Brexit...

Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

IMO, a second referendum is a pretty great idea.  If Leave wins again, Remain can no longer say the vote was illegitimate because of the NHS lie etc. as most of the bold Leave claims have been exposed.  People still want it, fair enough.

It will also strengthen the UK negotiating hand because the confirmed democratic mandate will have to be taken very seriously; the EU can drop all illusions of the UK remaining and start negotiating in earnest.  

Lastly, watching the UK go through all of it again would be quite funny to watch from abroad.

1 hour ago, holystove said:

IMO, a second referendum is a pretty great idea.  If Leave wins again, Remain can no longer say the vote was illegitimate because of the NHS lie etc. as most of the bold Leave claims have been exposed.  People still want it, fair enough.

It will also strengthen the UK negotiating hand because the confirmed democratic mandate will have to be taken very seriously; the EU can drop all illusions of the UK remaining and start negotiating in earnest.  

Lastly, watching the UK go through all of it again would be quite funny to watch from abroad.

with 1 conditions - both sides actually try and back up their causes with clear, concise arguments backed up with evidence

On 2018-01-13 at 17:02, holystove said:

Agree 100%

If it happens I can't wait to watch all of the panel shows like 8 out of 10 cats, Mock the week, have I got news for you etc etc. 

The circus continues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42827278

To quote Stephen Sondheim....

"Don't you love farce?
My fault, I fear
I thought that you'd want what I want
Sorry, my dear
But where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns
Quick, send in the clowns"

"And where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns
Don't bother
They're here"

27 minutes ago, MikeO said:

The circus continues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42827278

To quote Stephen Sondheim....

"Don't you love farce?
My fault, I fear
I thought that you'd want what I want
Sorry, my dear
But where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns
Quick, send in the clowns"

"And where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns
Don't bother
They're here"

World Partys "Ship of Fools" keeps going around and around my head...

7 hours ago, Matt said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/business/theresa-may-brexit-davos.html

Again, complete and utter lack of surprise. Anyone who thought we'd be better off "going alone" needs their heads examined

sliding upwards??  the country has improved credit rating and manufacturing income.  More of these slides will be fine Matt.

3 hours ago, rubecula said:

sliding upwards??  the country has improved credit rating and manufacturing income.  More of these slides will be fine Matt.

Whilst losing hospital staff, potentially losing the banks Hqs to a EU based country, etc etc. 

The fact that no one seemed to bother attending the British priministers speech at the World Economic Forum does not look good for a supposedly global economic power in my opinion.  

On 1/27/2018 at 00:19, rubecula said:

You didn't even read the article did you, manufacturing has improved because the pound is in the toilet and demand from stronger economies in the eurozone.

Where is this improved credit rating?

Moody's is the only ratings agency to give the UK a stable outlook and they recently downgraded. S&P and Fitch both have outlook as negative.

8 hours ago, Chach said:

You didn't even read the article did you, manufacturing has improved because the pound is in the toilet and demand from stronger economies in the eurozone.

Where is this improved credit rating?

Moody's is the only ratings agency to give the UK a stable outlook and they recently downgraded. S&P and Fitch both have outlook as negative.

subject is getting too emotional now I refuse to enter into angry arguments on a subject that is already decided on.  Pointless really.

This is the issue. Information is passed around lightly without factual checks. 

The leave side praises the current economy while not realizing why its happening. 

As Chach pointed out, manufacturing is up due to demand from EU countries. That demand will go away if Britain and EU cant get an agreement in place. 

Im sure GB will be ok without the EU but to say that things will be better is naive. 

1 hour ago, rubecula said:

subject is getting too emotional now I refuse to enter into angry arguments on a subject that is already decided on.  Pointless really.

Fortunately it’s not decided on, at the very least with what happens next, basically because no one had a plan and 12 months on, no one has a clue what to do. Presumably that’s why some Brexiteers are even proposing a second referendum, to buy time to try to unfuck the situation they’ve created. The EU is also suggesting the timelines be extended because it’s such a mess. You know, this supposed dictorial regime, which is actually doing more to further progress than the fucknuts in charge. 

Its far from pointless, continuing to discuss and debate is the only chance of salvaging anything from this clusterfuck born of ignorance, fear and misdirected anger. 

On 14/12/2017 at 14:38, MikeO said:

Technically it'll happen, it has too now, but our relationship will probably be not too different from what it is currently so in practice it'll just have been a huge waste of time and money.

Someone agrees with me:o.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/01/27/direction-travel-seems-have-gone-one-single-direction-towards/

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Fortunately it’s not decided on, at the very least with what happens next, basically because no one had a plan and 12 months on, no one has a clue what to do. Presumably that’s why some Brexiteers are even proposing a second referendum, to buy time to try to unfuck the situation they’ve created. The EU is also suggesting the timelines be extended because it’s such a mess. You know, this supposed dictorial regime, which is actually doing more to further progress than the fucknuts in charge. 

Its far from pointless, continuing to discuss and debate is the only chance of salvaging anything from this clusterfuck born of ignorance, fear and misdirected anger. 

Matt, I agree with Rubes, it is pointless. Particularly when tired old insults are continually resurrected as per your last paragraph.  I know you are distraught at the result of Brexit but don't let it affect the usual quality of your posts.

45 minutes ago, johnh said:

Matt, I agree with Rubes, it is pointless. Particularly when tired old insults are continually resurrected as per your last paragraph.  I know you are distraught at the result of Brexit but don't let it affect the usual quality of your posts.

But it's not pointless at all. People still have opinions/discussions on Trump and nobody says, "it's pointless because it's done"; if you take your argument to its extreme nobody would've had any issue with Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, Pinochet, Ceaușescu, Genghis Khan or Pontius Pilate because they were all done deals. Ok so in none of those cases (Trump aside) did people have access to the internet to express their disapproval but they still did so in other ways, even when they were in the minority.

It's far from pointless to express your opinion if you think a disastrous route has been chosen or imposed on you.

It's a typical trait of Brexiteers to jump all over any pluses that they think prove their decision was the right decision, without investigating the evidence or digesting the reasons why, to show such ignorance to the facts is dangerous I genuinely thought that Brexiteers would have realised after they fell for the 350 million a week to the NHS to look at the substance of what's been printed but obviously not.

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Far from pointless when nothing is resolved and the whole topic is as big of a mess than before. It’s like Trump supporters telling me to “get over it, he won” whilst he continues to spread lies and dismiss challenges.

As for tired insults, they’re just accurate if a little crude. My posts on the topic have actually challenged (and often proven wrong) the Leave “arguments”, and whilst people try to ignore cold, hard fact, I’ll continue to try to educate. If ignorance is preferred, fair enough, but it’s not for me :)

15 hours ago, rubecula said:

That's the thing though, its not decided on.

That article indicated that May is pursuing a deal that will:

• Retain free movement of people
  • Prevent the UK from negotiating its own free trade agreements.

Now I understand why Farage is bleating about having a referendum on the deal.

All the restrictions/conditions, none of the power and influence. MENTAL.

22 hours ago, Matt said:

Far from pointless when nothing is resolved and the whole topic is as big of a mess than before. It’s like Trump supporters telling me to “get over it, he won” whilst he continues to spread lies and dismiss challenges.As for tired insults, they’re just accurate if a little crude. My posts on the topic have actually challenged (and often proven wrong) the Leave “arguments”, and whilst people try to ignore cold, hard fact, I’ll continue to try to educate. If ignorance is preferred, fair enough, but it’s not for me :)

Matt, the insults are no more accurate than those that say that Remainer's were weak, naive and gullible to believe the ''project fear' garbage.