IGNORED

Salvatore Sirigu

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/01/31/report-everton-show-interest-in-psgs-salvatore-sirigu-deal-unlik/

According to The Times, Everton have shown an interest in signing Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Salvatore Sirigu - but a summer deal is more likely than one before Monday's deadline.

The Toffees have been quiet during this month's transfer window, signing only one player as Shani Tarashaj agreed a move from Grasshopper Zurich, only for the forward to return to the Swiss club on loan until the end of the season.

It remains to be seen whether under-fire manager Roberto Martinez makes a move before the deadline, but The Guardian believe that the Toffees are on the verge of signing Lokomotiv Moscow forward Oumar Niasse in a huge £13.5m deal.

Now, The Times report that Everton also have their eye on Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Salvatore Sirigu, who has become something of an outcast in the French capital.

The 29-year-old had racked up almost 150 appearances for the club since signing from Palermo in 2011, becoming PSG's first choice goalkeeper, but the signing of Kevin Trapp from Frankfurt over the summer means that Sirigu has started just one league game this season, and could look to leave.

The Times believe that, with Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard coming in for criticism this season, Martinez may now look to bring in a new goalkeeper, and Italian international Sirigu is a top target - but it's stated that he is more likely to move in the summer than on Monday, where a transfer wouldn't be quite such a rush.

Would be a great Tim replacement.

Edited by Lowensda

I really don't see the point in signing a 29 year old. I know it's not ancient for a goalkeeper but we should be looking long-term rather than needing to be looking again fairly soon. Goalkeeper is the a position you want nailed down for a while (unless you bring in someone and they do so well that we lose them).

I really don't see the point in signing a 29 year old. I know it's not ancient for a goalkeeper but we should be looking long-term rather than needing to be looking again fairly soon. Goalkeeper is the a position you want nailed down for a while (unless you bring in someone and they do so well that we lose them).

DO you rate Joe Hart?

He's 28.

At 29, a Goalkeeper is prime. I completely agree for the future, but if you want a decent 5/6 years, then Sirigu is a class keeper.

we signed Migel Martyn at 36, he played till 39.

For me its a bit of a risk signing a young keeper unless they are in the Buffon, De Gea, Neuer bracket and even then they tend to have some rawness that you can't legislate for as being temporary or a problem. (Think Richard Wright)

The good young keepers cost a fortune. Paying £10m for 5 years peak performance 29 year old and no sell on is a hit we must take I think.

DO you rate Joe Hart?

He's 28.

At 29, a Goalkeeper is prime. I completely agree for the future, but if you want a decent 5/6 years, then Sirigu is a class keeper.

Did I say anything about not rating him? I thought I explained it pretty well, so I'm not sure why rating Hart comes into it.

• 2 months later...