Sign in to follow this  
MikeO

Marco Silva

16 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

bailey what is your degree?  what is your line of work?

I have a sports management degree and a business degree and I am now training to be a lawyer (whilst working as a trainee lawyer). 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I have a sports management degree and a business degree and I am now training to be a lawyer (whilst working as a trainee lawyer). 

cool

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

Ahh that explains all the bullshit then 😉

i was gonna say that explains the need to argue and prove he's right all the time, but i like yours better :rofl:

8 hours ago, Chach said:

No point comparing the 80's with now, literally and figuratively a different league.

When you're comparing how long a club continue to have faith in an under-performing or failing manager I don't see the fact that it's "a different league" has anything to do with it.

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

When you're comparing how long a club continue to have faith in an under-performing or failing manager I don't see the fact that it's "a different league" has anything to do with it.

when you say "club" are you referring to the fans or the board/ownership?

1 minute ago, Chach said:

when you say "club" are you referring to the fans or the board/ownership?

The people who make the decisions on hiring and firing managers.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

The people who make the decisions on hiring and firing managers.

I would say now vs back then those people are getting 24/7 feedback from media/social media and the money has changed the culture, would an English club have even considered a foreign manager back then? I'm sure there's examples but unlikely there's the options there is now.

15 minutes ago, Chach said:

I would say now vs back then those people are getting 24/7 feedback from media/social media and the money has changed the culture, would an English club have even considered a foreign manager back then? I'm sure there's examples but unlikely there's the options there is now.

The culture was still fire the "failures", Sir Alex Ferguson was famously one game away from the boot at United. Just look at the lower and even non-league teams over here, the culture hasn't noticeably changed in decades.

10 hours ago, StevO said:

Seems to be a complete lack of understanding of emotions by a few people here. You don’t have to scream to be angry, you don’t have to smile to be happy. Keane does not have to punch the ground to show the fans he fucked up, he knows it himself, his team know it, what is to gain by outwardly expressing his disappointment? Ridiculous. 

I'm moaning that he expresses it at his own mistakes but doesn't look too fussed if it's not his fault. Too many in the team aren't a team, we don't have a win together lose together mentality and it shows. 

Not about fist pumping but you expect them to at least dig in. Yet most of ours collapse. Under Moyes players like Tim Cahill upped their game whenever we conceded regardless of their part in it. 

9 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I'm moaning that he expresses it at his own mistakes but doesn't look too fussed if it's not his fault. Too many in the team aren't a team, we don't have a win together lose together mentality and it shows. 

Not about fist pumping but you expect them to at least dig in. Yet most of ours collapse. Under Moyes players like Tim Cahill upped their game whenever we conceded regardless of their part in it. 

I get what you mean now Pete, but those types of characters are dying out in the game. Maybe even in society in general, young lads aren’t the same anymore. I know that’s a massive generalisation but I interview a lot of 16-18 year old lads in my job, they don’t have the outward emotion or the stronger mentality of the older guys I deal with. The ones that do seem to either be not very smart or have a really bad attitude. Again more generalisations. 

6 minutes ago, StevO said:

I know that’s a massive generalisation but I interview a lot of 16-18 year old lads in my job

I know where you're coming from with that. Not all, but a great deal care more about their social media than real life, you watched some kids playing footy and they're more concerned about showing off their goal celebration than actually scoring. 

36 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I know where you're coming from with that. Not all, but a great deal care more about their social media than real life, you watched some kids playing footy and they're more concerned about showing off their goal celebration than actually scoring. 

A lad works for me who’s 19, he’s more concerned that his top, shorts and socks match his boots. When I was that age i wouldn’t be seen dead in matching kit, look like I was trying too hard. 😂

9 hours ago, StevO said:

I get what you mean now Pete, but those types of characters are dying out in the game. Maybe even in society in general, young lads aren’t the same anymore. I know that’s a massive generalisation but I interview a lot of 16-18 year old lads in my job, they don’t have the outward emotion or the stronger mentality of the older guys I deal with. The ones that do seem to either be not very smart or have a really bad attitude. Again more generalisations. 

Smells a bit like the 'millennial snowflake' bollocks that parents like to chastise their kids with these days... Were kids of 16 to 18 ever clued up, switched on and driven? No, you learn all that out in the real world. 

In a football context, I'd suggest it's harder to find those 'characters' through the academy systems because it's just all a bit too cosy. For me the mental side of the game has to come through senior football and the ideal is to have 17 - 18 year old going straight in, maybe at lower league level, and having to learn to fight for a place, otherwise they might never develop it. 

On 09/01/2019 at 10:51, StevO said:

Seems to be a complete lack of understanding of emotions by a few people here. You don’t have to scream to be angry, you don’t have to smile to be happy. Keane does not have to punch the ground to show the fans he fucked up, he knows it himself, his team know it, what is to gain by outwardly expressing his disappointment? Ridiculous. 

I think you misread my intentions.

Jags never used to shout and go red in the face, but you could clearly see the emotion on him when he was upset, angry etc. 

I just do t see anything from Keane at all. He may be hurting inside, I just don’t het that impression from him.

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

I think you misread my intentions.

Jags never used to shout and go red in the face, but you could clearly see the emotion on him when he was upset, angry etc. 

I just do t see anything from Keane at all. He may be hurting inside, I just don’t het that impression from him.

That’s fair enough shukes, I just don’t like people thinking someone isn’t feeling inside because it’s not shown on the outside. 

I've been watching all the Everton matches since Cenk Tosun joined the team.
When Sam was at the team last year, the team was too unstable. 

Marco brought a technical structure to the team with new players. But Marco has a big mistake. He still hasn't understood English Football.

Totally wants to get continuous efficiency with technical players. But English football is based on physicality.
You can't sit the team without a pivot scorer. Marco can't be successful in Everton.

4 hours ago, StevO said:

That’s fair enough shukes, I just don’t like people thinking someone isn’t feeling inside because it’s not shown on the outside. 

No I don’t mean it like that. But I do think players are so professional these days, that they lose a little commitment due to it.

Not many players who will fight for their shirt anymore. Guess I’m stuck in the 80/90s haha

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

No I don’t mean it like that. But I do think players are so professional these days, that they lose a little commitment due to it.

Not many players who will fight for their shirt anymore. Guess I’m stuck in the 80/90s haha

I know what you mean now. The game is so sterile, no characters anymore. I think that’s why so many people liked Besic, his attitude was a bit of a throw back.