IGNORED

Morgan Schneiderlin

He was Everton's first number 9, not the world's or even England's according to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad_number_(association_football)

"The first documented instance of numbers being used in association football [in the USA of all places] was on 30 March 1924 when the Fall River Marksmen played St. Louis Vesper Buick during the 1923–24 National Challenge Cup."

"The first time numbers were used in association football in Europe was 25 August 1928 when Sheffield Wednesday played Arsenal and Chelsea hosted Swansea Town at Stamford Bridge."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/gunners-wear-numbered-shirts

It's true. We're pioneers.

Options re versatility, the chance to rotate fresh legs on second half, to reinforce the high press, cover for yellow cards and bans, and a senior international brought in so the onus isn't on our latest 18 year old star every week with the crushing expectation that has allowed so many to criticise Barkley from minute 1 every game.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow joe 96 percent pass accuracy. Looks like a Barry replacement for sure. I think he's going to be great for us

I was surprised at the accuracy, myself. My big takeaway from watching him yesterday is that he is very solid and responsible defensively, but that he also likes taking risks. Some of those risks (like the errant pass across the back line late in the game) scared the shit out of me. I'm hoping that element of his play (the sloppiness, not the risk taking) was a product of exhaustion rather than something representative of his 'football brain.' The stats made me feel a fair bit better about that though.

Edited by JoeQuince