinidad who might field youngster and the St Vincent is a gimme.

Juergen better find a new gameplan.

The unimaginable scenario of not qualifying for 2018 is becoming imaginable.

I would not be surprised if we don't qualify. Klinsmann has once again shown that he is incapable of playing players in form. Why Beckerman instead of Danny Williams? Why is he still holding onto players that should not be in this WC cycle?

Even when we win we look like shit. The players look like they don't know what they are doing. I honestly feel like Klinsmann has destroyed this WC cycle already. I want a great coach, not a coach formerly known as a great player.

I would not be surprised if we don't qualify. Klinsmann has once again shown that he is incapable of playing players in form. Why Beckerman instead of Danny Williams? Why is he still holding onto players that should not be in this WC cycle?

Even when we win we look like shit. The players look like they don't know what they are doing. I honestly feel like Klinsmann has destroyed this WC cycle already. I want a great coach, not a coach formerly known as a great player.

Spot on

Zusi and pulisic added. Fabian injured, Brooks injured, besler injured. In the us soccer Facebook group I posted my lineup and saw some other good ones, here they are

Mine

Guzan

Yedlin birnbaum Cameron Castillo

Bradley Nagbe

Bedoya Nguyen Zardes

Wood

Other good ones

Guzan

Yedlin Gonzo Cameron Castillo

Bradley

Nagbe Nguyen Zardes

Wood Dempsey

Guzan

Yedlin Cameron gonzo Castillo

Nagbe beckerman bradley

Wood Dempsey altidore

Edited by markjazzbassist

Got the needed win but obviously still think Jurgen needs to go. As long as we're in it he'll be in charge though.

Same for me. There was much more effort tonight and that's all it really takes to beat Guatemala. Should make everyone that much angrier that we lost to them on Friday.

The U23's were absolutely outclassed by Columbia, IMO. They managed 1 shot on goal over 2 matches. The goal last night was an own goal. Columbia's finishes was clown shoes like otherwise there could have been a half a dozen more goals. Our midfield was repeatedly dominated in the first half. They gave the ball away in dangerous positions at least 5 times. We've got a long way to go to be truly competitive on the world stage and Jurgen clearly is not moving us closer. If anything, we are further away from a World Cup semi final than when he started. Jurgen even said that qualifying for the Olympics was the most important thing and we weren't close. (He can't even claim the U17 team as they were eliminated from the U17 world cup in the group stage.) Youth programs right now are in shambles.

Same for me. There was much more effort tonight and that's all it really takes to beat Guatemala. Should make everyone that much angrier that we lost to them on Friday.

The U23's were absolutely outclassed by Columbia, IMO. They managed 1 shot on goal over 2 matches. The goal last night was an own goal. Columbia's finishes was clown shoes like otherwise there could have been a half a dozen more goals. Our midfield was repeatedly dominated in the first half. They gave the ball away in dangerous positions at least 5 times. We've got a long way to go to be truly competitive on the world stage and Jurgen clearly is not moving us closer. If anything, we are further away from a World Cup semi final than when he started. Jurgen even said that qualifying for the Olympics was the most important thing and we weren't close. (He can't even claim the U17 team as they were eliminated from the U17 world cup in the group stage.) Youth programs right now are in shambles.

didn't watch the match but thanks for the overview. scoreline was close but seems like due to your description we were spanked. sad really, barely making WC and missing out on the olympics 2 times in a row. Juergen out!

didn't watch the match but thanks for the overview. scoreline was close but seems like due to your description we were spanked. sad really, barely making WC and missing out on the olympics 2 times in a row. Juergen out!

The other frustrating thing was that the only player who stood out at all was Tim Parker, who is a 23 year old center back. Center back is not really an area of concern for the USMNT with John Brooks and Cameron Carter Vickers likely to spend a lot of years together there. At 23, he might improve but he really should be playing with the senior team. He played really well though, maybe he'll eventually be better than Brooks or CCV.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulisic started for Dortmund in their derby match against Schalke today. Had a great opportunity for a goal but just missed. Apparently Dortmund rested their to three goal scorers--which is kind of a confident thing to do against your derby rival.

And as I write this he had a wonderful backheel for an assist. WOW!

• 3 months later...

One for our American friends or people who follow the MLS close enough.

I've tuned in a few times to watch Colorado to check up on Tim Howard and how he's doing and I must admit Marlon Hairston has caught my eye, 22 year old who plays right wing and is an absolute live wire.

Have I just caught him at the right moments or is he regarded as a player with some potential?

Seems a bit like that Yedlin you lot have. Plays RW but says he is a RB? Looks a bit small for a RB to be honest.

Yeah. Yedlin was fantastic at RB for Sunderland last year though, Big Sam said he improved all year and really grew to own that spot. He's back at Spurs now. We'll see what happens with him.

Yeah he is small, but he's fast as hell, kinda like baines but faster, uses his speed to make up for his size. Baines has better positioning.