Firing workers at will, without any reasons given
Regional pay penalising public sector workers outside London and the South East
Privatising the motorways and key A-Roads
The Snoopers’ Charter
Bringing back the old O-level / CSE divide
Profit-making in state schools
Cutting the time childminders can give to each child
Cutting new nursery buildings
Stopping geography teachers telling children about how we can tackle climate change
Axing human rights from national curriculum
Ditching the Human Rights Act
Appointing Michael Howard as a European Union Commissioner
Watering down the ban on hunting by allowing 40 dogs to flush out a fox
Weakening the protections in the Equalities Act
Renewing Trident in this Parliament
Scrapping Natural England
Cutting investment in green energy
Nation-wide immigration checks on all new tenants and lodgers

I only give a shit about the whole reason the majority of people for the Lib Dems - tuition fees. Their entire plan was based on that, and it's what won them enough votes to be part of that coalition.

Fair enough but you can't laugh off the fact that they made a difference.

Fair enough but you can't laugh off the fact that they made a difference.

That much of a difference that when the next election came round they were destroyed and the Conservatives were given an open goal. I'll thank them when hell freezes over, Mike.

I'm a little bitter :P.

Edited by Romey 1878

Because it's not in the best interests of either of the two main parties.

I can understand why its not in the interest of the Tories, surely its in the interests of the labour party?

Mike?

Without checking every individual seat I find it hard to believe that Lib Dems and Labour wouldn't benefit from preference flows, take my old seat for example, has never been anything other than Tory but would have been either Lib Dem or Labour with an AV

x4m6i0.png

Mike?

Without checking every individual seat I find it hard to believe that Lib Dems and Labour wouldn't benefit from preference flows, take my old seat for example, has never been anything other than Tory but would have been either Lib Dem or Labour with an AV

Sorry, missed this.

Not really au fait with AV but Labour took no official position on the vote in 2011, so they obviously weren't keen on it.

If you take PR in it's purest form (get x% of the vote you get x% of MPs) Labour would've got 284 members in 1997; because of our system they got 418.

This election they were unusually close to getting accurate representation, they got 262 when their percentage would've given them 260. LibDems in this election got 7.4% of the vote which should (in my book) mean they'd have 48 seats and they have 12; SNP get 3% and end up with 35. It's just plain wrong.

This might seem a bit trivial but for someone from a small (geographically) member state who cant drive for 2 hours without being in another country, like me, this is really great.

Surely (hopefully) something that can be kept in place for British tourists in EU and EU citizens in UK post-brexit.

"EU sequencing will be the row of the summer" - David Davis before UK election.

Day 1 of negotiating : EU sequencing accepted.

liberals: UK caving already

conservatives: UK being sensible, working towards a solution

personal take: talks were always going to be phased, smart from UK to not make a fuss over this. However, Davis comes across very silly having said he would make this the "row of the summer". Then again, maybe he still thinks a UK-German deal is what he's working to get.

That's excellent spin. ☺ Another way to look at it would be that a man who campaigned to leave the EU doesnt know what the single market or the customs union is. I think my way offers an explanation for how baffled he has looked. You wont hear me complain his "row of the summer" ended before the start of the summer though; EU-member states could definitely profit from a good deal.

Remember, days before the referendum he also said negotiations would be held in Berlin. So when you say "we all know that Germany runs the EU", you realize its only him and you right?

When it's all over and concluded, the only difference most of the country will notice is that they are financially worse off.

Oh and yes there will be less migrant workers, not because our borders will be closed because they won't, any deal will mean our borders stay open to people from E.U countries, but because as we are seeing now with migrant numbers already dropping and we haven't left yet, is that jobs are drying up and wages are getting lower, so what we can conclude is that ruining the economy is far more effective than closing the boarders, in cutting the number of E.U migrants entering the country.

When it's all over and concluded, the only difference most of the country will notice is that they are financially worse off.

Oh and yes there will be less migrant workers, not because our borders will be closed because they won't, any deal will mean our borders stay open to people from E.U countries, but because as we are seeing now with migrant numbers already dropping and we haven't left yet, is that jobs are drying up and wages are getting lower, so what we can conclude is that ruining the economy is far more effective than closing the boarders, in cutting the number of E.U migrants entering the country.

What most people forget, both in the UK and here in the US, is that migrant workers perform all those jobs that the local workforce refuses to do. If there are fewer migrant workers, who will walk the fields picking strawberries, for example? It's a complete joke to suggest that migrant workers take away jobs. They pay taxes, buy goods, and generally have a positive impact on the economy. The refugee situation is different, because they need a lot more financial help and social support than others, but that's where human decency and compassion come into play. What if we were in their shoes?

What most people forget, both in the UK and here in the US, is that migrant workers perform all those jobs that the local workforce refuses to do. If there are fewer migrant workers, who will walk the fields picking strawberries, for example? It's a complete joke to suggest that migrant workers take away jobs. They pay taxes, buy goods, and generally have a positive impact on the economy. The refugee situation is different, because they need a lot more financial help and social support than others, but that's where human decency and compassion come into play. What if we were in their shoes?

actually a lot of the people the UK was attracting under freedom of movement were high skilled and it is those that are already leaving now, re Palfy's point. low-skilled will always be available in fairly open rich countries, imo.

Immigrants added over 1 billion £ net to UK treasury and lowering immigration below 100.000 will cost UK 6 billion per year according to OBR.

actually a lot of the people the UK was attracting under freedom of movement were high skilled and it is those that are already leaving now, re Palfy's point. low-skilled will always be available in fairly open rich countries, imo.

Immigrants added over 1 billion £ net to UK treasury and lowering immigration below 100.000 will cost UK 6 billion per year according to OBR.

Exactly it's the skilled workforce that are leaving and not wanting to come, due to the fact we can't offer them a better standard of living than were they are now, we are going backwards, even France's economy is rallying for the first time in years, thanks mainly because of our leaving the E.U.

The borders will stay open and we will always attract low skilled workers, and yes they are vital and most welcome Cornish, what we will see here in the not so distant future is people leaving here and becoming migrant workers in other E.U countries, and no doubt 52% of them would have voted out, how ironic that will be.

But we'll be strong and stable so no problem.

You're right, of course, about highly skilled workers. In the US, there are huge numbers of talented workers from India. Go to any of the top technology companies, and they are often in the majority. Basically, they graduate from India's renowned technical colleges and move to the US for their advanced degrees. Then they have the right to remain in the US for a year in order to find work - at which point their new employer puts them through the permanent visa process. What has Donald Trump done? Signed an executive order that limits the number of software developers that can obtain permanent visas. In addition, there was a fatal attack on two young Indian engineers (by a Trump supporter) that has scared the Indian community here. If a critical mass leave, it will severely impact America's high-tech industries. This is a lesson Britain must learn, too: Immigrants are valuable, and in some industries they are nothing short of vital.

And I write this as someone who supported Brexit - not to leave the common market but to use the vote as leverage to regain sovereignty in other aspects of national life. For sure, I would prefer we do much more to attract immigrants and to help refugees.

Edited by Cornish Steve