Sign in to follow this  
duncanmckenzieismagic

Djibril Sidibé

11 hours ago, Btay said:

Look up not down. Transfer policy needs to improve and I see no point signing average players.

My comment was more tongue in cheek if anything, fella. Sidibé is looking good at the minute; although I have noticed he tends to like having an unnecessary extra touch or two of the ball before playing it. Maybe that's just a case of him not being used to the pace of the Premier League yet. Like you alluded to though, time will tell if he's good enough.

Am I the only one that thinks he is actually pretty crap at crossing? 

I think he is full of energy and I think he is decent defensively but to me it looks like he has been having crossing lessons from Coleman.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think he is full of energy and I think he is decent defensively but to me it looks like he has been having crossing lessons from Coleman.

Couldn't understand the logic in the signing really

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

I’m with you. Not seeing what others are seeing myself.

I was looking forward to seeing him, but less so now I have. He seems slow, clumsy, turns like an artic. So easy to get past. Not sure how good his crosses are as he is just so reluctant to cross. 

Not the answer in that position.

14 hours ago, Bailey said:

Thought that was a prerequisite for being an Everton RB?

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

he has an assist and a hockey assist in what 3 games played?  that's more than coleman usually gets all season.  he can cross.

He can cross just not to a team mate very often 😉

30 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Probably because we don’t get people in the box enough. 

exactly, dcl kean richarlison all like to be outside the box and work in.  which is hurting us.  digne and sidibe and walcott kept slinging in crosses for no one to be  there, literally no one.  it makes me go crazy.  

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Probably because we don’t get people in the box enough. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

exactly, dcl kean richarlison all like to be outside the box and work in.  which is hurting us.  digne and sidibe and walcott kept slinging in crosses for no one to be  there, literally no one.  it makes me go crazy.  

Then he shouldn't be crossing the ball. May as well boot it out of play.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

Then he shouldn't be crossing the ball. May as well boot it out of play.

His job is to cross the ball into the box and put it in a dangerous area. It’s the job of others to get in there on the end of those balls. 

He could always just pass the ball to the edge of the area for those players to pass responsibility for shooting on to someone else until the opportunity is gone like. 

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

The bit what annoys me the most is lack of movement to the near post. 

There was one example against Spurs - can't remember who was involved but if they would have made the run to the near post they would have dragged the defender and freed the player running late into the box... Exacalty where the ball ended up. 

I don't know if it's a lack of ability or teamwork but some of the movement is awful. 

59 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

His job is to cross the ball into the box and put it in a dangerous area. It’s the job of others to get in there on the end of those balls. 

He could always just pass the ball to the edge of the area for those players to pass responsibility for shooting on to someone else until the opportunity is gone like. 

His job is to find a teammate. If there isn't anyone in the box, for whatever reason that might be, you don't put in a cross. 

Either way, whether it's 1 person or 10 people in the box I don't think he is a particular accurate crosser. 

I thought he was okay against Southampton but his stats suggest he had a world class game. I’m unsure if I’m overly hard on him but I sometimes see him as awkward/clumsy. In fairness we’ve been spoilt to athletic and technical rb’s for the last decade in Coleman, Hibbo & Neville that any RB would struggle to live up to expectations...

3ECCE7D7-7B0A-40A8-8BAC-31600BFE1C49.jpeg

On 06/11/2019 at 22:54, Bailey said:

His job is to find a teammate. If there isn't anyone in the box, for whatever reason that might be, you don't put in a cross. 

Either way, whether it's 1 person or 10 people in the box I don't think he is a particular accurate crosser. 

Bailey before every game you need pull every player on what you think there not good at, so they can go out prove you wrong. 
That’s what you call a tactical master at work on how to get the best out of your players, instead of Silva’s approach of there all very good.  

4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Bailey before every game you need pull every player on what you think there not good at, so they can go out prove you wrong. 
That’s what you call a tactical master at work on how to get the best out of your players, instead of Silva’s approach of there all very good.  

Was an absolute peach of a ball to be fair. ( wish he’d whipped one in first against spurs at the death even more after it! )

37 minutes ago, Btay said:

I thought he was okay against Southampton but his stats suggest he had a world class game. I’m unsure if I’m overly hard on him but I sometimes see him as awkward/clumsy. In fairness we’ve been spoilt to athletic and technical rb’s for the last decade in Coleman, Hibbo & Neville that any RB would struggle to live up to expectations...

3ECCE7D7-7B0A-40A8-8BAC-31600BFE1C49.jpeg

Bray mate could you post that in the Southampton match day please, so my mate Shukes gets to see it , he was asking for some stats and evidence on Sidibe performance. 

Just now, Palfy said:

Bray mate could you post that in the Southampton match day please, so my mate Shukes gets to see it , he was asking for some stats and evidence on Sidibe performance. 

Haha sure thing 😂

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

If we do sign him permanently I hope our RB's will be him and Kenny (or a new signing if we decide to let him go) and Coleman is used like Baines is now i.e. not at all.

Agreed I think him and Kenny would be good for a few years. 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

No problem Palfy, any suggestions?

7 hours ago, Btay said:

Was an absolute peach of a ball to be fair. ( wish he’d whipped one in first against spurs at the death even more after it! )

I think he was aiming for the front post 😉

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Wasn’t good today was it. 

I don’t believe he’s been good in most games. If you watch him you’ll see his positioning is poor and he gets dragged out of position too much. Also dives in too much. He’s not impressed me at all. 

I think he had a very easy game yesterday. He was up against no-one when attacking and the had the most cover he will get this season and yet still conceded a good chance. 

I don't think he is a bad player at all, but he isn't anything to get carried away by. 

On balance, last week I think he was made to look worse due to the ineptitude of Walcott, so he wasn't as bad as he first appeared then either. 

From what I’ve seen he’s average; moments of very good matched with moments of very bad. Like most FBs. Good back up criteria but so is Kenny. I don’t see us keeping him past his loan but I won’t be disappointed to see him stay either. 

Yesterday showed he's a wing-back, not a full back.  He can defend ok 1v1, but he lacks the concentration and ability to track runners when the ball is on the other side of the pitch.  He needs the extra cover of 3 cbs, and the main reason to have him on the pitch is for charging forward, which again he can afford to do with 3 behind him.  I know it came undone a bit at the end, but I would go 3 at the back again, he'll give us an outlet when we're under the kosh and provides really good balance to our usual left hand bias.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think he had a very easy game yesterday. He was up against no-one when attacking and the had the most cover he will get this season and yet still conceded a good chance. 

I don't think he is a bad player at all, but he isn't anything to get carried away by. 

On balance, last week I think he was made to look worse due to the ineptitude of Walcott, so he wasn't as bad as he first appeared then either. 

And don’t forget made to last ditch tackles in the middle of the area, with Holgate Keane and Mina nowhere to be seen, without him we would have been out the game long before their last minute goal. 
He made playing as wingback look easy he defended against their LB and when we  won the ball back he broke at speed leaving their left sided players in his wake which made it look like he had no one marking him, it’s because he out thought and run them. 

10 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

Yesterday showed he's a wing-back, not a full back.  He can defend ok 1v1, but he lacks the concentration and ability to track runners when the ball is on the other side of the pitch.  He needs the extra cover of 3 cbs, and the main reason to have him on the pitch is for charging forward, which again he can afford to do with 3 behind him.  I know it came undone a bit at the end, but I would go 3 at the back again, he'll give us an outlet when we're under the kosh and provides really good balance to our usual left hand bias.

That’s rubbish he covered the 3 CH play it back and your see, we could have done much better if Digne had the ability to take the game to Leicester in the same way as he did. 

1 hour ago, chicagoblue said:

A wing back and a full back are just the same mate.
The only difference is a wing back is what people call a full back who can’t defend. So is basically not a good enough full back. 

That’s no my opinion on this player by the way, jury is still out for me. 

45 minutes ago, StevO said:

A wing back and a full back are just the same mate.
The only difference is a wing back is what people call a full back who can’t defend. So is basically not a good enough full back. 

That’s no my opinion on this player by the way, jury is still out for me. 

Maybe it's just semantics, but if I hear a player is a full back I think he plays in a 4, bias towards defending.  Ex A is Tony Hibbert

If a player is a wing-back he primarily plays in a back 3/5 and has a bias toward attacking.  Ex B is Adama Traore

I'm being a bit extreme with those examples, but I see two broad categories.  Sure there's overlap, and the best wide defenders can do both jobs, but that's the exception.  Can you imagine a Tony Hibbert in a back 5?  Or Traore in a back 4?  Seemed to me that putting Sidibe in a 5 gave him a license to really exploit the space in front.  When he's a in 4 I'm constantly nervous that the opposite will exploit the gap he vacates.  At least a back 3 give you some cover for that.  The other option there would be a super mobile DM (Gana type) who would instinctively slide over and cover, we don't seem to have that right now.

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

That’s rubbish he covered the 3 CH play it back and your see, we could have done much better if Digne had the ability to take the game to Leicester in the same way as he did. 

Nail on head here. Digne was really really poor. Sidibe put some really good balls in that were begging to be put in. Moved us up the pitch nicely and we lacked that on the left completely.

I think the 3-4-3 will work best with Richarlison wide right and Bernard wide left - Digne isn’t an athletic powerhouse and still needs to link up with someone and pass around them, which Bernard and him can do. Richarlison can cut inside and open that side of the pitch for sidibe to bomb on.

2 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

Maybe it's just semantics, but if I hear a player is a full back I think he plays in a 4, bias towards defending.  Ex A is Tony Hibbert

If a player is a wing-back he primarily plays in a back 3/5 and has a bias toward attacking.  Ex B is Adama Traore

I'm being a bit extreme with those examples, but I see two broad categories.  Sure there's overlap, and the best wide defenders can do both jobs, but that's the exception.  Can you imagine a Tony Hibbert in a back 5?  Or Traore in a back 4?  Seemed to me that putting Sidibe in a 5 gave him a license to really exploit the space in front.  When he's a in 4 I'm constantly nervous that the opposite will exploit the gap he vacates.  At least a back 3 give you some cover for that.  The other option there would be a super mobile DM (Gana type) who would instinctively slide over and cover, we don't seem to have that right now.

A good full back can both attack and defend. There should never be an excuse for a full back to only have one side of the game. As I said, a wing back is just an excuse for a defender who can’t defend. 

Traore is no defender. 

34 minutes ago, StevO said:

A good full back can both attack and defend. There should never be an excuse for a full back to only have one side of the game. As I said, a wing back is just an excuse for a defender who can’t defend. 

Traore is no defender. 

Traore isn’t even much of a footballer tbh. He’s an athlete. 

I‘be not been impressed with Sidibe at all. I know that’ll split opinions but for me the most important aspect of a defender is that they can defend. My opinion of him is that he can’t as he switches off too often and lunges in frequently. His attacking play is ok but nothing more. I would love him to prove me wrong but I’m confident he won’t. 

6 hours ago, barryj said:

I‘be not been impressed with Sidibe at all. I know that’ll split opinions but for me the most important aspect of a defender is that they can defend. My opinion of him is that he can’t as he switches off too often and lunges in frequently. His attacking play is ok but nothing more. I would love him to prove me wrong but I’m confident he won’t. 

Maybe he will get better the more he plays

He's aggressive I like that but I agree he does need to improve defensively. If he can keep lunging in similar to Wan Bissaka and win the ball I'll be happy. 

1 hour ago, Btay said:

Is he fast though? I saw a stat that at half time his top speed was like 30.9kmph whereas Maddison nearly cracked 33kmph. Always thought sidibe was kind of rapid

Probably clocked Madison taking one quick step sideways.  He's never looked rapid in a straight line.

6 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

Probably clocked Madison taking one quick step sideways.  He's never looked rapid in a straight line.

Well I’ve never thought Maddison was blessed with pace so to see him out sprint sidibe ( according to stats ) was a surprise.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's absolutely no coincidence that every time he's played the opposition have gone for him over and over.

Exactly this. I’d have loved nothing more than him to have turned out to be a great player but it simply isn’t the case. He’s regularly caught out of position and looks clumsy in almost all tackles. An example was his best tackle yesterday that was with the outside of his foot. He just doesn’t have the  natural instinct of a defender. How he managed  to get sucked in to the centre (see 1st min yesterday) when we have three CBs is beyond me. As for their second goal he was a spectator. He was again out of position so that a 50 yard pass could be taken in and controlled by Mane with no pressure. After that he just watches the goal unfold. He not the only one that deserves heavy criticism but he’s directly responsible for lots of goals we’ve conceded. 

50 minutes ago, MC11 said:

Think he’s good going forward. However he leaves us wide open when he does. Not a major issue for me though 

With the current shortage of fit players, is there a case for playing him right midfield in front of Coleman?