Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

the Swiss are anything but

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/nazis/readings/sinister.html

laundering money and banking for the Nazi's matt. happy to take the jews money, but not take the jewish refugees (they had a trumpian policy). there's no such thing as neutrality, they were allies of the Nazi's.

Edited by markjazzbassist

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/nazis/readings/sinister.htmlhow many years ago?

laundering money and banking for the Nazi's matt. happy to take the jews money, but not take the jewish refugees (they had a trumpian policy). there's no such thing as neutrality, they were allies of the Nazi's.

sorry matt, in a grumpy mood today no idea why I went on that rant. apologies amigo

yeah! Fuck the 81% who couldn't vote or voted remain! Democracy rules!

Its the way we have always voted. Historically, most people accept the result of an election/referendum (except the EU if it goes against them) Its the same in the US, people complaining about the vote when its the way it has always been done. In the last General Election, SNP got 56 seats for 1.5m votes. UKIP (thank goodness) got 1 seat for 3.9m votes, so there are always anomalies but its the way it has always been done and for a very long time. The electorate also rejected proportional representation. So yes, democracy does rule.

Its the way we have always voted. Historically, most people accept the result of an election/referendum (except the EU if it goes against them) Its the same in the US, people complaining about the vote when its the way it has always been done. In the last General Election, SNP got 56 seats for 1.5m votes. UKIP (thank goodness) got 1 seat for 3.9m votes, so there are always anomalies but its the way it has always been done and for a very long time. The electorate also rejected proportional representation. So yes, democracy does rule.

Yeah but if we always accepted the status quo we'd still have "rotten boroughs". Times need to move on; the vested interest of the two big parties screwed the PR vote because of the way they campaigned, turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

The fairness of PR is a no-brainer compared to our current system, Liberals suffered from it for decades as did UKIP at the last election (though that made me very happy I have to say).

First past the post keeps the swivel-eyed-loons, or most of them from getting into parliament. Trouble is with this system people feel that their vote does not count and that nobody listens to them. More voter apathy and then you end up with out of touch governments Protest votes, Brexit and Trump and possibly Le Penn in France :(

PR helps to deal with this, but the you may end up with far right or left (Corbin is there already) getting seats and using their status to legitimise their views. Which encourages their supporters and leads to hostility.

Devil and deep blue sea.

First past the post keeps the swivel-eyed-loons, or most of them from getting into parliament. Trouble is with this system people feel that their vote does not count and that nobody listens to them. More voter apathy and then you end up with out of touch governments Protest votes, Brexit and Trump and possibly Le Penn in France :(

PR helps to deal with this, but the you may end up with far right or left (Corbin is there already) getting seats and using their status to legitimise their views. Which encourages their supporters and leads to hostility.

Devil and deep blue sea.

It's a tough one to come up with an answer to. Said this before but I'd love to do away with the party system altogether, every constituency should vote on who they think the best man (or woman) for the job is and then every vote in parliament is a free one; none of this "three line whip" bollocks where everyone does as they're told or they get frozen out. PM could be voted for by MPs, it'll never happen but it'd put an end to all the tribal infantile nonsense we are stuck with today.

Watching the commons on TV is like watching primary school kids, complete embarrassment. Actually that comparison is unfair on the kids.

I wouldn't call the lies of Johnson, Gove and Farage as democratic, if I could convince you to give me your life savings to invest but lied and spent your money you would want me to be charged with fraud.

If what they said they were going to do with all this extra money the country was going to save doesn't happen, and if we are worse off and people lose there jobs and savings and potentially their homes, shouldn't we be able to charge them with treachery, or would you say they it was there democratic right to lie.

Trouble is that it lead to paralysis as you would never get consensus to get things done. Certainly no long term strategical thinking.

Even the ancient Greeks under the first democracy with marbles and jars couldn't agree on weather to build the Parthenon until Pericles blackmailed them into it.

I don't think there is a perfect system, but I think PR is the best system on offer, the best way to defeat extremism is to examine it is the searing light of debate, think Nick Griffin on Question Time.

Having an unelected second chamber tends to soften the excesses of Parliament.

if we just roll over and accept results, we're in trouble. Despite the result affecting my life directly, I'm trying to accept it. But with no clear plan coming out and the complete shambles that led up to the vote and since, I've no confidence whatsoever that the people running the country have a fucking clue what to do.

I really don't understand Leavers complaining so much about the debate continuing. It's a hugely important topic and was treated as a popularity vote. Neither side made a convincing argument. The people who'll have to live with rhe concequences didn't have a say. The debate will go on do accept that and engage.

Side note, if I knew how, I'd fucking sue Cameron and the rest.

The assumption is that the engagement and debating was done prior to the election/referendum.

But in the case of an election the engagement and debate immediately restarts for the next one after the result, why should a referendum result be any different? You think PR supporters simply shrugged their shoulders and said, "fair enough" after that one? Of course not; it's been said before but if the brexit result had gone the other way would everyone on the out side have become Europhile and UKIP disbanded? I have my doubts.

But in the case of an election the engagement and debate immediately restarts for the next one after the result, why should a referendum result be any different? You think PR supporters simply shrugged their shoulders and said, "fair enough" after that one? Of course not; it's been said before but if the brexit result had gone the other way would everyone on the out side have become Europhile and UKIP disbanded? I have my doubts.

Because elections of governments are ongoing. Referendums tend to be on one-off issues. There is a difference between continuing to debate and actively trying to overturn a democratic vote.

Guest rusty747

Once the outcome of a referendum is determined, then any failure to comply with the will of the people is not democracy; it is dictatorship.

Government is (or should be) the servant of the people, not the master.

Because elections of governments are ongoing. Referendums tend to be on one-off issues. There is a difference between continuing to debate and actively trying to overturn a democratic vote.

Once the outcome of a referendum is determined, then any failure to comply with the will of the people is not democracy; it is dictatorship.

Government is (or should be) the servant of the people, not the master.

Not arguing against the result or saying that it shouldn't be acted upon, which it obviously will be; just saying that people (like me) who disagree with the decision will continue to express their opinion and are fully entitled to. "Let's all hold hands and be friends again" isn't going to happen.