IGNORED

Manchester United (Away) Sunday April 3

markjazzbassist

We have 2 weeks off for the international break, who knows who will get injured during that period (sad but true). After the shambolic display agaisnt Arsenal it's time for a change of formation (but we won't see it). Here's what I want to see and what we will see

Want aka attack the hell out of that shit back line.

Robles

Coleman Jags Mori Baines

Barry

Gerry Barkley

Lennon Mirallas

Lukaku

what we'll really see

Robles

Coleman Jags Mori Baines

McCarthy Barry

Lennon Barkley Cleverley

Lukaku

We have 2 weeks off for the international break, who knows who will get injured during that period (sad but true). After the shambolic display agaisnt Arsenal it's time for a change of formation (but we won't see it). Here's what I want to see and what we will see

Robles

Coleman Jags Mori Baines

Barry

Gerry Barkley

Lennon Mirallas

Lukaku

what we'll really see

Robles

Coleman Jags Mori Baines

McCarthy Barry

Lennon Barkley Cleverley

Lukaku

Gerry as a centre midfielder?

Maybe push Barry and Barkley together in the middle and play Gerry behind Rom, but no way would I have Gerry as a centre midfielder.

Edited by Hafnia

Guest rusty747

I fear we are going to get well and truly twatted here. United will be basking in the glory of their victory over City and have just started believing that fourth is still possible.

We will have 2 weeks to lick our wounds, feel sorry for ourselves and convince ourselves that the league doesn't matter too much provided we win the FA Cup.

5-0 to United.

Edited by rusty747

Gerry as a centre midfielder?

Maybe push Barry and Barkley together in the middle and play Gerry behind Rom, but no way would I have Gerry as a centre midfielder.

Barry is still suspended, anyhow. Hopefully he's enjoying his extended rest!

I actually like the idea of having Gerry as one of two roaming midfielders with Ross. But, I like it against the Tony Pulis teams. Even though United isn't the United of old, they still command more respect in midfield than that. We would get exploited for our defensive deficiencies. Now, if Roberto forced all of our players to work hard defensively to win back the ball, we could talk about it against teams like ManUre.

Barry is still suspended, anyhow. Hopefully he's enjoying his extended rest!

I actually like the idea of having Gerry as one of two roaming midfielders with Ross. But, I like it against the Tony Pulis teams. Even though United isn't the United of old, they still command more respect in midfield than that. We would get exploited for our defensive deficiencies. Now, if Roberto forced all of our players to work hard defensively to win back the ball, we could talk about it against teams like ManUre.

dang he got a 3 match ban? i thought it was a yellow then red isn't that only a 1 match ban?

have you ever watched barca? they play a 3 midfield but only 1 is a central player, busquest. INiesta and rakitic roam and create.

Have I ever watched Barca? Maybe that's the problem with Martinez - he thinks watching Barca means we can be Barca...

As for the 3 central midfielders (not 1) Google todocampista. Deulofeu isn't one - he's an "attacking midfielder"

Todocampista - jack of all trades can play central midfield at any depth. Deulofeu is not a central midfielder, he can't tackle for a start.

that's fine i don't need them to. my formation has 4 defenders and a sitter in barry. baines and coleman don't need to bomb on, just defend. we have 5 attackers. there are plenty of formations without 2 sitter mate.

Lukaku v Smalling is the key. Smalling was MOM against City but he is prone to panic and throw in a reckless tackle. If Rom pressures him, particularly in the penalty area, I can see us getting a penalty and Smalling a yellow or red.

I think that if Rom gets to see any of the ball it'll be a step in the right direction! Only touches he had on Saturday were when he became frustrated and started to drop deep looking for it - meaning then that we had nobody in the middle.

Two comments from Roberto's post-Arsenal reaction interest me, as they relate to our next match. (1) “Unless you can show you are a player to drive Everton forward, it will be difficult to see how you can stay in the side." (2) “The competition for places is as good as it’s ever been."

Now, admittedly, there may be little reason to take anything he says seriously. But just in case he was actually angry, what to make of these 2 statements? The first seems a warning that several, even many, of the usual starters may not start v. ManU. And the second seems to say he has solid options at many/most positions, so no one is guaranteed to start. Taken together, these statements suggest we might see changes to the starting lineup in the next match.

For me, McCarthy, Funes Mori, and Barkley should be dropped. Maybe these 3 will produce sparkling performances over the international break, but even then I'd prefer Roberto back up his threat. Do we really have vigorous "competition for places"? Ok, well, let's see if a few new faces will produce more actual, relentless effort in the next match.

Robles

Coleman Jagielka Somebody?? Baines/Oviedo

Stones Gibson

Deulofeu Kone Mirallas

Lukaku

Lennon for Deulofeu at 55-50 minutes. Cleverley on when Gibson runs out of gas. McCarthy or Besic on late if by some miracle we're winning.

Strange? Yes. Weaker than our usual starters? I don't know. Is there or is there not real "competition for places"? For all his mediocre play, isn't Kone in fact more likely than Barkley to be in the box for one of Deulofeu's crosses? Surely Mirallas should start. Can't Gibson "pick a pass"? Somebody to pair with Jagielka? Galloway? You're right, that's crazy, so make it Holgate or Pennington. Or Funes Mori, if he scores 2 or 3 headers against Chile and Bolivia.

Roberto will probably make only 1 change from Arsenal, bringing Osman in, because the usual suspects will undoubtedly have shown in international competition that they are the players to "drive Everton forward" and because "the competition for places is as good as it's ever been," i.e., not so good.

Lennon was one of the better performers against Arsenal.

Dropping him would be a very negative statement to the team.

Yes, you're probably right. So replace Kone with Lennon in my starting lineup. Move Lennon to RW for Deulofeu at 60 minutes, bring on Niasse or Kone to play behind Lukaku.

My weird lineup has no chance to be the starters. I am simply taking Roberto at his word. But he was probably simply blathering again, and will not actually make real changes to challenge his players. Osman, maybe.

Guest rusty747

Well, lets be honest, there is nothing left to play for in the league so I would be happy to play several youngsters and/or recent bench warmers to give them a chance and to give certain first choice players a kick up the arse. We can lose every game to the end of the season and not get relegated and we can win every game to the end of the season and not get Europe so lets use this opportunity to find out who wants it, who stays and who goes!

Well, lets be honest, there is nothing left to play for in the league so I would be happy to play several youngsters and/or recent bench warmers to give them a chance and to give certain first choice players a kick up the arse. We can lose every game to the end of the season and not get relegated and we can win every game to the end of the season and not get Europe so lets use this opportunity to find out who wants it, who stays and who goes!

At a million pounds per final position in the league? No way. We should be pushing for the highest finish possible.

Progress is not only made season to season, its made across seasons.

You are right. Any supposed progress has gone down the toilet mate. Let's see this progress:

2013-2014: 5th

2014-2015: 11th

2015 - 2016: 12th (at the moment)

Would you like to see the stats as well? We also have the luxury of looking back at what Roberto did at Wigan (tactically and otherwise), and his history seems to be very consistent other than the one-off season we had of the team he inherited with Moyes. Is it any coincidence that we only conceded 39 goals that entire season? We're at 41 right now with 9 games remaining. Is that progress for you? Is 4 home wins in the better part of a year progress enough for you? Let's give Roberto five years, and let's see what top tier players we will hold onto at the conclusion of the five.

Edited by chalkpie

I recall last year around January when we had the Mirallas penno incident - he was scared enough to make dramatic changes to how we played, he allowed the defenders to clear their lines and we got away from danger. I remember thinking "is he going to do what is right to get out of trouble rather than obey his own arrogant pride" - he did.

Roll on another year and the same pattern emerges, he just can't help himself, he surely realised the value of defend first and then play. He needs to feel the heat to make the right calls. I'm sorry but he is like the bloke who can't be told - he will use the cushion of points to "show case" his footballing priniciples - when that cushion goes he will then hit the emergency button. Twice in this season we have had periods where we got into the chasing pack and it turned out that the team looked like they had their pipe and slippers thinking they were the dutch team of the 70's....

so nearly a very good manager - but most certainly an arrogant, stubborn fool who has lost most of his credibility with fans, players and the media.

You are right. Any supposed progress has gone down the toilet mate. Let's see this progress:

2013-2014: 5th

2014-2015: 11th

2015 - 2016: 12th (at the moment)

Would you like to see the stats as well? We also have the luxury of looking back at what Roberto did at Wigan (tactically and otherwise), and his history seems to be very consistent other than the one-off season we had of the team he inherited with Moyes. Is it any coincidence that we only conceded 39 goals that entire season? We're at 41 right now with 9 games remaining. Is that progress for you? Is 4 home wins in the better part of a year progress enough for you? Let's give Roberto five years, and let's see what top tier players we will hold onto at the conclusion of the five.

Which is two places higher than we were at this stage last season and we're seven points better off. We'd lost twelve games last year and this we've only lost nine.

Now that's progress!

:clutching_at_straws_by_dirtypai:otvwhistle:

Guest rusty747

I still think we may need to go one pace back (playing the youngsters/ reserves) for a few games to go 2 paces forwards - revitalising current first team starters.

If we just shamble along to the end of the season without at least trying new personnel and systems then it will have been a wasted opportunity.

I understand the argument about a million £ per finishing place but do we want to maximise revenue this season or finish top of the league next season?

Edited by rusty747

here we go, besic looks to be fully fit again having played both bosnia matches. my updated lineups

Robles

Coleman Jags Mori Baines

Besic

Gerry Barkley

Lennon Mirallas

Lukaku

what we'll really see

Robles

Coleman Jags Mori Baines

McCarthy Besic

Lennon Barkley Cleverley

Lukaku