IGNORED

Euro 2016

Thinking about it, apart from pride, finishing 2nd isn't that bad. We're apparently playing whoever finishes second in group F (Iceland, Portugal, Austria or Hungary) and I fear none of them.

Its the game after that... likely to be france.

I fear hodgson more. Doesnt he look like an arrogant defiant prick? He has to be too clever for his own good. Its like he does it to annoy us on purpose.

England's problem for a few years now is their total inability to play against teams who park the bus. On the few occasions that the opposition get numbers forward and lose possession, England are incapable of breaking at speed. They pass the ball around backwards and sideways until the opposition have all their players back behind the ball. Contrast that with Germany who, if they break up an attack in their own half, then three passes later they are up to the opposition penalty area. Hodgson is to blame. Like Martinez it appears that possession is the holy grail and anyone who gives possession away when trying a long ball (Rooney excluded) is in big trouble.

Its the game after that... likely to be france.

I fear hodgson more. Doesnt he look like an arrogant defiant prick? He has to be too clever for his own good. Its like he does it to annoy us on purpose.

At that point it's the quarters, every team is going to be tough

England's problem for a few years now is their total inability to play against teams who park the bus. On the few occasions that the opposition get numbers forward and lose possession, England are incapable of breaking at speed. They pass the ball around backwards and sideways until the opposition have all their players back behind the ball. Contrast that with Germany who, if they break up an attack in their own half, then three passes later they are up to the opposition penalty area. Hodgson is to blame. Like Martinez it appears that possession is the holy grail and anyone who gives possession away when trying a long ball (Rooney excluded) is in big trouble.

The key is to have players who if a team camp out we can hit them with one of 2 options.

1. A player who will dribble and commit the defenders and make something happen. Like messi does for Barca. Our man to do that is Barkley... roy doesnt like him.

2. A big target who we can cross the ball to in the box when surrounded by defenders... step forward Andy Carroll... roy doesnt like him.

1. A player who will dribble and commit the defenders and make something happen. Like messi does for Barca. Our man to do that is Barkley... roy doesnt like him.

In my opinion, he's the only midfielder capable of doing this in the squad.

Sterling is...just Sterling. Lallana is too slight and slow, Rooney has lost pace to beat a man and Henderson is just weak.

Alli can do it, when he wants to but he prefers to sit back and dictate the passing game. He does make VERY good runs though and is a willing runner, he just doesn't do it enough with the ball at his feet IMO. Ross can. Ross isn't perfect and he is going to lose to ball once in a while but he's better than what's currently out there.

Now, I do have my reservations about Kane and it's all about the service (this argument again). At Spurs, it's on a plate for him and the guys behind him know how he plays, the likes of Eriksen, Lamela and Alli feed him constantly. They get the ball to him fast and allow him to do his thing, which is finishing. He's a true, out and out confidence striker who will hit everything and anything first time (if he could). With England, he's being made to work for it and it shows he can't do that sort of work. But, you put someone like Barkley behind him, I genuinely think you'd see the Kane we've been used to the league.

At present, he has Sterling (no final ball), Sturridge (selfish style striker), Lallana (accuracy is dire), Rooney (too occupied) and Wilshere (dire)....he isn't getting the service and it's blatant.

Barkley would play every match if he had left Everton last season to sit on the bench at Man City or Chelsea. He'd be a "big club" player and totally indispensable.

England have their favourites, they always have and it's always been a problem that has ultimately cost them tournament after tournament.

Problem is, when you're not at a 'big' club, you're not as marketable. I'm absolutely convinced that this is another reason as to why the team you play for has precedence over form/ability.

Otherwise Danny Drinkwater (unfashionable player and team) would be the first player on that team sheet.

The FA are money makers, Hodgson is a yes man. Who can make them more money? Sterling (not sure why), Wilshere (unjustifiable inclusion) and Henderson (Liverpool captain).

Another thing that annoys me. Stones has been publicly slated by Roy and the fucking England media/pundit bandwagon, for taking risks as a defender. Erm......Chris Smalling? Does it all the time. Doesn't get lambasted. The bias is getting laughable.

Like last night when he chested the ball back to Hart...

Townsend with his direct runs and delivery would have seen us in a better position imo rather than taking Thelma from Scooby Do and love him or hate him Andy Carol should have gone he'd have caused teams massive problems from set pieces in the last 20 mins and dragged defenders from pillar to post creating space for others

Wilshire isn't fit enough and far to rusty and after a few decent qualification games I just don't get the hype around him Lallana has looked twice the player bar his end product

Saying that I've no faith in Roy never have never will, well done to Wales though with a fairly bang average side overall they play as a unit and team but with the new format finishing second could be a blessing in disguise Wales could potentially get a tougher draw looking at the groups. If we win on Monday we will likely play France who out of the "expected" sides Spain Germany and Italy I'd rather play them out of the "big four"

Edited by EFC-Paul

Spain v Italy in the last sixteen! Who'd have predicted that?

was going to post. the shitty bracket system they have cause a knockout round "final". if you look at how they have it mapped out with 2nd places and 3rd places and who they play, there's no rhyme or reason to it.

instead of highest seeded 3rd places to lowest, it's best 3rd place of these 3 groups makes this spot. what the F is that?

Because England and Spain didn't win their group, France, Germany, England, Spain and Italy are now all on the same side of the bracket. If Portugal don't win their group, they will join those 5 countries.

(Belgium is on the other side of the bracket; losing to Italy might have been the best thing ever).

Italy are always winning Group E so they're probably not playing with their best players; they're all focusing on Spain already and I don't think they care much about their last game in Group E. If Ireland beat them tonight, Ireland will advance because at the very least Ireland will be one of the best third place teams.

Could be a real chance for them.