Sign in to follow this  
markjazzbassist

Roberto Martinez

Getting booed by Belgium fans already.

Apparently it's VERY Everton in style and performance.

Yeah it was exactly like what it was for the past 2 years at Everton. It's a bit odd, cause it's unlikely to see Martinez' style already after a few days of training... but it was like: the Belgians were always playing densely together around the ball to give the Spaniards less space, but that also left a lot of space in the back and they kinda forgot to open up the play again once in posession. It seemed like no one really knew or cared what their role was. Individually, Hazard was superb, but he didn't receive the ball enough or the others didn't combine well enough to be effective. (De Bruyne was terrible) Same for Carrasco who showed a lot of good will, but was always took on 3 or 4 Spaniards on his own. Meunier was good too. Other than that, they played like a pub team.

Spain wasn't even good. I felt like if Belgium played like they did against Hungary, that it would have been another 4-0 victory.

Probably a "power" move to show him who's boss...

may be an element of paranoia - he also dropped mirallas. Its highly unlikely that he will think that those two will give him a good press to their team mates.

Belgium needed a manager who would smash tea cups. I do quite like the idea of Thierry Henry working with two of our forward players though.

may be an element of paranoia - he also dropped mirallas. Its highly unlikely that he will think that those two will give him a good press to their team mates.

Belgium needed a manager who would smash tea cups. I do quite like the idea of Thierry Henry working with two of our forward players though.

Henry working with Rom and Mirallas is the only good that can come of this.

From what I hear on Henry on Sky he seems to talk shit most of the time so I was surprised by the appointment.

I don't really get what the fuss is about Martinez's first game. He has had the players for a few days, they were only playing a friendly and they were against one of the best teams in the World (the same also applied to Spain). Belgium were shite in the Euros and Mirallas and Lukaku were probably just dropped because he knows all about them already and wanted to look at others in a game.

From what I hear on Henry on Sky he seems to talk shit most of the time so I was surprised by the appointment.

I don't really get what the fuss is about Martinez's first game. He has had the players for a few days, they were only playing a friendly and they were against one of the best teams in the World (the same also applied to Spain). Belgium were shite in the Euros and Mirallas and Lukaku were probably just dropped because he knows all about them already and wanted to look at others in a game.

i agree. plus it would have been 1-0 if J Lukaku wasn't dumb. his foul for the penalty was awful.

Somewhat double standards when people suggest hist first season success at Everton was down to Moyes but his first game for Belgium was all his fault :dont know: .

Somewhat double standards when people suggest hist first season success at Everton was down to Moyes but his first game for Belgium was all his fault :dont know: .

Exactly!

Judge him when he fails to qualify, all the players come back with pulled hammies and tells everyone it they were phenomenal :)

32 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

He’s not getting the Spain job, Luis Enrique is.  Maybe he resigns at Belgium or gives the premier league a go when west ham fire pelligrini

Or he stays, he signed until after next EC.

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Yeah he gets drunk on his own reputation is what I was getting at.  

I meant he has his head so buried in his philosophy that he doesn’t see the glaringly obvious. I used to think he was just too proud or stubborn to change when things go wrong, but in hindsight I think he just doesn’t see it. If he did, I honestly think he’d be up there with the worlds best coaches 

16 hours ago, Matt said:

I meant he has his head so buried in his philosophy that he doesn’t see the glaringly obvious. I used to think he was just too proud or stubborn to change when things go wrong, but in hindsight I think he just doesn’t see it. If he did, I honestly think he’d be up there with the worlds best coaches 

I rather suspect he might be the sort of person who doesn't do something if he doesn't fully understand the sense of doing so. So even if a certain action is often done by other managers or seems vaguely to him that it might even make sense, I think he may be the sort of guy who won't do it unless he fully, for 100% understands the logic behind doing so within the strategy he has set out.

11 hours ago, pete0 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6337869/How-Roberto-Martinez-turned-managerial-career-around.html

Would get him off our paybill, can only hope! 

Wonder whether Lukaku will follow him if he does? :fishing:

Zidane was a magician getting that squad to perform.  There isn’t a lot of quality there now and bale is not showing up.  Squad needs a serious overhaul.  Unless he’s given time and a couple windows, which is doubtful seeing how quickly they fired lopetegui, I don’t see it working.

a death wish that job.  Proves how amazing zidane was to get them winning CL.

On 03/11/2018 at 16:14, Palfy said:

He could surprise a lot of people. 

I think he could do well with top players... if he can win over the dressing room and not have them treat him like a clown. Real Madrid's dressing room has to be the biggest bunch of egomaniacs in football... 

3 hours ago, Quinn31 said:

I think he could do well with top players... if he can win over the dressing room and not have them treat him like a clown. Real Madrid's dressing room has to be the biggest bunch of egomaniacs in football... 

I agree with that and led by Ramos who has passed his sell by date, but I wouldn’t mind Keane having a bit of his nasty streak could be the making of him.