IGNORED

Morgan Schneiderlin

Maybe he's a basketball fan or maybe he has another player/reason for wearing 23. Growing up, seemingly every kid wanted to be number 23 like Michael Jordan. I always liked wearing 13 to be transgressive.

Definitely a Jordan fan. Part of the reason why his is the only kit with a name/number on it that I own.

This has sofented the blow of the fact I have to go home and eat one of my wife's shepherds pies, I'm stalling as long as I can in the gym because they're fucking grim.

Now as I eat eevery mouthful I'll think "get the fuck in, small sacrifice this for signing Schneiderin"

A small request here: I hope one of you will go back to Paddock's post #386 and punch in a thumbs up, so it will garner the prestigious "Favorite" designation.

I fell over laughing when I read it. Then went to my wife -- who cares absolutely nothing about Everton or any sports team anywhere -- and read it to her. Except I kept breaking down with tears of laughter at the words "and eat ......" Finally got it out, and she was laughing hysterically, too. Our closest friends here in the U.S. are Brits, and we talk food periodically. My wife has thought of doing a shepherd's pie, but now, maybe not.

Thanks, Paddock. Hope you survived the meal. Please post on some topic tomorrow morn, so we'll know you made it.

Anyone who doesn't understand the shirt number issue doesn't understand footballing traditions.

As a grand old club tradition should be very important.

For anyone that didn't know, we were the very first club to wear 1-11, making all of those shirts not just a number. It's another piece of history.

Anyone who doesn't understand the shirt number issue doesn't understand footballing traditions.

As a grand old club tradition should be very important.

For anyone that didn't know, we were the very first club to wear 1-11, making all of those shirts not just a number. It's another piece of history.

It's not important where we've been, it's where we're going. Let the kopites hang on to the past, I want to go forward.

Aiden, of course it's important where we've been that's what makes us so important to so many.

To me our past consists of my Dad being in the stands for some of the best football this club has ever played. My grandad being in the stands when Dixie lead the team. The past is what connects me to this club by blood, the traditions we hold is what keeps that alive.

It is just one squad number, and I am a bit tongue in cheek and a bit over the top with my hatred of this kind of thing. But squad numbers are a major part of our history. Dixie was the worlds first number nine, can't ever forget that!

Aiden, of course it's important where we've been that's what makes us so important to so many.

To me our past consists of my Dad being in the stands for some of the best football this club has ever played. My grandad being in the stands when Dixie lead the team. The past is what connects me to this club by blood, the traditions we hold is what keeps that alive.

It is just one squad number, and I am a bit tongue in cheek and a bit over the top with my hatred of this kind of thing. But squad numbers are a major part of our history. Dixie was the worlds first number nine, can't ever forget that!

He was Everton's first number 9, not the world's or even England's according to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad_number_(association_football)

"The first documented instance of numbers being used in association football [in the USA of all places] was on 30 March 1924 when the Fall River Marksmen played St. Louis Vesper Buick during the 1923–24 National Challenge Cup."
"The first time numbers were used in association football in Europe was 25 August 1928 when Sheffield Wednesday played Arsenal and Chelsea hosted Swansea Town at Stamford Bridge."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/gunners-wear-numbered-shirts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_FA_Cup_Final

I was always under the impression this was the first game, but that's ten years after your info there Mike so I'll stand corrected.

Someone needs to let the club know though

http://www.evertonfc.com/content/history/everton-firsts

I'd always believed that to be the truth as well, just thought I'd check it out :(.