Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

On 18/07/2018 at 10:05, holystove said:

A Customs Union only covers goods, not services. 

The UK is primarily a services-based economy (80%) and inside a EU-CU the UK would still be able to agree free trade agreements on services (as you plan to leave the Single Market).   

Outside an EU-CU there is a hard border in Northern Ireland, EU-wide supply chaines would leave the UK, the Eurotunnel becomes a bottle-neck, etc.

Then again, remaining inside the CU would not really be Brexit 😉

The UK have stated that they will not put a hard border in NI. If the EU  put one in it will destroy the Republic's economy.  The Eurotunnel becomes a bottle-neck both ways.

6 hours ago, MikeO said:

I agree but your point is flawed:P.

Stubborn old man syndrome:lol:.

😂😂😂 Well I feel like I've been floored with all the nonsense of the last couple years.

3 hours ago, johnh said:

The UK have stated that they will not put a hard border in NI. If the EU  put one in it will destroy the Republic's economy.  The Eurotunnel becomes a bottle-neck both ways.

The Euro tunnel will soon be renamed the escape tunnel.

19 hours ago, Bailey said:

Quite right, not sure why I even typed services! 

Is there any tariff/control over services? I would presume it would just be regulation and then the freedom of services would act as a bartering tool alongside freedom of movement and custom depending on what is being negotiated.

I am still not having this NI/UK hard border, its just a prime example of the EU playing hard ball. 

There are no tariffs on services.  It's all about non-tarrif barriers.  The question is will a UK lawyer, musician, banker, etc still be recognized as such in the EU, and therefor able to sell their services?

Problem in NI is that *any* border infrastructure is a problem.  Ireland has put this issue front and center, not the EU Commission.  As the EU heads of State have ordered the Commission not to accept any border infastructure, they have to play hardball until Ireland softens its stance.

Why can't the UK and Ireland just keep the border open regardless what happens in negotiations?  Because that is illegal under WTO law (for both EU and UK).  The EU would loose its status as a Customs Union if it doesn't control its borders.

There is, by the way, no border in the entire world that is frictionless, not between US-Canada, Norway-EU, Switzerland-EU,.. nowhere.  I would not underestimate the issue of the Irish Border as just a negotiating strategy. There is already increased tension and nothing has changed yet.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

The Euro tunnel will soon be renamed the escape tunnel.

We'll call it Tom so the guards  Brexiteers won't know what we're talking about; I'll start on Dick in my garden when I get home, can someone with a big shovel volunteer to get Harry under way:P.

(Incidentally did you know that anyone who uttered the word "tunnel" in Stalag Luft III risked court-martial?)

26 minutes ago, MikeO said:

We'll call it Tom so the guards  Brexiteers won't know what we're talking about; I'll start on Dick in my garden when I get home, can someone with a big shovel volunteer to get Harry under way:P.

(Incidentally did you know that anyone who uttered the word "tunnel" in Stalag Luft III risked court-martial?)

😯

16 hours ago, Matt said:

You’ve been consistent at least, but I still don’t understand why?

you do not follow my reasoning which is fair enough Matt as I honestly can not follow yours no matter how often you have tried to explain it to me.  I think it would be best for the sake of sanity to avoid trying to delve any deeper into our mutual disagreement on the subject.  No matter what we say we may both be disappointed by the outcome of Mrs  May and her government's handling of the leaving.

9 hours ago, rubecula said:

you do not follow my reasoning which is fair enough Matt as I honestly can not follow yours no matter how often you have tried to explain it to me.  I think it would be best for the sake of sanity to avoid trying to delve any deeper into our mutual disagreement on the subject.  No matter what we say we may both be disappointed by the outcome of Mrs  May and her government's handling of the leaving.

Don’t mean to be rude mate, but I don’t remember reading any reasoning. 

15 hours ago, Matt said:

Don’t mean to be rude mate, but I don’t remember reading any reasoning. 

I was being polite Matt as I never was answered in what I asked.  but no matter I really do not want to argue on the subject.

13 hours ago, rubecula said:

I was being polite Matt as I never was answered in what I asked.  but no matter I really do not want to argue on the subject.

Which bit(s) did I not answer? This isn’t arguing mate, this is debate which is positive,