IGNORED

Where is everybody from?

chalkpie

I've been on TT a few years now (holy shite) and I feel like I am getting to know you bloody' wankers, but I really have no idea for the most part EXACTLY where everybody lives or is from. I assume a bunch of you are from Merseyside, but maybe I'm wrong?

So, if you want to play along, please state the following:

1) Where you grew up

2) Where you currently live

Please be specific. Don't just say I like in the UK, and I was born between me mums thighs. Maybe if you want to get hi-tech and post some pictures/photos of your town, house, cat, backyard, etc I guess that would be nifty too.

Who is gonna start? OK, I guess I will since this stupid idea was mine.

OK, here goes. MY real name is............drumroll (no, its not drumroll)..........FRANK! But most everybody calls me Frankie. Some of my mates call me dick, or assmunch.

Anyway, I was born and grew up in Rochester, NY. Its considered upstate NY, near Lake Ontario in western New York.

I now live in New Paltz, NY, which is considered the mid-Hudson Valley. It is about 90 miles north of NYC, and easily accessible by train. Actually quite a beautiful area, lots of woodlands, mountains, hills, hippies, armpit hair, and fairly nice folk. Here is a picture of the Mohonk Mountian House, which is exactly about 4 miles from my house. It is a famous hotel in the area, very popular, and way overpriced. The Shawangunks (or just Gunks) are the mountains here that are famous from climbers, which come from all over the world. I support Everton Football Club, but sometimes they don't support me. Oh, the Mohonk Mountain House:

shutterstock_64408297.jpg

OK, somebody else go.

Steve (of course).

Born and raised in east Cornwall, although my ancestors are from west Cornwall. Moved to North Wales to study and research physics at university in Bangor. For a little under two years, I worked in central London while living in Rugby (disliked the place) and moved to the US the day Heathrow's Terminal 4 opened in 1986. In the US, I've lived twice in the Boston area, twice in south Florida, and for the last 25 years in the suburbs of Atlanta.

There are some interesting links between Cornwall and Georgia. For example, these two locations (and a third in Brazil) are the world's major sources of china clay. Also, Cornwall is known as a granite kingdom, whereas Stone Mountain (east of Atlanta) consists in large part of granite. It's the middle of the three pictures at this link.

http://www.thetravelexperts.net/places-to-visit-in-georgia/

Edited by Cornish Steve

Tom

Born in the west of Belgium. Still live in the Bruges area. It's probably one of the best areas in the world to live imo in terms of the common denominator between mobility (in the middle of western Europe), wealth (for the time being...), safety (unless the Germans attack again) and a decent football team (now champions of Belgium since yesterday).

John

Born in Liverpool in 1936. Left school at 15 and moved to Leeds (Dad's job moved). Moved south in 1969 to my firm's Head Office in Windsor (famous for Windsor Castle). Bought a house in Maidenhead which is about 5 miles from Windsor and have lived in Maidenhead ever since. Maidenhead is a nice town on the river Thames in the Royal County of Berkshire, about 30 miles from central London and 14 miles from Heathrow Airport. (Fortunately, we are on the landing flight path not the take-off so don't suffer much from noise.) Nice area to live in,the only problem being that there is no decent football within reasonable travelling distance. Reading is the nearest, about 20 miles, but who wants to watch Reading? I support my local Rugby Union team on Saturday's and follow the football on TV.

We have our first stalker :lol:.

1960 born in Uxbridge. Middlesex (although Middlesex no longer exists so Uxbridge is now in "West London").

Moved to Guildford, Surrey at two (my parents helped).

Left home at seventeen (1977) to move in with girlfriend, still in Guildford.

1985 moved to Wimbledon, which is where I'd worked since '77.

1994 headed South West after quitting my job with serious health issues.

Spent a couple of months living in Axbridge, Somerset with my parents before time in Wells (where I met my wife), Glastonbury, Shepton Mallet then moved to Devon in 1998. Cullompton first, then Tiverton and the last ten years in a village called Willand. Not as idyllic as it once was due to a lot of new housing development and industrial units being built but surrounded by lovely countryside and close to Exmoor, which I love.

Spent a couple of months living in Axbridge, Somerset with my parents before time in Wells (where I met my wife), Glastonbury, Shepton Mallet then moved to Devon in 1998. Cullompton first, then Tiverton and the last ten years in a village called Willand. Not as idyllic as it once was due to a lot of new housing development and industrial units being built but surrounded by lovely countryside and close to Exmoor, which I love.

Mike - I have explored the Blackdown Hills area on Google Maps (I love armchair travelling, yes its a geeky hobby) and didn't realize that you were so close. I am actually a huge fan of maps in general (I can name all England counties on a blank map). That area is absolutely gorgeous. I haven't done Exmoor as much but I know that is considered a popular tourist area along with Dartmoor. Do you ever get into an area like Blackdown Hills and just explore for fun, or does this forum hold you back? :)

Anyway, when we ever get back to the UK, I desperately want to explore Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, and Dorset. The closest we got was Bath, which isn't close at all, but I LOVED it there. On the way down from the Cotswolds we hit Castle Combe, which for my money might be the most beautiful small village I have ever seen anywhere.

Mike - I have explored the Blackdown Hills area on Google Maps (I love armchair travelling, yes its a geeky hobby) and didn't realize that you were so close. I am actually a huge fan of maps in general (I can name all England counties on a blank map). That area is absolutely gorgeous. I haven't done Exmoor as much but I know that is considered a popular tourist area along with Dartmoor. Do you ever get into an area like Blackdown Hills and just explore for fun, or does this forum hold you back? :)

Anyway, when we ever get back to the UK, I desperately want to explore Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, and Dorset. The closest we got was Bath, which isn't close at all, but I LOVED it there. On the way down from the Cotswolds we hit Castle Combe, which for my money might be the most beautiful small village I have ever seen anywhere.

Some lovely walks around the Wellington memorial at the highest point of the Blackdowns. Go up there quite often.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/86974861

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/86974819

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/86974772

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/86974680

I was in Bath on Saturday, my mum lives there, though she's getting a bit poorly so we're in the process of trying to move her down near to us.

Tyler

Born in the "Golden Triangle" of Mississippi.

Moved to Seattle, Washington in 2014 for work.

Like MJB, I'm trying to move back closer to MS for family. I just had my first daughter a year ago, and the wife and I have been realizing how hard it is to raise a child without any family support. Just for reference, Seattle is about 2600 miles from my hometown.

I'm actually back in MS now visiting family (and for a job interview).

Edited by TonkaRoost

My name is Ste, Steve, my Mum calls me Stephen.

Spent my younger childhood years mostly in Page Moss, Liverpool for our foreign supporters, moved to St Helens just before I started in high school. Moved to Preston just over five years ago, got a promotion to a different site with work, stayed there for a year before moving to Chorley. I now work in Liverpool again for a different company, but staying in Chorley.

I'd love to move to the states one day, though I'm not sure where just yet. Trying to see as much if it as I can first.

Tyler

Born in the "Golden Triangle" of Mississippi.

Moved to Seattle, Washington in 2014 for work.

Like MJB, I'm trying to move back closer to MS for family. I just had my first daughter a year ago, and the wife and I have been realizing how hard it is to raise a child without any family support. Just for reference, Seattle is about 2600 miles from my hometown.

I'm actually back in MS now visiting family (and for a job interview).

yes it's so tough man, i hope you are able to get that job. i'm going to be applying this evening to about 7 position in Cleveland, here's to hoping!

Looks a nice spot that John.

Mike

When we first moved to Maidenhead we lived about 5 minutes walk from the river but it used to flood most years in that area. When we moved, we decided to go on high ground to the north-west of Maidenhead in Pinkneys Green, where we have been for over 30 years now.

Gethin. Originally from a village called Botnewydd, 2 miles outside Caernarfon in North Wales. Went to Bangor University which was a bit too close to home so living in Cardiff now since 4 years (right opposite the Cardiff city stadium - been to watch them once but felt nothing towards them so haven't been again... Mind you it was a freezing and wet Sunday afternoon in December and they drew 0-0 against Sheffield Wednesday. By far the worst game I have ever seen!)

I'm Welsh first language as you probably guessed from my name and I'm now teaching in a Welsh Primary School in Cardiff. I still don't know if I like teaching or not after four bloody years. Looking to stay in Cardiff for the distant future as it's a lovely city with so much things to do here compared to my previous home in Bontnewydd (bank manager would disagree though...) Still like visiting to see the old parents and I suppose with a teacher's holidays I'm able to do it easily.

Edited by Geth

Gethin. Originally from a village called Botnewydd, 2 miles outside Caernarfon in North Wales. Went to Bangor University which was a bit too close to home so living in Cardiff now since 4 years (right opposite the Cardiff city stadium - been to watch them once but felt nothing towards them so haven't been again... Mind you it was a freezing and wet Sunday afternoon in December and they drew 0-0 against Sheffield Wednesday. By far the worst game I have ever seen!)

I'm Welsh first language as you probably guessed from my name and I'm now teaching in a Welsh Primary School in Cardiff. I still don't know if I like teaching or not after four bloody years. Looking to stay in Cardiff for the distant future as it's a lovely city with so much things to do here compared to my previous home in Bontnewydd (bank manager would disagree though...) Still like visiting to see the old parents and I suppose with a teacher's holidays I'm able to do it easily.

Mae'n dda gwybod eich bod yn fy ffrind Coffi

I'd love to move to the states one day, though I'm not sure where just yet. Trying to see as much if it as I can first.

Where would you think about moving, and what have you seen?

I guess we are in the opposite boat - I would love to move to the UK for a while. I guess the grass is always greener.....

Some lovely walks around the Wellington memorial at the highest point of the Blackdowns. Go up there quite often.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/86974861

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/86974819

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/86974772

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/86974680

I was in Bath on Saturday, my mum lives there, though she's getting a bit poorly so we're in the process of trying to move her down near to us.

Great man! Sorry to hear about your mum. Is she right in Bath proper or nearby suburb?

I always wanted to visit Real World Studios in Box - not sure how that would happen but that place looks amazing.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Real+World+Studios/@51.4189047,-2.2525147,3a,75y,43.77h,85.23t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sC3xIKuyznQcAAAQulFXe5A!2e0!3e2!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DC3xIKuyznQcAAAQulFXe5A%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D238.34343%26pitch%3D0!7i10000!8i5000!4m5!3m4!1s0x487178d7130afe15:0x20632dfb8c87d8b9!8m2!3d51.418786!4d-2.252625!5m1!1e4!6m1!1e1