Sign in to follow this  
Mirallas

Vermaelen

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/04/09/exclusive-agent-of-arsenal-defender-holds-everton-talks/

Is this reliable? It starts with "caughtoffside understands that...", so I think not, but it's still a rumour. Crazy how every player I mention would be an interesting idea sooner or later actually gets linked with us. (Lukaku, Bacca, Vermaelen, ...)

My opinion is that a good Vermaelen is probably a nice idea in terms of having a good footballing defender, but he may not be the top choice if keeping clean sheets is your objective.

Was an absolute beast when he first showed up at Arsenal, great defender and wasn't afraid to get forward and score. Not so sure about him anymore.

Haven't the article but I imagine this is bollocks. They'll want at least £10-12m I would think, plus his wages will be pretty high. And he's 28 so before you know it he's over 30, and he's also had some injury problems in the past. I'd be amazed if Roberto even considers for a split second blowing half his budget on a position that isn't a priority at all and is pretty well covered

I think he's going to be very cheap tbh.

Out of interest, what makes you think that? Is he coming to the final year of his contract or something? Even if he is then he would still command a decent fee. Has his lack of playing time for arsenal affected his starting position for his country? If not then he'll also have a World Cup in which to showcase himself to potential suitors

Out of interest, what makes you think that? Is he coming to the final year of his contract or something? Even if he is then he would still command a decent fee. Has his lack of playing time for arsenal affected his starting position for his country? If not then he'll also have a World Cup in which to showcase himself to potential suitors

Because he's usually injured. The only times he was ever linked to other teams, the price named was always ridiculously low (2m-5m). Even though he's a decent footballer, that is the normal law of football economics. He's not a starting player and usually injured.

Because he's usually injured. The only times he was ever linked to other teams, the price named was always ridiculously low (2m-5m). Even though he's a decent footballer, that is the normal law of football economics. He's not a starting player and usually injured.

so why would we sign him?!

If he has ever been linked to a transfer in the last 4 years and quoted at £2 to 5m, then that story was also bollocks :)

why would we want the guy we just shredded for 3 goals and totally dominated? no thanks, i'd rather give duffy and browning a chance.

The same thing could've been said about Jags-Alcaraz-Stones-Baines after the Derby. An argument based on one match isn't that compelling, in my opinion. MIxed feelings about this one. He used to be a top defender, but lately he's struggled it would seem.

exactly, do you see stones/jags/distin/alcaraz to red shite rumors? no because they don't want them. same thing.

So... by that logic, are we going to start seeing Naismith to Arsenal rumors?

exactly, do you see stones/jags/distin/alcaraz to red shite rumors? no because they don't want them. same thing.

I'd say it's because they know the players are under contract and settled. The RS would jump at a chance to sign Jags and Stones if they were available which they're not so nothing to write about.

I think he could be good for us for a year or two, if cheap and can stay fit.

thats my major concern, no doubting his ability. The other concern would be his wages

There was never the slightest chance of us landing Vermaelen. If I was posting on this thread earlier, I would have followed usual Unobtainable Player Protocol and pretended I didn't want him.

We landed Lukaku though.

Crazy money for him! Can't believe United and Barca wanted him.

His style of play would fit well with both of them imo. He's always very aggressive, getting very close to the forwards and stepping forward to try to intercept the pass into them. He needs a partner to cover for him and sweep up behind him though.

I just don't think he's good enough Steve. Well, for United anyway, Barca's style of play doesn't really need great centre halves, as they keep so much possession. He just seems to have too many mistakes in his game from what I've seen of him.

Interested in coming to the prem again. Not getting enough games at Barcelona. The rumour is from Footballtransfers, there is a link but for some reason my phone refuses to copy it. Might have an automatic bull filter.

Interested in coming to the prem again. Not getting enough games at Barcelona. The rumour is from Footballtransfers, there is a link but for some reason my phone refuses to copy it. Might have an automatic bull filter.

Merged and new link:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-transfer-rumours-toffees-want-9063881

That was a fairly old link tho Matt. Ive seen a new link today. Ill try to find it again

Sorry mate, just fired a shot at google and didn't really check it. Got a lot on at the moment

I think he is worth a punt as long as the financial package is ok. Sure he's had his injuries but he's a top player if you can get him on the pitch

This

IF he can stay injury free he's a very good player

He used to be quite a good defender at Arsenal, however since leaving he's been a sicknote, I would prefer us to chase a defender that can play more than 10 games, ability wise he is very good though.