IGNORED

Roberto Martinez

Right now the RBFA is doing a live press conference. The board guys are just doing a lot of blablabla as if they brought in Jesus Christ himself to lead the team... And Martinez is his typical eloquent self but really without any substance to what he's saying.

I genuinely believe his style and philosophy i smore suited to international games.

That may be true and it did cross my mind ... But still: we could have had Rudi Garcia (Eden Hazard loves this guy). I can't get over this.

Edited by Mirallas

Martinez will get chewed up and spat out by the Belgian players - they need a manager who takes absolutely no prisoners. If we think England are bad in terms of egos and players needing a manager who can sort the mentality out then Belgium are far worse.

Disaster of an appointment for them. Their players will destroy him and his press interviews will antagonise the nation - what's Flemish for phenomenal?

This is what I come home to after a two week holiday :-\

I dont really mind though. Guy I wanted isnt available right now (Preud'homme) but probably will be next year. Martinez can be caretaker for a year.

Belgian FA is very poor; we were never going to get a big name like Van Gaal etc. I wonder how much Lippi would have cost, he was my preferred choice.

He couldn't be more ironic with his interview statements if he tried:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36977138

"We will always work to be on the ball and be an attacking team, but you have to be able to defend. We want to play attractive football but we have to win."

Failed in the PL to play attacking football for the most part and as for defending, it's hard to think of a manager with lesser ability to coach a team to defend.

"We have the talent but you need to build a winning mentality and play without too much expectation"

He certainly knows how to destroy expectation, but the winning mentality rarely appeared.

I think Martinez could do well at Belgium. If Lukaku and co don't put thoughts into players minds to begin with, hopefully, it will be a fresh start for players and manager. Martinez is a competition manager, he seems to get the best out of players for cups. Two FA cup semi finals and won the cup with Wigan. Could be a good appointment if given a fair crack at the whip.

Only paid 800.000 EUR a year and he's moving his whole family to Brussels.

Looks like he really wanted this job and is fully committed.

Good point about him doing well in cups, bluenosetoffee.

Only? I guess he'll have to chip into his 15mEUR retirement fund we gave him if things get tight...

:dry:

• 3 weeks later...

Smart move getting Henry because rom was probably not gonna listen to Bobby but will when handball boy speaks. Apparently Jones isn't going with him because the refused to pay him 500k a year!!! Ten grand a week for a part time trainers job? Fuck me in the arse seriously hard

Jones is still with him.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/26/theirry-henry-belgium-assistant-coach-arsenal