Brexit...

Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

Why not campaign for a world wide health service. Make the whole of the EU and other trading nations pay 2% of their nics/social security and have a universal salary to doctors/nurses. One for all, rather than all for none.

Fantasy bordering on lunacy I'm afraid Pete, the world is full of tyrants oppressors oligarchs and madmen with currency signs as pupils nothing of the sort will ever happen

Fantasy bordering on lunacy I'm afraid Pete, the world is full of tyrants oppressors oligarchs and madmen with currency signs as pupils nothing of the sort will ever happen

Pretty sure people thought the same of planes too.

Of course, it wouldn't be easy and there would be many obstacles, but that doesn't you don't bother trying.

Guest rusty747

Pretty sure people thought the same of planes too.

Of course, it wouldn't be easy and there would be many obstacles, but that doesn't you don't bother trying.

I think that before we start putting the rest of the world to rights we should put our own house in order first.

That means making a success of brexit so that we have both the moral and economic high ground to talk to the rest of the world about how they should behave. At the moment, I would suggest that the EU is more of a laughing stock than a good example.

Edited by rusty747

Guest rusty747

The elected body which has brought the country to its knees (again) and led by an un-elected hypocrite. Encouraging.

Yes, that ELECTED body.

I think that before we start putting the rest of the world to rights we should put our own house in order first.

True

That means making a success of brexit so that we have both the moral and economic high ground to talk to the rest of the world about how they should behave.

Good luck; sincerely.

At the moment, I would suggest that the EU is more of a laughing stock than a good example.

Why?

At the moment, I would suggest that the EU is more of a laughing stock than a good example.

really? In what way? Cause the way I see it, They UK is a bit of a laughing stock at the moment. Just check the amount of memes floating around.

Interference, not inference. Such as the number of laws and regulations that are now having to be followed by UK because they are EU law. In other words, if we weren't in EU we wouldn't be bound by so many stupid rules.

Out of curiosity. What EU-laws do you feel are stupid?

Guest rusty747

really? In what way? Cause the way I see it, They UK is a bit of a laughing stock at the moment. Just check the amount of memes floating around.

Out of curiosity. What EU-laws do you feel are stupid?

At the moment, the UK is guilty by association as it is still, for a while, a member of the EU. I work with many Aussies, Kiwis and Americans and they are almost all in agreement thatwe have done the right thing by leaving EU. So, the EU is definitely a laughing stock, but ask Dyson, Boeing, General Electric what they think of UK's decision to leave EU and they have all put their money where their mouths are and invested heavily in a post brexit UK. The EU is a liberal elitist dictatorship, top heavy with gravy training failed domestic politicians, which is rapidly becoming/has become a Federal State in its own right. That is not what we agreed to join and it is right that we should leave imho.

Laws? The ones that force us to declare open borders to all EU citizens so, (for example) Poles can come over, do work at rates that undercut the British worker (race to the bottom anyone?) then send most of their meagre salary back to Poland, thereby driving/holding down UK wages, exporting £ out of the UK,(doing nothing for our domestic markets) increasing the number of British jobless and, in many cases, increasing crime rates and providing a smoke screen for free movement of terrorists. And if they cant get a job, we provide welfare for them that they have not contributed to and which is not matched on any level should a Brit choose to live and work in Poland.

So, lets put our own house in order before making grandiose gestures and obligations that we can't afford is my point of view.

Caveat: nothing against Poles, just using as an example.

Edited by rusty747

Guest rusty747

yup. Terrifying isn't it

Well, We (collectively) voted for them so the least we can do is let them get on with doing the job we have told them we want them to do.

No big suprise that the people you work with are anti-EU.. Presumably they only "know" it through you and you seem to be foaming at the mouth at the mere mention of the EU (liberal elitist dictatorship? :happy: )..

Also, most research shows that even after the enlargement of the EU in 2004 (eastern Europe), EU workers in the UK have contributed billions in taxes and have been net contributors to the UK treasury. The UK is almost at full employement and it is actually quite dependent on immigration for continued economic growth.

Guest rusty747

No big suprise that the people you work with are anti-EU.. Presumably they only "know" it through you and you seem to be foaming at the mouth at the mere mention of the EU (liberal elitist dictatorship? :happy: )..

Also, most research shows that even after the enlargement of the EU in 2004 (eastern Europe), EU workers in the UK have contributed billions in taxes and have been net contributors to the UK treasury. The UK is almost at full employement and it is actually quite dependent on immigration for continued economic growth.

No, they are all very intelligent and very independent minded people who would tell me where to go if I tried to manipulate them or make false suggestions or assumptions like you are doing about them. They were also anti EU, or to be more precise, failed to see what the EU could do for UK that UK couldn't do better by itself, long before I knew them. And I am certainly not foaming at the mouth (sorry if that disappoints) but I do feel strongly about how the EU leadership has misbehaved over the years. Words and phrases such as 'manipulative, self serving, unethical, impractical idealism, political correctness gone mad' are just a few ways to describe the adverse effect on UK society in general imho.

As far as your job statistics go, well I have a lot of unemployed friends in Boston, Lincs who would happily take issue with you. They all lost their jobs (in agriculture) to being undercut by foreign workers whose only contribution to Boston has been to get it installed as the per capita murder capital of UK.

Edited by rusty747

At the moment, the UK is guilty by association as it is still, for a while, a member of the EU. I work with many Aussies, Kiwis and Americans and they are almost all in agreement thatwe have done the right thing by leaving EU. So, the EU is definitely a laughing stock, but ask Dyson, Boeing, General Electric what they think of UK's decision to leave EU and they have all put their money where their mouths are and invested heavily in a post brexit UK. The EU is a liberal elitist dictatorship, top heavy with gravy training failed domestic politicians, which is rapidly becoming/has become a Federal State in its own right. That is not what we agreed to join and it is right that we should leave imho.

Laws? The ones that force us to declare open borders to all EU citizens so, (for example) Poles can come over, do work at rates that undercut the British worker (race to the bottom anyone?) then send most of their meagre salary back to Poland, thereby driving/holding down UK wages, exporting £ out of the UK,(doing nothing for our domestic markets) increasing the number of British jobless and, in many cases, increasing crime rates and providing a smoke screen for free movement of terrorists. And if they cant get a job, we provide welfare for them that they have not contributed to and which is not matched on any level should a Brit choose to live and work in Poland.

So, lets put our own house in order before making grandiose gestures and obligations that we can't afford is my point of view.

Caveat: nothing against Poles, just using as an example.

Which enabled me to travel and work all around Europe and allows hundreds of millions freedom to enjoy other cultures

The "cut-rate" workers are also not to blame nor is the EU. The companies who hired them as well as the government that didn't offer any incentive to hire local.

Guest rusty747

Not angy, please stop trying to make fake news.

I am very happy, and have every reason to be as we are leaving EU.

The 'good people of Lincolnshire' have indeed seen some of their number murdered by foreigners. I trust your sympathy is genuine.

Edited by rusty747

Alright I'm sorry I misjudged your mood when I read you describing the EU as "a liberal elitist dictatorship, top heavy with gravy training failed domestic politicians" that is also "manipulative, self serving, unethical, impractical idealism, political correctness gone mad" and is responsible for letting in "foreign workers whose only contribution to Boston has been to get it installed as the per capita murder capital of UK." That does sound like a very happy person.

I tried to point out that EU immigration has been beneficial to the UK but have been refuted by your anecdotal evidence about Lincolnshire.

One more try though:

the commission is right now made up of the former time prime ministers of Luxembourg, Finland, Latvia, Estonia, the former minister of foreign affairs for The Netherlands and Italy, former minister of finance of France, etc.. not really failed domestic politicians. The only thing I might agree with is "impractical idealism" but I don't necessarily consider that to be a negative.

Guest rusty747

17015779_878600028949184_392842881852287

I think, for over 40 years now, we have tried very hard to make the Common Market (which is all we signed up to) a success. But it has morphed from a Free Trade Area into a Federal Project so to infer that we have been moaning about it for over 40 years is neither fair nor accurate.

Quite simply, the EU has been given enough rope to hang itself. That is what it is now apparently doing imho.

I think, for over 40 years now, we have tried very hard to make the Common Market (which is all we signed up to) a success. But it has morphed from a Free Trade Area into a Federal Project so to infer that we have been moaning about it for over 40 years is neither fair nor accurate.

Quite simply, the EU has been given enough rope to hang itself. That is what it is now apparently doing imho.

To be honest, it wasn't a serious post, it was more to lighten the mood a bit and have a dig back at those telling me to stop complaining and accept the result because they "won"

Guest rusty747

The number is 29 per 100K in Atlanta.

To be honest, it wasn't a serious post, it was more to lighten the mood a bit and have a dig back at those telling me to stop complaining and accept the result because they "won"

Atlanta wasn't in UK last time I checked.

Tone lightening acknowledged and appreciated.

Edited by rusty747

Per capita, yes it does.

For one twelve month period three years ago there were two murders and you really think they've earned the sobriquet "murder capital"?

If so (if you didn't already have such a good job) I'd suggest you apply to the tabloids for a job as a headline writer, ridiculous rhetoric for me.

Guest rusty747

For one twelve month period three years ago there were two murders and you really think they've earned the sobriquet "murder capital"?

If so (if you didn't already have such a good job) I'd suggest you apply to the tabloids for a job as a headline writer, ridiculous rhetoric for me.

I think you have to look at what the headline writer was trying to highlight. Pre mass immigration, Boston was a bit of a sleepy hollow with its Saturday night 'entertainment' confined to a few scuffles between fishing boat crews. Now, it is a cess pit of petty crime, more serious crime and, now murder. This might not be headline news in London or Liverpool but for a town like Boston this is a most unwelcome shock.

Don't want to get involved in an immigration good/bad type argument but there is no doubt that the crime rate (and serious crime) has escalated in Boston, in line with mass immigration to the town. So, I guess its no surprise that Boston voted overwhelmingly for Brexit.

Edited by rusty747

I think you have to look at what the headline writer was trying to highlight. Pre mass immigration, Boston was a bit of a sleepy hollow with its Saturday night 'entertainment' confined to a few scuffles between fishing boat crews. Now, it is a cess pit of petty crime, more serious crime and, now murder. This might not be headline news in London or Liverpool but for a town like Boston this is a most unwelcome shock.

Don't want to get involved in an immigration good/bad type argument but there is no doubt that the crime rate (and serious crime) has escalated in Boston, in line with mass immigration to the town. So, I guess its no surprise that Boston voted overwhelmingly for Brexit.

The headline writer was trying to portray Boston as the Los Angeles of the UK with endless drive-by shootings, not a place where petty crime has risen. I'd take an educated guess (based on my knowledge of the Polish community in Exeter which is quite extensive) that a large proportion of the crime is committed by "locals" with immigrants being the victims.

Polish/Eastern Europeans don't come in and take reduced wages putting English people out of jobs anyway, it's a fallacy. They take minimum wage jobs for sure but work very hard often for long hours which is why employers pick them over locals.

Guest rusty747

The headline writer was trying to portray Boston as the Los Angeles of the UK with endless drive-by shootings, not a place where petty crime has risen. I'd take an educated guess (based on my knowledge of the Polish community in Exeter which is quite extensive) that a large proportion of the crime is committed by "locals" with immigrants being the victims.

Polish/Eastern Europeans don't come in and take reduced wages putting English people out of jobs anyway, it's a fallacy. They take minimum wage jobs for sure but work very hard often for long hours which is why employers pick them over locals.

Then your educated guess is miles wide of the mark Mike. And I didn't say just petty crime, I included serious crime and murder, the vast majority of which is directly perpetrated by the immigrant population. Sure, there. is the odd local vigilante figure that we could do without, but the vast majority of the crime is unprovoked, pre meditated and carried out by the. Immigrant population. Not all of them, obviously, but you can understand the ill feeling from the locals and the overwhelming brexit vote as a direct consequence. Edited by rusty747