Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

18 minutes ago, holystove said:

I'm not his biggest fan but the man does have a sense of humour.  His little dance was obviously spur of the moment.

He wasn't mocking May, just the opening of her conference speech.  She should be glad he watched it.

Quite right too, most cringe-worthy thing I've seen in ages! 

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

This is very worrying for many, me included. I take four prescribed drugs a day and my wife more than twice that, people will die if we don't get it sorted; but at least we'll have "taken back control" so we'll know who to blame.

Hopefully it doesn't come up is bending over to America. Crazy to think something as common as insulin costs a fortune over there. Cruel capitalistic world we live in. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-rising-cost-of-insulin-horror-stories-every-day/

2 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Hopefully it doesn't come up is bending over to America. Crazy to think something as common as insulin costs a fortune over there. Cruel capitalistic world we live in. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-rising-cost-of-insulin-horror-stories-every-day/

pharmaceutical drugs is a racket over here.  they are not around to help people, they solely exist to make money.  you are right pete.  one pharmaceutical company boasts "the largest poppy field in the world" at their headquarters.  no wonder there is a opiod epidemic over here, the pill pushers make more money that way.  sick bastards.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

This is very worrying for many, me included. I take four prescribed drugs a day and my wife more than twice that, people will die if we don't get it sorted; but at least we'll have "taken back control" so we'll know who to blame.

FT report today emergency ships will be chartered by UK government to bring in food and medicine... to mitigate the blockade you have put on yourself..

Tragic absurdity.

11 minutes ago, holystove said:

FT report today emergency ships will be chartered by UK government to bring in food and medicine... to mitigate the blockade you have put on yourself..

Tragic absurdity.

That’s Britain 🇬🇧 today I’m afraid 😧 makes you feel proud, get in Brexiteers great move👍

5 hours ago, MikeO said:

Don't you feel the spin on that article is a bit over the top, obviously people in the civil service will be doing risk management/mitigation, but reporting on that mitigation with selected quotes from vested interests doesn't seem particularly balanced.

5 hours ago, Chach said:

Don't you feel the spin on that article is a bit over the top, obviously people in the civil service will be doing risk management/mitigation, but reporting on that mitigation with selected quotes from vested interests doesn't seem particularly balanced.

No, I want worst case possible scenario because, as I said, people will die without their medication. Who else are they going to get informed opinion from other than those with "vested interest"; do you want a Nigel Farage comment for balance?

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

No, I want worst case possible scenario because, as I said, people will die without their medication. Who else are they going to get informed opinion from other than those with "vested interest"; do you want a Nigel Farage comment for balance?

Nigel Farage is not the opposing balance of an association representing the financial interests of drug suppliers.

Committee: We've identified some risks we'd like you have six weeks supply of medicine on hand for super safety.

Suppliers: Anything could change at any time, please throw money at us because we like money and you never know.

BBC: Public may have to stockpile medicine.

Balance my arse, these will be all the articles brexit knobs will be looking back at saying "told you so, that was all fear mongering"

5 minutes ago, Chach said:

Balance my arse, these will be all the articles brexit knobs will be looking back at saying "told you so, that was all fear mongering"

I disagree.  Planning for food and medicine shortages is not preparing for the worst case scenario, but for the most plausible scenario.  No-deal looks more likely than ever. 

I can't see no-deal lasting longer than a couple of months, but government has a duty to make sure in the interim, people keep access to their medication.  

This is not fear-mongering, this is what is happening right now.  These are plans discussed by a Cabinet set on taking the UK out of the EU at all costs.

Only thing I can think of other than going to the EU with our tails between our legs is to piggy back off another nation and adopt whatever agreement they have with the EU, if any country is stupid enough to have us. Maybe a former colony would like to twist in fate or a power nation as they basically have their fingers in all our pies any way so would be securing their investments. Welcome to Great Britain and Northern Ireland and China. 

8 hours ago, Chach said:

Nigel Farage is not the opposing balance of an association representing the financial interests of drug suppliers.

Committee: We've identified some risks we'd like you have six weeks supply of medicine on hand for super safety.

Suppliers: Anything could change at any time, please throw money at us because we like money and you never know.

Take your Farage point Chach, it was uncalled for but I was up at 6.00am for some joyous *cough* half term babysitting and have only just got home. Hope you're right that it is just "fear mongering" but a lot of people in a similar situation to me will be "affeared". I don't see how pharmaceutical companies would make more money anyway, they might get a short term increase in the order book but if everyone has 2/3 months supply of their meds then they're going to have a dip to follow surely?

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Take your Farage point Chach, it was uncalled for but I was up at 6.00am for some joyous *cough* half term babysitting and have only just got home. Hope you're right that it is just "fear mongering" but a lot of people in a similar situation to me will be "affeared". I don't see how pharmaceutical companies would make more money anyway, they might get a short term increase in the order book but if everyone has 2/3 months supply of their meds then they're going to have a dip to follow surely?

They’ll take the short term profit, that’s how they’ll make money. The crash in 2007/8 made the world look far too short term, and even more money driven. 

14 hours ago, holystove said:

I disagree.  Planning for food and medicine shortages is not preparing for the worst case scenario, but for the most plausible scenario.  No-deal looks more likely than ever. 

I can't see no-deal lasting longer than a couple of months, but government has a duty to make sure in the interim, people keep access to their medication.  

This is not fear-mongering, this is what is happening right now.  These are plans discussed by a Cabinet set on taking the UK out of the EU at all costs.

Fortunately the public service has plenty of intelligent hardworking people who understand the practicalities of the situation who are not driven by politics and they'll get it done. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

They’ll take the short term profit, that’s how they’ll make money. The crash in 2007/8 made the world look far too short term, and even more money driven. 

And all the "extra cost and administration" of doing it, everyone will be trying to see how they can profit from Brexit.

10 hours ago, Chach said:

Fortunately the public service has plenty of intelligent hardworking people who understand the practicalities of the situation who are not driven by politics and they'll get it done. 

I don't see how it is fear-mongering though, if people right now are working on this problem, it is no longer hypothetical.  

10 hours ago, Chach said:

And all the "extra cost and administration" of doing it, everyone will be trying to see how they can profit from Brexit.

Extra cost and administration will be very real though.  Double certification, customs clearance, more warehousing, .. brexit = increase of red tape = increase of cost for business = higher price for consumers.

Just now, holystove said:

I don't see how it is fear-mongering though, if people right now are working on this problem, it is no longer hypothetical.  

Extra cost and administration will be very real though.  Double certification, customs clearance, more warehousing, .. brexit = increase of red tape = increase of cost for business = higher price for consumers.

Which, as has been pointed out in an article somewhere, is going to seriously mess with the supply chains that adopted the "just in time" philosophy, not to mention additional working capital for companies. 

1 hour ago, holystove said:

If you go back and read what I posted I said "brexit knobs will be looking back and saying, told you so, that was all fear mongering"

My comment was on the manner of reporting, of course its a shit show but they will get it done even if some laws have to be twisted to do it which will make it appear to be fear mongering in hindsight.

Meanwhile MEPS voted today to relocate the european medicine agency from London to Amsterdam, forever. The gradual and comprehensive relinquishing of political influence and power in the largest political organisation in the world is the real tragedy, not some temporary custom issues.

fleets of ships moored offshore with essentials such as food and medicines on board and blame the brexiteers.  that sounds so absurd to me  I think we very nearly will have a war to deal with though and you can blame the brexiteers  (even if it happens 1000 years in the future.)  oh and no need to say to me "I told you so"  as I will be dead without my meds too.

1 hour ago, rubecula said:

fleets of ships moored offshore with essentials such as food and medicines on board and blame the brexiteers.  that sounds so absurd to me  I think we very nearly will have a war to deal with though and you can blame the brexiteers  (even if it happens 1000 years in the future.)  oh and no need to say to me "I told you so"  as I will be dead without my meds too.

Could be sooner than that. Told ya so😎