IGNORED

Where is everybody from?

chalkpie

Stayed in Conwy and saw the castles in both places last August. Loved it!

Glad you enjoyed. Conwy's nice - loads of good traditional pubs there and on a sunny afternoon it's beautiful. Love Caernarfon in its own little way as well. Spent most of my childhood growing up there and the people of Caernarfon are 'characters' so to speak!!

Sorry to hear about your mum. Is she right in Bath proper or nearby suburb?

About a mile from the City centre on a busy road, lot of stress currently within the family over what's best for her that I won't go into; we'd be here all night (well I would be anyway typing out my views). Got to solicitor stage, going back up Wednesday to take her to an appointment, all very sad. Basically two camps, one wanting to do what she wants, the other wanting what they think is best for her. I'm in the first camp. Time will tell.

Gethin. Originally from a village called Botnewydd, 2 miles outside Caernarfon in North Wales. Went to Bangor University which was a bit too close to home so living in Cardiff now since 4 years (right opposite the Cardiff city stadium - been to watch them once but felt nothing towards them so haven't been again... Mind you it was a freezing and wet Sunday afternoon in December and they drew 0-0 against Sheffield Wednesday. By far the worst game I have ever seen!)

I'm Welsh first language as you probably guessed from my name and I'm now teaching in a Welsh Primary School in Cardiff. I still don't know if I like teaching or not after four bloody years. Looking to stay in Cardiff for the distant future as it's a lovely city with so much things to do here compared to my previous home in Bontnewydd (bank manager would disagree though...) Still like visiting to see the old parents and I suppose with a teacher's holidays I'm able to do it easily.

While doing my PhD in Bangor (it was then UCNW, not Bangor University), we hosted an international physics conference. This was a big deal, with top scientists attending from all over the world. The locals organizing the conference felt very bad that they'd "only" invited a local choir, the Caernarfon Male Voice Choir, to sing as the principal evening entertainment. At an earlier conference in Germany, we'd heard a famous organist playing at the church where Buxtehude used to play and Bach visited, for example. After the performance in Bangor, however, conference attendees were gushing in their praise, claiming they'd never heard such passionate and impressive singing anywhere in the world. They didn't believe us when we told them this was just a local choir, and that Wales had hundreds of local choirs.

FYI, in additional to Bangor, my wife and I lived in Llanfairfechan and Rachub.

At an earlier conference in Germany, we'd heard a famous organist playing at the church where Buxtehude used to play and Bach visited, for example. After the performance in Bangor, however, conference attendees were gushing in their praise, claiming they'd never heard such passionate and impressive singing anywhere in the world. They didn't believe us when we told them this was just a local choir, and that Wales had hundreds of local choirs.

Amazing!

About a mile from the City centre on a busy road, lot of stress currently within the family over what's best for her that I won't go into; we'd be here all night (well I would be anyway typing out my views). Got to solicitor stage, going back up Wednesday to take her to an appointment, all very sad. Basically two camps, one wanting to do what she wants, the other wanting what they think is best for her. I'm in the first camp. Time will tell.

Hope it works out for you brother. I know situations like this aren't easy, and when you have conflicting ideas as to what is the best plan, it gets tricky. I lost my old man three years ago due to complications from pancreatic cancer - but when he wanted to thrown in the towel and go into hospice, at first I couldn't and wouldn't accept. But after a short time I realized that this is what HE wanted, and I had to support his decision 100%. It was a shitty time, and I miss him every day. Still my hero to this day. Enjoy each and every day you have with your mother.

Edited by MikeO

Aaron.

Born and raised on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. Currently going to university just outside Boston, but graduating in a week. Headed to NYC for the summer after and then moving to China (spent about a year there as well in total).

Congratulations on becoming a graduate! And enjoy your time in China. In which part of the country will you be staying?

You've probably already guessed the name

31 born and raised in Preston, not a great deal here or to shout about as I'm sure Steve and one or two others know

Joiner by trade but took a career change fairly young over to the railways due to the downturn in trade etc so been on the rails for ten years and driving four of that

It's something I hope will open a path to Canada or Australia one day but on the freight side of things as opposed to commercial

Visited Llanfairfechan a few times for drinkypoos and I am often in Bangor and Caernarfon.

Spent a lot of my childhood holidays in North Wales. Prestatyn, Gronant, Benlech Bay on Anglesey. Everyone spoke Welsh on Anglesey and you always thought they were talking about you, probably were! Recognise all the place names mentioned by Geth and Rubes. Was 'evacuated' to Bangor from Liverpool at the start of the war. Remember going to a school there that only had two classrooms, one for the older kids and one for the younger kids. We were given slates and chalk instead of paper and pencil. Never found out why, but we only stayed for a short time and returned to Liverpool just in time for the blitz!

Spent a lot of my childhood holidays in North Wales. Prestatyn, Gronant, Benlech Bay on Anglesey. Everyone spoke Welsh on Anglesey and you always thought they were talking about you, probably were! Recognise all the place names mentioned by Geth and Rubes. Was 'evacuated' to Bangor from Liverpool at the start of the war. Remember going to a school there that only had two classrooms, one for the older kids and one for the younger kids. We were given slates and chalk instead of paper and pencil. Never found out why, but we only stayed for a short time and returned to Liverpool just in time for the blitz!

Wow.

Some folks think the Welsh are rude because of their language, some people thing the Irish are thick for the same reason. I find both of these ideas totally wrong. Incidentally, why did we get no chance to learn our native languages in school. I learned French and Spanish none of our native languages.

Some folks think the Welsh are rude because of their language, some people thing the Irish are thick for the same reason. I find both of these ideas totally wrong. Incidentally, why did we get no chance to learn our native languages in school. I learned French and Spanish none of our native languages.

Don't agree Rubes, it's caricature stuff. No doubt the odd Welshman will either choose not to talk English to a "visitor" or be unable to but I don't for a minute believe people think it's widespread. Lots of rude English people too.

The "thick Irish" thing has nothing to do with the language; it was just "comedy" vehicle in less enlightened times. Really don't think that English people think that the Irish are thick as a nation. Lots of thick Englishmen.

Didn't learn the languages in school because, if not dead, they're not overly useful when you're looking for a job; bit like learning Latin. I did French and German and both have proved useful over the years; I've never had the need to speak Welsh or Gaelic.

Just the way it is.

Aaron.

Born and raised on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. Currently going to university just outside Boston, but graduating in a week. Headed to NYC for the summer after and then moving to China (spent about a year there as well in total).

Wow, I live on Capitol Hill in DC now. Five or so blocks from the US Capitol Building. If you are ever at home for a match day, would love to share a pint.

My name is Keith.

I grew up in southern Texas, less than two hours by car from the Mexican border. It's a very small town of 2,500 people. I haven't been back but one time since the year 2000. Spent some time in Colorado and Los Angeles, CA along the way. Consider Washington my home now as I've been here 9 years.

Chalkpie -

I've got family in Jacksonville Florida, so that would be an option as it's nice to be by people you know if moving so far from my close family.

Growing up I was lucky enough to go to Florida every other year. My family were in Key West when I was young, such a beautiful place.

Since my teens I've seen New York and DC. In 2013 I went to Orlando (not somewhere to live), Atlanta and Birmingham Alabama.

In 2014 I went to Vegas and Beverley Hills. I would love to live in Beverley Hills but my work would not let me afford it, no matter how far I could progress. I'm going back to LA in October, West Hollywood this time then back to Vegas.

I want to take my wife to DC, I think that is somewhere we would consider. I loved it there when I went about 15 years ago, but we would be looking at it a bit differently from a teenager looking up at the White House.

My parents tell me Chicago and Boston are nice, so maybe we would look there too.

Never know what the future holds though, I might just stay in Chorley.

Chalkpie -

I've got family in Jacksonville Florida, so that would be an option as it's nice to be by people you know if moving so far from my close family.

Growing up I was lucky enough to go to Florida every other year. My family were in Key West when I was young, such a beautiful place.

Since my teens I've seen New York and DC. In 2013 I went to Orlando (not somewhere to live), Atlanta and Birmingham Alabama.

In 2014 I went to Vegas and Beverley Hills. I would love to live in Beverley Hills but my work would not let me afford it, no matter how far I could progress. I'm going back to LA in October, West Hollywood this time then back to Vegas.

I want to take my wife to DC, I think that is somewhere we would consider. I loved it there when I went about 15 years ago, but we would be looking at it a bit differently from a teenager looking up at the White House.

My parents tell me Chicago and Boston are nice, so maybe we would look there too.

Never know what the future holds though, I might just stay in Chorley.

My dad spent a lot of time in the US and always said Chicago was his favourite place.

Chicago is a great city. A working mans town I call it. Very blue collar and everyone is friendly and kind. If you're lost they'll help you out no questions asked.

All good cities Steve. Try the Pacific Northwest, it's unlike the rest of America, Portland or Seattle. Beautiful lush forests and terrain, lots of mountains for hiking, wonderful fresh seafood.

I hope you get it! Good luck.

yes it's so tough man, i hope you are able to get that job. i'm going to be applying this evening to about 7 position in Cleveland, here's to hoping!

Good luck to Mark and Tonka on the gigs - hope it works out. I hope it works out for De Boer also :)

Thanks all! Interview was yesterday, and it went well. I should know within a week.

If you don't see me on the forums for awhile then you know why!

Edited by TonkaRoost

Chicago is a great city. A working mans town I call it. Very blue collar and everyone is friendly and kind. If you're lost they'll help you out no questions asked.

All good cities Steve. Try the Pacific Northwest, it's unlike the rest of America, Portland or Seattle. Beautiful lush forests and terrain, lots of mountains for hiking, wonderful fresh seafood.

Friend of my lad lives in NH on the Vermont border, seen lots of photos/videos and it looks a stunning area (place is called Cornish incidentally if you read this Steve).

Friend of my lad lives in NH on the Vermont border, seen lots of photos/videos and it looks a stunning area (place is called Cornish incidentally if you read this Steve).

yes that's the NorthEAST different area, but agree it's equally as beautiful. i've been to all 48 continental states and vermont especially burlington (the city) is just gorgeous. great people, lot of hippies and nature types. that's where Bernie Sanders (presidential candidate) was mayor of the town and then senator for that state. Still lives in Burlington.

yes that's the NorthEAST different area, but agree it's equally as beautiful. i've been to all 48 continental states and vermont especially burlington (the city) is just gorgeous. great people, lot of hippies and nature types. that's where Bernie Sanders (presidential candidate) was mayor of the town and then senator for that state. Still lives in Burlington.

Did actually realise that though me responding to you previous post might have suggested otherwise, I share chalkpie's fascination with maps, loved them from when I was a kid and Google Earth and streetview bring places to life. I've often thought about randomly finding some house somewhere in the world and writing to the occupiers to tell them I've done it and ask them about themselves. I think if you did it to a load of people you could publish the responses you get, reckon it'd make a good coffee-table book.

Name is Chris. Was born in Whiston, rest of the family was born in Liverpool so I was always referred to as a Woolyback. Moved to Australia as a 10 year old but always followed the blues. Just back over here now to bury my Dad who took me to most games from when i was 6 until i left. Just placed a blue and white wreath from his funeral at the Dixie Dean statue yesterday

Born in Fazakerley, raised in Kirkby, and the moved to Aintree (by Walton Vale, not the posh but unfortunately) just before becoming a teenager.

Moved to Manchester for Uni. Lived in Didsbury for the first year, then stayed in the student areas. Got a job in Manchester city centre and moved to Salford which is rough but the people are nicer than mancs who are the new cockneys (stuck up and have a chip on their shoulders). Had a short stint in Sheffield when I got promoted, but hated it and managed to get a move back to Manchester.

Don't agree Rubes, it's caricature stuff. No doubt the odd Welshman will either choose not to talk English to a "visitor" or be unable to but I don't for a minute believe people think it's widespread. Lots of rude English people too.

The "thick Irish" thing has nothing to do with the language; it was just "comedy" vehicle in less enlightened times. Really don't think that English people think that the Irish are thick as a nation. Lots of thick Englishmen.

Didn't learn the languages in school because, if not dead, they're not overly useful when you're looking for a job; bit like learning Latin. I did French and German and both have proved useful over the years; I've never had the need to speak Welsh or Gaelic.

Just the way it is.

Mostly agree with that Mike. however if you want a job here they often ask for fluency in Welsh. Not sure about other parts of the British Isles though.

And my post did decry the same things you did, but my grammar and sarcasm my not have translated this properly. My apologies.

Name is Chris. Was born in Whiston, rest of the family was born in Liverpool so I was always referred to as a Woolyback. Moved to Australia as a 10 year old but always followed the blues. Just back over here now to bury my Dad who took me to most games from when i was 6 until i left. Just placed a blue and white wreath from his funeral at the Dixie Dean statue yesterday

Sorry to hear the bad news Chris, nice touch with the wreath though.

My dad died nearly thirteen years ago (3rd August 2003) and I was with my mum today talking about him a lot. She can't remember what happened thirty seconds ago nowadays but her long term memory is dead sharp.

Coincidentally, there's a grave in my village cemetery for a five year old boy called Joshua (my lad's name) who died on the exact same day. Obviously a football fan because of the engraving and decoration; love to bump into his family one day and assure them that my dad will be looking after him.

Sorry to hear the bad news Chris, nice touch with the wreath though.

My dad died nearly thirteen years ago (3rd August 2003) and I was with my mum today talking about him a lot. She can't remember what happened thirty seconds ago nowadays but her long term memory is dead sharp.

Coincidentally, there's a grave in my village cemetery for a five year old boy called Joshua (my lad's name) who died on the exact same day. Obviously a football fan because of the engraving and decoration; love to bump into his family one day and assure them that my dad will be looking after him.

Thanks Mike last time we had together we were able to go to Goodison to see us win against Newcastle 3-2 in 2013. We had the funeral down in Eastbourne as he had lived there for 20 years. We had Z-cars playing as we brought the coffin in

My sincere thoughts are with you Chris. Lovely idea to put the wreath there.