IGNORED

Roberto Martinez

Yeah at first I was like hell no but the more I thought about it his major downfalls wouldn't matter. Fitness? The players come in fit from club sides. No defense? All the US plays now is defense and has for its life, we can't attack to save our lives.

Stubbornness wouldn't be good, but his use of youngsters would be great. Should be interesting to see how this turns out.

I think anyone who doesn't constantly insult American soccer supporters, plays players in their natural positions, and has an actual soccer philosophy would be an improvement over Klinsman. And I think Roberto could bring all of that. He'll be annoyingly positive, but he'll have a tactical plan. Playing two CDM to protect the back four like he did with us might work out very well for the players we currently have. Bradley and Jones can sit and Nagbe/Bedoya/Pulisic/Johnson can bomb up the wings in the midfield. We don't have a guy even as good as Lukaku in hold up play (Bobby Wood probably the closest), so he'd have to sort that out.

To be honest though, I don't think we have the technical ability yet to play Roberto's style. We are still best as a bunker and counter team. Our strengths are still organization, discipline, fitness and togetherness. Just like everyone else, I want that to change. But the change will come slowly. That style is at odds with what American fans love, but we, as a fan base, are getting a lot smarter about soccer. Just about every new fan that started watching the EPL in 2015-2016 loved Leceister City. LCFC bunkered and countered better than just about anyone and won the league. Atletico does it best and they went to the champions league final. It's a legitimate strategy.

BTW, yesterday was the anniversary of Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria. Still gives me goosebumps. (And an example of a pacey counterattack!)

i agree completely keith. we are a defend and counter team, which is why JK insistence on playing attacking football pisses me off. If we just played Italian style park the bus and counter we'd be doing a lot better internationally. We have no technicality, but we have top work rate and fitness and should play to our strengths.

i agree completely keith. we are a defend and counter team, which is why JK insistence on playing attacking football pisses me off. If we just played Italian style park the bus and counter we'd be doing a lot better internationally. We have no technicality, but we have top work rate and fitness and should play to our strengths.

Mark, I think we agree on the US strengths. As much as I hate to say it, what do you think about a Klopp style press for the US? It requires a huge amount of fitness and effort--things the US can provide. I'm sure tactically, it is more complex than I can see, but I think that's another style that I'd support. (Obviously, no one can tell what Jurgen is trying to do)

Mark, I think we agree on the US strengths. As much as I hate to say it, what do you think about a Klopp style press for the US? It requires a huge amount of fitness and effort--things the US can provide. I'm sure tactically, it is more complex than I can see, but I think that's another style that I'd support. (Obviously, no one can tell what Jurgen is trying to do)

Yes that could work. I hope they fire klinsi and give someone else 2 years before the next World Cup.

• 1 month later...

SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT....

We had an application from Rudi Garcia. RUDI GARCIA.

And they picked Roberto Martinez. Classic Royal Belgian FA. Fuck me. 10/10. No trophies with the golden generation then, good to know in advance.

Edited by Mirallas

Statement from the Royal Belgian FA:

The RBFA is pleased and proud to have found a manager of this caliber on such a short term for our national team. After having made a shortlist of the most interesting profiles, the choice for Roberto Martinez has followed swiftly. Roberto Martinez has already made known that he's honored to be able to work with such a talented group of players.

RBFA Logic:

hmmmm let's see we have 40 applications.... Marcello Lippi... Rudi Garcia... Roberto Martinez....

Let's Google Roberto Martinez... Google: 'Did you mean Roberto Mancini' <clicks Riberto Mancini> "Ooh wow, this guy won the Premier League with Machester City, three times Serie A with Inter Milan, a few cups as well. SIGN THIS MAN NOW!

Edited by Mirallas

Say what you want about him...he knows how to talk himself into good jobs!

Unbelievable.

How can he land this job?! Surely there were more creditable candidates out there?

Never the less, good luck to him. Maybe international footy will be his 'ting?!!

As much as he was a walking/talking fuck up at Everton, I genuinely believe his style and philosophy i smore suited to international games. They're much more open. I actually think he'll do alright.

His problem is, he's got history with Rom and Kev, so they may cause some unrest in the dressing room, irrelevant of what Roberto does.