Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest rusty747

What's your thought about Richard Branson living in the Virgin Islands? Should he no longer be allowed to vote?

I was going to raise that very point.

post-7751-0-31381800-1488652916_thumb.jpg

Edited by rusty747

Guest rusty747

If I want a cup of tea, her indoors tells me where the teabags are and reminds me that I need to go to the shops for some more milk.

I am not entirely exempt from those comments from memsahib either John. But sometimes I cheat and make a phone call to the local mini market who deliver instantly for a small consideration.

Edited by rusty747

Palfy, do you not keep up with current affairs?

Take a minute out to click on the link.https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/07/expats-given-vote-for-life-uk-elections-government-says

So, I will have the same voting rights as you by the next election. You are therefore wrong Palfy but dont seem to have the cojones to admit what the rest of us can see so very easily.

I don't consider our maids to be below me. I consider them to be an important part in the happy and successful running of our household. If I did otherwise, they wouldn't stay. Our last maid was with us for 9 years and the current ones are both over 4 years. They are well treated, well paid and very happy. The same goes for our gardener (admittedly only part time) and our driver. But, lets not have the facts get in the way of your views on how life is, or should be, shall we.

Thanks for wishing me well in retirement. We could do it right now but we are happy in Dubai for the time being so we will probably move just before our little girl starts primary school - private, of course. The school offers both UK and IB syllabi and we are unsure at this stage which route would be best for her, but no rush on that score. As you seem so interested in our retirement I have attached a pic of the view from our lounge balcony. Not a bad spot to start the day from with freshly brewed coffee, toast and fresh orange juice. And a great place for a sundowner or three with friends in the evening. Enjoy.

I've never asked you about what you have or don't have and definitely not interested, and the fact that your gardener is only part time is a bit poor to say the least old chap you either need to earn more money so you can afford to employ him full time or buy a bigger property.

Guest rusty747

I've never asked you about what you have or don't have and definitely not interested, and the fact that your gardener is only part time is a bit poor to say the least old chap you either need to earn more money so you can afford to employ him full time or buy a bigger property.

This is actually the one property we dont own. Its provided free by my employer. We thought about buying in Dubai but the market is too volatile for our likely time frame and poorly regulated.

Point taken about the gardener but we wouldn't want to appear flash by having 4 full timers.

Pleased to see there is a sense of humour hidden inside of you somewhere.

So, what are your thoughts on Richard Branson being allowed to vote while being a tax exile?

Edited by rusty747

What's your thought about Richard Branson living in the Virgin Islands? Should he no longer be allowed to vote?

Personally no I don't think he should be; and neither should you or Matt or Rusty have a vote in UK elections in my opinion. We're contemplating a move later this year, still within the UK in all probability, but I'll not expect to take a vote in the mid-Devon council elections with me.

If my mum had died a bit richer (curse her :shaking fist:) we'd have moved abroad and I'd have no interest or expectation in being allowed a vote on issues that have no effect on me. Just my personal view.

When we had the empire and put a third of the World under British jurisdiction should every Indian/Rhodesian/Australian/Canadian have had a vote?

Guest rusty747

Personally no I don't think he should be; and neither should you or Matt or Rusty have a vote in UK elections in my opinion. We're contemplating a move later this year, still within the UK in all probability, but I'll not expect to take a vote in the mid-Devon council elections with me.

If my mum had died a bit richer (curse her :shaking fist:) we'd have moved abroad and I'd have no interest or expectation in being allowed a vote on issues that have no effect on me. Just my personal view.

When we had the empire and put a third of the World under British jurisdiction should every Indian/Rhodesian/Australian/Canadian have had a vote?

The British Empire argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Same rules then as now. If you have a British passport you get a vote. I dont recall giving many Full British (inc UK Residency Rights) passports away to the empire - though some undoubtedly were.

What I think gets missed sometimes is the contribution British expats can and do make for UK while overseas. Be it sending cash back to UK, arranging overseas trade deals for British companies or just promoting UK plc around the world, they do make a contribution. I can understand the argument from indigenous Brits that they should have more of a say in the day to day running of the UK. But that is what local elections are about isn't it? I certainly would not vote in a local election in UK while an expat - even if I could.

Edited by rusty747

The British Empire argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Same rules then as now. If you have a British passport you get a vote. I dont recall giving many Full British passports away to the empire - though some undoubtedly were.

What I think gets missed sometimes is the contribution British expats can and do make for UK while overseas. Be it sending cash back to UK, arranging overseas trade deals for British companies or just promoting UK plc around the world, they do make a contribution. I can understand the argument from indigenous Brits that they should have more of a say in the day to day running of the UK. But that is what local elections are about isn't it? I certainly would not vote in a local election in UK while an expat - even if I could.

Did you not slag off immigrant Poles for sending money "home" earlier in the thread or did I imagine it?

Guest rusty747

Didn't slag them off for sending money back and I don't blame the Poles. I blame UK/EU for allowing it to happen. I do blame the immigrants for the spike in crime in certain areas of UK. That has already been debated once.

The situation is entirely different for a British citizen, resident in a non EU country as I have no welfare rights in Dubai, residency is 100% conditional on maintaining my employment and if I lose my job I will be given precious little time to get the hell out of the country. I also have to provide expensive private health insurance for any dependents that come to Dubai to live with me.

Now, compare that with the Poles in UK and I think you will see that you are not comparing like with like.

The difference is the EU reciprocal rights that the Poles have in the UK versus the total lack of reciprocal rights I have in Dubai.

Additionally, I can only do a job in Dubai for which no local is available to do it. Ie, I cant just come to Dubai and compete against a local for a job. Again, that is very different for the Poles in UK.

Edited by rusty747

Don't waste your time Mike they can't grasp that point of view even though it happened in reality and they never got a vote on the decision, and as you rightly say they shouldn't get a vote on any issue concerning Britain if they don't live here.

This all started with me pointing out that most people who post on the Brexit forum, don't and didn't have a voice in the debate, yet they want to tell us what to do when it wouldn't effect them either way.

Also Mike I noticed today that yesterday you gave me a reprimand which I'm not happy and bemused about could you enlighten me as to which part of my post this refers to.

Guest rusty747

Yes crystal clear cake and eat it comes to mind, still not interested in your opinion due to the fact that your opinion was not a vote and had know impact on the referendum.

Your so patriotic and British my arse, your country the one you've done nothing for for years yet you want to have the same rights as me get fucked

CLEAR

Might have been your use of the 'F' word in the above post. Didn't really further the debate did it?

Don't waste your time Mike they can't grasp that point of view even though it happened in reality and they never got a vote on the decision, and as you rightly say they shouldn't get a vote on any issue concerning Britain if they don't live here.

This all started with me pointing out that most people who post on the Brexit forum, don't and didn't have a voice in the debate, yet they want to tell us what to do when it wouldn't effect them either way.

Also Mike I noticed today that yesterday you gave me a reprimand which I'm not happy and bemused about could you enlighten me as to which part of my post this refers to.

It was was very gentle and unofficial one Palfy, not even a reprimand actually I don't think, just a quiet request to keep things polite and respectful.

Guest rusty747

It was was very gentle and unofficial one Palfy, not even a reprimand actually I don't think, just a quiet request to keep things polite and respectful.

And, to be fair to him, he does appear to be slowly mellowing.

Guest rusty747

I hope not because if we can't tell each other to get fucked now and then, TTF would not be the same.

Depends on your personal standards I suppose.

I am not a mod, but I would not direct such foul language at someone. I may, in extremis, use the word generally (but extremely rarely if at all) but I would never direct such a foul word at someone. I am no angel but there is a limit. And I would have thought that someone so educated that he claims to have a job which requires him to pay more tax in a year than I gross would be able to express himself succinctly using The Queen's English - with the odd mild swear word thrown in by all means.

Edited by rusty747

Depends on your personal standards I suppose.

I am not a mod, but I would not use such foul language. I am no angel but there is a limit. And I would have thought that someone so educated that he claims to pay more tax in a year than I gross would be able to express himself succinctly using The Queen's English - with the odd mild swear word thrown in by all means.

Guest rusty747

Anyway, time for bed. Just seen Liverpool v Arsenal game so hopefully we can nick the points at Spurs tomorrow.

Happy to continue this debate tomorrow if you like.

Where did I mention that I was so educated, and you insinuated that I was jealous of your success and possessions, which I never new existed so I thought I would tell you I'm not impressed by your boasting of how wealthy you are and the fact that telling me that your successful would win you the argument when in fact it just proved what a shallow person you are.

Then you have to tell me about your kids going to private school because you think that everyone would be thinking he's got to be right, no one likes a big head.

So to stop your boasting and bragging about how wealthy you are and how jealous I am, I would let you know I'm not the poor little pauper you thought I was.

Guest rusty747

Actuallly in bed now.

Finally, you make a fairly logical, reasoned post.

If you had done that a few days ago we wouldn't have had nearly so much fun. Everything I told you about my life is true but would not have been said if you hadn't come across the way you did.

Shall we move on now?

Actuallly in bed now.

Finally, you make a fairly logical, reasoned post.

If you had done that a few days ago we wouldn't have had nearly so much fun. Everything I told you about my life is true but would not have been said if you hadn't come across the way you did.

Shall we move on now?

Most definitely before It becomes the Rusty and Palfy show.

One interesting thing I've noticed since living outside the country (and it appears to lie behind some comments here) is Britain's view of wealth - namely, that it's something negative: greedy, unfair, privileged. That is not the view of wealth you'll find in other places. In the US, for example, wealth is mostly viewed as a sign of hard word, of success, of commitment. The fact that I sent several of my children to private school is not viewed at all as negative or privileged, more that I worked really hard to be able to make that sacrifice.

One interesting thing I've noticed since living outside the country (and it appears to lie behind some comments here) is Britain's view of wealth - namely, that it's something negative: greedy, unfair, privileged. That is not the view of wealth you'll find in other places. In the US, for example, wealth is mostly viewed as a sign of hard word, of success, of commitment. The fact that I sent several of my children to private school is not viewed at all as negative or privileged, more that I worked really hard to be able to make that sacrifice.

Mostly because we have a class society were most people inherit their wealth, and are gifted their cushy jobs.

I agree success shouldn't be something to be a shamed of, and it shouldn't be used as a weapon to try and beat someone who may not have been as fortunate as yourself.

And I assume you're referring to my posts with Rusty, you'll have to take my word for it I am fairly successful, I come from a working class family brought up on a council estate, parents never had a bean like most of the families in my estate, I still have five good friends that I see on a regular basis, it hasn't changed me cause it had my mates wouldn't associate with me.

And I personally think it shows lack of taste to boast about your wealth, I maybe wrong but that's me.

I've said multiple times that I don't have the right to vote in elections since I don't live there and don't pay tax. But this was a vote that effected my citizenship and everyone who holds a passport should have a say. What's hard to grasp?

You tell me what's hard to grasp I'm happy that if you weren't a resident of this country you didn't get a say.

but the vote wasn't on who's running the country, it was on much more than that, including citizenship. I really don't understand what's so difficult to grasp :huh:

but the vote wasn't on who's running the country, it was on much more than that, including citizenship. I really don't understand what's so difficult to grasp :huh:

Matt I never said you couldn't vote that was the decision of your government not mine, I just agree with that decision which seems really sensible to me, which is why should anyone who doesn't live in this country be given a vote that changes the lives of people that do live here, and how has that affected your citizenship nothing has changed your still a citizen with the same rights you had before and after the vote.