Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest rusty747

I'd be very surprised if all the citizens of any country agreed with all its policies. Of course some will agree and some will disagree. We usually find out which is the dominant group because their party wins elections.

And referendums.

The picture painted of Sweden by you is very diffetent to that painted by the Swedes I live near.

Guest rusty747

Yes. I've been to India over 40 times, to many of the states. It has awful problems and considerable corruption, the improvement is tangible - especially in the technology areas. Their problems today are nothing compared to their problems a couple of decades ago.

Bangalore (aka Silicon valley) is doing quite well, as is Mumbai but the recent improvements (which I agree, have happened) are no more than a scratch on the surface of all of its problems.

The outsourcing argument works well if you are an Indian benefitting from it but if you are British and have lost your job because of it (call centres outsourced to India for example) then the feeling is quite different. And what I struggle to understand is how, on the one hand we are supposed to maintain good working conditions in UK while allowing, nea, encouraging outsourcing to cjheaper places such as India. That can only have one of two effects on UK employment

1- drive down wages if firms remain in UK

2- drive up unemployment if they can practically and profitably employ in India at less than UK minimum wage.

Until we can square that circle then I have to say that we should find other ways to help countries such as India.

I am going to Hyderabad later this month. They have a fantastic new airport there but not too much in the way of infrastructure to join the business dots up with outside the airport. The progress is evident at first glance but there is a mammoth task over generations ahead of India to sort the country out properly.

Edited by rusty747

Seems strange to me that most the posters that keep banging on about Brexit don't even live in the U.K, if you've got a problem with the decision or how it's being played out tough.

How about trying to better the country's you live in and stop wasting your time on telling us what you think is wrong with this one.

I wonder how long it will be before people get behind Brexit and make it work instead of looking for problems at every opportunity. A positive attitude beats a negative attitude any time.

I do have a positive attitude, I'm positive that it's a retrograde step :lol:.

Seems strange to me that most the posters that keep banging on about Brexit don't even live in the U.K, if you've got a problem with the decision or how it's being played out tough.

How about trying to better the country's you live in and stop wasting your time on telling us what you think is wrong with this one.

Well, it does effect us to you know ;)

And my family is still there, and i know a lot of EU people living in the UK, afraid of how this will effect them.

Lets not pretend that this is only a British thing. Thats the whole point.

surely brexit is as much about EU as it is about UK and a successful brexit will be beneficial to both parties, so people from other member states do have a stake in it.

should the Trump thread be closed as well? if someone happens to be born in Monaco, is that person only allowed to have an opinion on prince Albert and nothing else?

surely brexit is as much about EU as it is about UK and a successful brexit will be beneficial to both parties, so people from other member states do have a stake in it.

should the Trump thread be closed as well? if someone happens to be born in Monaco, is that person only allowed to have an opinion on prince Albert and nothing else?

Ill create a Swedish thread, discuss ABBA, IKEA, IBRA, Spotify, Smörgåsbord, pickled herring etc.

Only difference is that I will let anyone in that wants to escape their home thread for any reason. Just like Sweden.

Some will argue that my thread will get taken over by muslims, rapists and criminals but thats ok. Im used to it

Guest rusty747

I havent lived in UK since 1996 but I do still have a lot of interests there. I have paid voluntary Nat Ins contributions but, because I have been expat more than 15 years have lost my vote. At some stage I may, or may not choose to come back to UK to live. I therefore feel entitled to express my opinion on any matter related to UK and it is pleasing to see that almost all other posters think likewise.

I havent lived in UK since 1996 but I do still have a lot of interests there. I have paid voluntary Nat Ins contributions but, because I have been expat more than 15 years have lost my vote. At some stage I may, or may not choose to come back to UK to live. I therefore feel entitled to express my opinion on any matter related to UK and it is pleasing to see that almost all other posters think likewise.

If your that concerned come back regain your full British status, if not what ever you have to say is pretty irrelevant.

Is it? I never asked them. When did you speak to them?

I can tell you that they are truly disgusted with how their government is spending tax revenue and with the breakdown of law and order in their home country. To the extent that extended family are leaving Sweden without a job to come and live with them here.

Btw, im not happy about how the government is spending tax money, but im still happy to pay my (high) taxes.

The two are not related.

Swedes do like to pay taxes and we do love our welfare. We dont want to spend the tax income on unemployment benefits, we would rather it went on things that would allow small businesses to afford more employees. Such as tax reductions for small and medium sized businesses.

Dont confuse that with us wanting to pay a lower income tax.

Ill create a Swedish thread, discuss ABBA, IKEA, IBRA, Spotify, Smörgåsbord, pickled herring etc.

Only difference is that I will let anyone in that wants to escape their home thread for any reason. Just like Sweden.

Some will argue that my thread will get taken over by muslims, rapists and criminals but thats ok. Im used to it

Like the people who don't live in your country but seem to know more about what's going on there, than the people who are actually living it.

Guest rusty747

If your that concerned come back regain your full British status, if not what ever you have to say is pretty irrelevant.

I have never lost my full British status.

If you will employ me on better terms and conditions than I am currently on then I might just be persuaded to come back. Until then and in the spirit of free trade - market forces rule and UK can't pay me what I can earn here. Since I dont agree with where a lot of UK tax revenue is spent I will also refrain from paying uk tax thank you.

Whilst what I have to say may be irrelevant to you, it is not irrelevant to the people whose opinions I know I influenced to vote for brexit.

Also, as a 12 year veteran of the RAF I think I have done enough to not have to justify my right to a relevant opinion on UK to you.

Edited by rusty747

Come on, Palfy. Are you saying that non-citizens living legally or illegally in Britain do get to vote whereas citizens who choose to work outside Britain do not? What about armed forces or diplomatic personnel? Or citizens who lead British companies but spend their lives growing the business elsewhere? How many exceptions would you allow?

Guest rusty747

Btw, im not happy about how the government is spending tax money, but im still happy to pay my (high) taxes.

The two are not related.

Swedes do like to pay taxes and we do love our welfare. We dont want to spend the tax income on unemployment benefits, we would rather it went on things that would allow small businesses to afford more employees. Such as tax reductions for small and medium sized businesses.

Dont confuse that with us wanting to pay a lower income tax.

I think we might be slightly at crossed purposes here. The Swedes I know would happily pay the high taxes if it was spent on what you refer to. They dont want lower tax, they want more control over where the tax revenue is spent. Since they cant get that they have chosen instead to extract themselves from Sweden and pay next to nothing - but they would prefer to pay the higher taxes if, in their opinion, the revenue was spent more sensibly.

So, James Dyson lost a court battle over the labels on his vacuumn cleaners. How in hell is that relevant to the discussion?

The EU is far and away the most corrupt organisation. It cant even get its own accounts audited for the last 18 years due to all the fraud and corruption. Better off out of it.http://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/356536/Britain-cannot-afford-this-EU-corruption-and-waste

You've been out of it for 15 years in your tax free haven, do you really think British taxpayers who contribute to this country give a Shite about whether you think we should be in or out, you gave up your right to vote on this issue of your own free will, to live in a country with a disgusting human rights record, why not do something useful and campaign against that whilst your there.

You've been out of it for 15 years in your tax free haven, do you really think British taxpayers who contribute to this country give a Shite about whether you think we should be in or out, you gave up your right to vote on this issue of your own free will, to live in a country with a disgusting human rights record, why not do something useful and campaign against that whilst your there.

Because citizenship gives us certain rights and privileges that residents do not have. Where we happen to live currently has little to do with that.

Guest rusty747

I did not give up my vote of my own free will. I made a life in a part of the world that was best for me and my family - who are from Malaysia. Thankfully, PM May has pledged to restore my vote and that of all other expats in my situation - incidentally, it is not 15 years since I last paid UK tax, it is 21. I left UK in 1996.

Are you saying that only British tax payers should have a vote? I can think of a large number of unemployed and pensioners who might well take issue with that.

UAE disgusting human rights record? Maybe, but at least it looks after its own citizens first and if you come to live in UAE then the immigrant adapts to the UAE culture. I wholeheartedly support that and wish UK had the cajones to do the same.

Finally, as I stated in my previous post, I don't have to justify my right to a relevant opinion on anything to do with my country to you.

You do sound a little angry.

Edited by rusty747

Guest rusty747

Why does it have little to do with it.

Because a British citizen is a British citizen no matter where in the world we might choose to live. As such we have the right to return to the UK at any time which a non British citizen, currently residing in UK, may not have.

Clear?

Edited by rusty747

UAE disgusting human rights record? Maybe, but at least it looks after its own citizens first...

Do you really mean that? It's OK to disregard human rights as long as you're looking after "your own"?

Jaw dropping.

I've just watched the remake of Roots, they operated under the same principles.

Ok, in bite sized chunks for the hard of thinking. Let me break it down for you.

Said friends had no job in Sweden but could get one (a good one) in Dubai. This was 10+ years ago. Rather than sell the family home they let other family members stay there rent free. This, according to Sweden tax law does not make them non resident for tax purposes. While they approved initially of where tax revenue was going and remaining family was happy in Sweden all was well.

Now, a combination of law and order issues and taxation (where its spent, not how much) has persuaded the extended family members to come to Dubai, for the family home to be sold and for the first time, for the entire family to pay little or no tax to Sweden.

But, to get back to the original point. The assertion was that all Swedes were happy to pay tax. I just demonstrated that they are not all happy to pay tax. And that unhappiness is driven by the changing ways in which the tax revenue is being spent.

Clearer?

Sorry your two Swedish friends whose employment income is not taxed in Sweden wasn't considered by the people who done the research on Swedish taxpayers in Sweden.

Not angry just fed up with people like you who chose not to live here, but still can't stop acting as if you still live here, like I said I'm not interested in whether you think we should be out or in for that matter, it would have very little consequences for you because you won't have to live with the good or bad of the decision.

Like you said you done what was best for you and your family which I applaud, now it's time for you to let go after 21 years and let us get on with it.

And in the EU's own study (see BBC link) UK was found to be the least corrupt of all the 28 nations.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26014387

"But 64% of British respondents said they believed corruption to be widespread in the UK, while the EU average was 74% on that question"

Says Joe blogs on the street. The same public who are stupid enough to vote whatever the corrupt rags tell them to.

Guest rusty747

Do you really mean that? It's OK to disregard human rights as long as you're looking after "your own"?

Jaw dropping.

I've just watched the remake of Roots, they operated under the same principles.

I meant exactly what I said, not what your contentious interpretation is.

The UAE does have a bad human rights record.

Separately, they do look after their own citizens first. I have no issue with that at all but please do not try to link the two. That is just shot stirring.

Guest rusty747

Not angry just fed up with people like you who chose not to live here, but still can't stop acting as if you still live here, like I said I'm not interested in whether you think we should be out or in for that matter, it would have very little consequences for you because you won't have to live with the good or bad of the decision.

Like you said you done what was best for you and your family which I applaud, now it's time for you to let go after 21 years and let us get on with it.

I don't act like I do live in UK. I act like any other concerned British citizen. And it seems you need to look at the difference between residency and citizenship. You would appear to try to deny me my citizenship rights and either you do not understand the concept of citizenship or you are being unconstitutional in your outlook.

Thank you for agreeing that I have done whats best for my family but when you say it is time for me to let go, I think you are talking out of your rear end to be honest.

No matter where I live I will be a British citizen with the right to express my point of view on anything to do with my country and I will not let the likes of you take that away from me.

Crystal?

Edited by rusty747

Guest rusty747

Selfish beyond belief.

See explanation above for the hard of thinking or shit stirrers.

Seripusly guys, you really have no understanding of how the world works if you expect anything other than the honest reply I gave you.

Of course I wish UAE had a better human rights record but realistically what do you expect me to do about it.

They do look after their own citizens and I applaud that. If that is being selfish then I wish the UK was a bit more selfish in that regard too.

Edited by rusty747