IGNORED

Graziano Pelle

I would like to see a better calibre of striker but I will say one thing... the lad will not be found idling when deulofeu is crossing the ball in.

Get rid of niasse, kone, lukaku. Get this lad in and go for the marquee striker.

Won't cost much more than £6m I think.

Edited by Hafnia

Given our lack of depth upfront I would definitely have him in our squad for the next couple of seasons (not sure what his cost would be, but not massive at 30years old and only 12months left on his Southampton contract). Hard worker, and a good finished, especially with his head. The sort of striker who would thrive on Del boys crosses.

Pre Moshiri I'd have been fairly happy to have him here but I'd like to see a higher calibre of player even if its as an impact/sub we need players that will push for places and if Lukaku goes and we bring in a top quality forward this lad won't put a rocket up his arse, its been one of our major problems over the last few seasons...

11 prem goals in 30 this season. 12 in 38 last season.

Based on minutes played in an Everton shirt in the prem - Rom has averaged a goal every 2.2 games. Pelle has averaged a goal every 2.6 games for Southampton.

Equated on a level playing field of 38 games that projects Rom as 17.2 goals per season and pelle 14.6 per season. Pelle also doesn't take penalties.

Personally for a player who arguably offers a lot more "team work" at a price which is a fraction of what Rom costs we could do a lot worse for a squad player. His goals per minutes is pretty good.

Edit:- this probably identifies more a case of that it may not be that hard to replace Roms goals vs pelle being a great signing. He could be a good squad player but I want a full on goal machine- pain in the arse to defenders.

Edited by Hafnia

I think we should be looking at the bigger picture.

I want our team to score more goals and concede less.

Don't care who scores them.

Would rather win a trophy and finish higher up than have a golden boot winner.

agree, but if you have a golden boot winner, your chances of winning something increases greatly. Provided, of course, the manager can arrange a sodding defence :dry:

Haf. He is a good player but a striker need to score more goals than he does, because goals win games. That simple.

As my stats show in goals per minutes he's not a million miles away from Rom. 2.5 goals a season less than Rom without pens...

But yes, I want a striker who is more prolific and does more. But as I say he will be relatively peanuts and give us a great presence especially with Gerry crossing balls in.

Edited by Hafnia

As my stats show in goals per minutes he's not a million miles away from Rom. 2.5 goals a season less than Rom without pens...

But yes, I want a striker who is more prolific and does more. But as I say he will be relatively peanuts and give us a great presence especially with Gerry crossing balls in.

his goal tally is, that's what I'm interested in. Lacina Traore must have a 1 per 60 minute stat, it's very misleading.

Anyway, we both agree; Pelle is a decent player but we need better.

his goal tally is, that's what I'm interested in. Lacina Traore must have a 1 per 60 minute stat, it's very misleading.

Anyway, we both agree; Pelle is a decent player but we need better.

Yes 1 goal in 60 minutes is an outlier but over 5000 minutes of football isnt.

Pelle and Lukaku can be compared with a sufficient data set and the fact that based on minutes played Rom being a 17 goal projected scorer stands to reason just as pelle can at 14.5.

Is that 2.5 goal a season average really worth all the baggage and expense? For me no and it never has been.

I've stated on many occasions that a striker with Gerry firing those fizzing 6 yard box crosses should score plenty. For a period Rom did till he suddenly wasn't that interested in making the courageous rushes into the land of the goalkeeper.

We need options. I would not be against having Pelle as a player to work the opposition defence in certain games whilst adding a sizeable threat and decent goalscoring threat. For me we need 3 or 4 strikers. Pelle seems a decent lad, good experience, knows the prem and will be very good value in the last year of his deal.

Yes 1 goal in 60 minutes is an outlier but over 5000 minutes of football isnt.

Pelle and Lukaku can be compared with a sufficient data set and the fact that based on minutes played Rom being a 17 goal projected scorer stands to reason just as pelle can at 14.5.

The difference being Rom has actually scored 17 goals in a season in the PL.

What was Rom's goal per minute ratio when he was at West Brom?

I think it's time for Rom to go to, but I don't think the two are comparable at all. This would be a very underwhelming signing.

Edited by TonkaRoost

I would be very dissapointed if we replaced Lukaku with Pelle, he is a downgrade and at 30 years of age he career will only be going in one direction

We need to be aiming higher, granted it could prove difficult to attract a top class striker here but then I never dreamt we could attract Lukakau, and we have to be a better proposition now we have Moshiri's dosh behind us

I would be very dissapointed if we replaced Lukaku with Pelle, he is a downgrade and at 30 years of age he career will only be going in one direction

We need to be aiming higher, granted it could prove difficult to attract a top class striker here but then I never dreamt we could attract Lukakau, and we have to be a better proposition now we have Moshiri's dosh behind us

No one is replacing lukaku with pelle.... we are looking at signing a striker for a squad that has no other real credible options at this moment or indeed has done since we sold Naismith.

Pelle would cost no more than £8m.

The difference being Rom has actually scored 17 goals in a season in the PL.

What was Rom's goal per minute ratio when he was at West Brom?

I think it's time for Rom to go to, but I don't think the two are comparable at all. This would be a very underwhelming signing.

I have given you a breakdown of minutes played and goals scored.... players can't score from the bench or treatment table... pelle was rotated with a very viable option in shane long. They are comparable. Simple as that. People just don't like reading it.

Look at Aguero- case and point.

Edited by Hafnia

I have given you a breakdown of minutes played and goals scored.... players can't score from the bench or treatment table... pelle was rotated with a very viable option in shane long. They are comparable. Simple as that. People just don't like reading it.

Look at Aguero- case and point.

Your as pompous in your "facts" as Lukaku is about his own ability.

My point is that Lukaku was rotated more when at WBA, and the argument could be made that it's easier for someone to score against a tired defense, but I'm sure this point will be lost on you:

Pelle works his socks off whereas Rom doesn't, and Rom still has a better goal per game ratio. Makes you wonder what he could do if he wasn't lazy. As much I'm sure you don't like reading it, they are not comparable.

Your as pompous in your "facts" as Lukaku is about his own ability.

My point is that Lukaku was rotated more when at WBA, and the argument could be made that it's easier for someone to score against a tired defense, but I'm sure this point will be lost on you:

Pelle works his socks off whereas Rom doesn't, and Rom still has a better goal per game ratio. Makes you wonder what he could do if he wasn't lazy. As much I'm sure you don't like reading it, they are not comparable.

Pompous? Pot kettle eh.

Wba? Yep great example, they used long as a battering Rom and used to bring on Rom for the last 30 minutes.

I've said on numerous occasions he's an expensive impact sub. Perfect for man city.

The fact is people are saying pelle doesn't score... his stats suggest otherwise.

Pompous? Pot kettle eh.

Wba? Yep great example, they used long as a battering Rom and used to bring on Rom for the last 30 minutes.

I've said on numerous occasions he's an expensive impact sub. Perfect for man city.

The fact is people are saying pelle doesn't score... his stats suggest otherwise.

Not even close to what people are saying - They're saying he doesn't score enough, and his stats confirm that.

Edited by Matt

Pompous? Pot kettle eh.

He scores -- just not enough to warrant a comparison with Rom.

Rom had 17 in 35 at WBA.

Pelle's best ratio is 11 in 30 for Southhampton.

Edited by TonkaRoost

Southampton created over 10% more chances than us both this season and last, so on a like for like and minutes played against minutes played basis, Pelle could have 10% more opportunities to score than Lukaku, yet still scores nearly 20% fewer goals. Not sure we could afford to suffer those reduced margins with the lack of goals from elsewhere in the team.

He scores -- just not enough to warrant a comparison with Rom.

Rom had 17 in 35 at WBA.

Pelle's best ratio is 11 in 30 for Southhampton.

It's 11 in 23. Created the same number of assists as Rom in 15 less games too.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/17909/History/Graziano-Pell

Maybe this is where Southamptons chance creation comes from?

As I say... a more rounded striker who's goal stats aren't a million miles away from Lukakus. At a price under £10m he will be a great squad addition.

Not for one second am I saying he will go and smash the goals in for us... I just don't think he's far off what we have already got who is a supposed 50m+ player. Is that because he's 23 and all that stuff? I don't know but for me pelle will be a solid addition to the squad and the Lukaku money will be most welcome.

Edited by Hafnia

It's 11 in 23. Created the same number of assists as Rom in 15 less games too.

Maybe this is where Southamptons chance creation comes from?

As I say... a more rounded striker who's goal stats aren't a million miles away from Lukakus. At a price under £10m he will be a great squad addition.

Where are you getting 23 from? I'm looking at the league last season and total games played.