Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't, I'd vote leave again tomorrow.

You're not alone.  Seems like very few have changed their mind.  Then why would you say Brexit won't happen?

"Was Britain right or wrong to vote to leave EU"? Right 44%  Wrong 45%  Don't know 11% -- YouGov Dec 10-11

"Who want to abandon Brexit completely: nationally: 15% middle/upper class: 19% 18-24 yr olds: 21% London: 21% Labour: 24% Remainers: 29% Lib Dems: 37%  -- YouGov, Dec 10-11

58 minutes ago, holystove said:

You're not alone.  Seems like very few have changed their mind.  Then why would you say Brexit won't happen?

"Was Britain right or wrong to vote to leave EU"? Right 44%  Wrong 45%  Don't know 11% -- YouGov Dec 10-11

"Who want to abandon Brexit completely: nationally: 15% middle/upper class: 19% 18-24 yr olds: 21% London: 21% Labour: 24% Remainers: 29% Lib Dems: 37%  -- YouGov, Dec 10-11

The politicians won't let it happen, IMO.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I really don’t think it will. I haven’t for a long time. 

but why? it is official government policy to leave the EU and both main parties are committed to leaving.

The only way I can see Brexit not hapenning is in case of a new GE (not unlikely given realities of phase 2 of negotiation) and Labour coming out for remain (highly unlikely given how anti-EU (ie capitalism) Corbyn is).

25 minutes ago, holystove said:

but why? it is official government policy to leave the EU and both main parties are committed to leaving.

The only way I can see Brexit not hapenning is in case of a new GE (not unlikely given realities of phase 2 of negotiation) and Labour coming out for remain (highly unlikely given how anti-EU (ie capitalism) Corbyn is).

They’re that committed to it that there are big calls for a second referendum. 

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

They’re that committed to it that there are big calls for a second referendum. 

Another referendum would give leave an even bigger majority imo, because lots of people are as stubborn as you are (some even more so) and they want out despite all the negatives (and lack of positives) being presented to them;).

Puts me in mind of kids holding their breath until they get their way:P.

I think if there was a second referendum remain would win by around 55%-45%, I also think that people who voted leave first time round would not say that they changed their vote because they wouldn't want to admit that they got it wrong first time round, also as much as they wouldn't want to admit that they were misled in to voting leave a lot of them will be able to see that it's disaster and would be savvy enough to correct there mistake if given the opportunity.

4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I think if there was a second referendum remain would win by around 55%-45%, I also think that people who voted leave first time round would not say that they changed their vote because they wouldn't want to admit that they got it wrong first time round, also as much as they wouldn't want to admit that they were misled in to voting leave a lot of them will be able to see that it's disaster and would be savvy enough to correct there mistake if given the opportunity.

I would hope that that you're right but I suspect you wouldn't be, I think leave would still win due to people being stubborn and (in some cases) xenophobic morons. No disrespect to the Brexiteers on here who I'd not put in that group.

5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I would hope that that you're right but I suspect you wouldn't be, I think leave would still win due to people being stubborn and (in some cases) xenophobic morons. No disrespect to the Brexiteers on here who I'd not put in that group.

I do agree with you on the points you raised but I also believe that there would be a group who would see they need to right a wrong who now realise they were misled or it's not the Brexit they were promised.

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

I agree with you because your right-wing press is still spinning like crazy.  (sorry about the source).

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5156079/brits-post-brexit-overtime-boom-eu-limits/  (S*N: British Workers set for post-Brexit overtime boom as ministers plot to scrap EU limits).  In reality, the Working Time Directive already allows for overtime , but more importantly, the correct headline would be "Government set to scrap workers' rights".

19 hours ago, holystove said:

I agree with you because your right-wing press is still spinning like crazy.  (sorry about the source).

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5156079/brits-post-brexit-overtime-boom-eu-limits/  (S*N: British Workers set for post-Brexit overtime boom as ministers plot to scrap EU limits).  In reality, the Working Time Directive already allows for overtime , but more importantly, the correct headline would be "Government set to scrap workers' rights".

the question of workers' rights'was raised in parliament today

What do worker's rights matter to all the pensioners that pushed Brexit over the line, easy fuck all if wages fall in real terms then so should pensions they thought they had a free vote that financially if they voted out it wouldn't effect them, let's let them know that the state pension rules are going to change and take away any guaranteed income if that would have been said at the outset then we may have had a different result, that also goes for anyone claiming state benefit, if it goes badly wrong everyone should feel the pain not just the workers.

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

What do worker's rights matter to all the pensioners that pushed Brexit over the line, easy fuck all if wages fall in real terms then so should pensions they thought they had a free vote that financially if they voted out it wouldn't effect them, let's let them know that the state pension rules are going to change and take away any guaranteed income if that would have been said at the outset then we may have had a different result, that also goes for anyone claiming state benefit, if it goes badly wrong everyone should feel the pain not just the workers.

I am a pensioner (without a pension) but  I was working at the time of the vote.  I expected to be working for a few years yet.:wacko:

On 2017-12-14 at 15:38, MikeO said:

Technically it'll happen, it has too now, but our relationship will probably be not too different from what it is currently so in practice it'll just have been a huge waste of time and money.

No it does not need to happen or its not forced/irreversible. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/10/architect-article-50-claims-brexit-can-reversed/

I still think it will happen and I'm sure that you will get access to the single market. I just don't think that you will get the same deals as EU-countries. Look at Norway, those are the kinds of deals you will make. I still also think that a lot of European companies will move their HQs to Germany or other european countries. Simply because it will be cheaper for them and will make admin easier. 

Britain will be worse off for leaving unfortunately but most people won't feel a difference at all. 

11 hours ago, pete0 said:

Simon K  🇪🇺 (@simonk135) Tweeted:
Recent comments made by Michel Barnier suggest “There won’t be any cherry picking” and that the UK may be limited to existing models.

Which would you like to see the UK pursue?

Please RT for a larger sample size.

#Brexit https://twitter.com/simonk135/status/943061693462085632?s=17

To be honest I think it's quite ridiculous that some in the EU say the UK won't get a "bespoke agreement".   Ofcourse it will as every FTA is by definition bespoke.  Canada is not South Korea or Japan or the UK. They all negotiate individual deals based on what they offer and what they want.

If, for example, it is in the interest of the EU to continue to have maximum access to the City, financial services will be included to a great extend in the future UK-EU FTA (unlike CETA or other FTA deals), etc etc etc..

The only reason, IMO, there might not be a deal is because of the Irish border.  According to the Phase 1 agreement the fall back position is full regulatory alignment with the EU if no deal is reached, but surely no Brexiteer would accept this.