IGNORED

Djibril Sidibé

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

doesn't make a ton of sense, he is 27.  i would rather someone younger to take the mantle from coleman.  this guy would also have no sell on value.

Well to be fair he is 26 (and just turned 26 this past July). I don't think he's better than Coleman, so while he would be excellent cover I think I'd like to have someone younger with a higher ceiling than Coleman.

EDIT: I stand corrected. He just turned 27.

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

doesn't make a ton of sense, he is 27.  i would rather someone younger to take the mantle from coleman.  this guy would also have no sell on value.

Not all ( or even mostly) about age and sell on ability. Even so, he's close to 4 years younger than Coleman as his birthday was last week. Would give us some quality in the position for at least 2-3 years by which time Seamus is likely to be going the way of Baines. When that time comes we can look for "the future". We have quite a young squad now, I wouldn't want everyone we bring in to be 22.

2 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Well to be fair he is 26 (and just turned 26 this past July). I don't think he's better than Coleman, so while he would be excellent cover I think I'd like to have someone younger with a higher ceiling than Coleman.

EDIT: I stand corrected. He just turned 27.

Coleman is still at a level where it's probably not easy to buy a player who is a definite upgrade without spending big. We are spending a lot this window so I think it makes a lot of sense to bring in someone of a similar level without breaking the bank. No reason to do everything all at once. He seems like he could, at the least, push Seamus and sometime in the next 2-3 years we can find that long term replacement without feeling any panic. He obviously will no Digne as well which is a positive.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Can't understand why they sent Jonjoe out on loan and then look to buy a fullback, JJ and Holgate could cover for seamus whenever they're needed.

Maybe they don't think JJ and Holgate are good enough and worry about Coleman's fitness or just think he needs upgrading as well?

Just now, Makis said:

Maybe they don't think JJ and Holgate are good enough and worry about Coleman's fitness or just think he needs upgrading as well?

Probably this neither have filled me with confidence they will hope at least one of them cuts it though 

The German game will be good for Kenny so I'll hold some hope 

If he doesn't cut it we've got two competent RB's who won't cost the earth whilst we look elsewhere 

Just now, EFC-Paul said:

Probably this neither have filled me with confidence they will hope at least one of them cuts it though 

The German game will be good for Kenny so I'll hold some hope 

If he doesn't cut it we've got two competent RB's who won't cost the earth whilst we look elsewhere 

Agreed. Not every move is going to be (or should be) earth shattering. If this happens it strikes me as a good, sensible piece of business. If Coleman starts to slip in a couple years then we can start looking for "the future".

Just now, SpartyBlue said:

Agreed. Not every move is going to be (or should be) earth shattering. If this happens it strikes me as a good, sensible piece of business. If Coleman starts to slip in a couple years then we can start looking for "the future".

in a couple of years? He started to slip massively last season. Credit where it is due, he did pull himself together but still he needs solid competition, if not replacing, which this fella will do.

Just now, aaron said:

in a couple of years? He started to slip massively last season. Credit where it is due, he did pull himself together but still he needs solid competition, if not replacing, which this fella will do.

He looked fine towards the end of last year and his been good this preseason. Whether it's one year or three it makes sense to get a solid RB in place now and look for the next big thing when that time comes.