Sign in to follow this  
Steve_E

Maarten Stekelenburg

£1m for a back up isn't much but I wouldn't want it to be detrimental to any of the younger lads chances of progressing

Saying that I've not seen much of Griffiths or Hunt so not sure of they've got the potential to cut it

All but free for a keeper who did OK at Southampton last season. Given we only have Joel, happy enough to see him come. It is somebody Koeman knows well and obviously trusts, he will also know how Koeman sets up his defending - so its an easy yes for me, given our lack of depth in this area.

Don't understand this one to he honest.

We need a number one not competition for our back up.

Unless Robles is off?

We only have Joel Shukes the other lads have been playing on loan at a very low level... Halifax etc

It's either he's third choice and there's going to be a first choice brought in alongside him or Joel is off he's back up and a first choice will be brought in anyway

With such a decent budget and high expectations this lad won't be anything more than back up

Hopefully!

He'll be second choice to whoever we sign as our first choice which probably means Robles won't be here next season. I hope the number one isn't Tim Krul though... I want a new face in completely.

Robles will be off I think. He waited for his chance and took it pretty well, if he then finds out we're looking to replace him as number one as soon as Howard leaves then he'll reasonably be looking for somewhere he can prove himself as a number one. Wouldn't blame the guy.

Robles will be off I think. He waited for his chance and took it pretty well, if he then finds out we're looking to replace him as number one as soon as Howard leaves then he'll reasonably be looking for somewhere he can prove himself as a number one. Wouldn't blame the guy.

He would be a good buy for a promoted team or higher championship team I feel. Could become a very decent keeper still in my opinion.

He is a decent keeper but we really need something better.

He came in when Howard was finished and performed the same.

I know some will argue against that. But we performed better with Howard on goals.

The second half of our season was an England.

Now saying it's his fault, just that he wasn't good enough to make any positive difference.

But by now, you all know I don't rate him.

I'd have Begovic definitely don't want Krul I've never seen why some rate him personally

He had 1-2 seasons where he was fantastic, but since then he's been off the radar, largely down to injury I guess. A bit like Vorm for me.

The problem with Krul is he is inconsistent. He has an absolutely brilliant game and then half a dozen average to poor games.

So does Lukaku and he's worth 75m.....shhiiiittt I did it didnt I haha.

Sorrryy!

Right then! Welcome! Prove us all wrong :)

Edit: there better be a genuine star on the way, this is all starting to look like bargain basement shopping Evertond style. He's a good 'keeper but I really was hoping to have a super star between the posts and if that's not the case, hoping its in the AMC role

Ok.... I'll admit I've had to research this one and my conclusion is that this is smart business.

He's clearly been a very good keeper who was possibly mismanaged in latter years. 34 now, a great age for a keeper in terms of experience and reactions etc.

He is usable option... if we sell roles and buy a top end keeper then this lad will be a solid number 2.

Ha ha solid number 2!

Ok.... I'll admit I've had to research this one and my conclusion is that this is smart business.

He's clearly been a very good keeper who was possibly mismanaged in latter years. 34 now, a great age for a keeper in terms of experience and reactions etc.

He is usable option... if we sell roles and buy a top end keeper then this lad will be a solid number 2.

Ha ha solid number 2!

thats a shit joke right there

;)

He was for the first half of the year when Forster was injured.

It's the back-up keeper's job to come in when the first choice is injured though, that's what happened; I don't think he was ever number one.

It's the back-up keeper's job to come in when the first choice is injured though, that's what happened; I don't think he was ever number one.

I agree Mike. But the injury was such a long term one that's why he was loaned from Fulham, to be the number one for the interim. Wasn't like he trusted the other guy to take the reins so he brought him in.

I agree Mike. But the injury was such a long term one that's why he was loaned from Fulham, to be the number one for the interim. Wasn't like he trusted the other guy to take the reins so he brought him in.

OK you may have half a point there :P.

When Howard left I honestly thought that a top quality GK would be the main priority. I was definitely expecting us to pay more than 500k on our new number one... I hope we'll have someone else in by the end of the month.

I think with the anticipated strengthening of the the defence and midfield, Koeman is expecting it to be less of an issue for immediate future. Bit of a gamble but if that's the approach, I can see why.

Agree about the ones you've mentioned but there's plenty of keepers out there we could buy. Why not test Leverkusen with a 20 million bid for Leno? Why not test Koln with a 10 million bid for Horn? Cilessen at Ajax? Sirigu at PSG? There's 4 there and they're all massive upgrades on what we currently have. We don't even have to break the bank for them. We massively need a proper keeper and I'm not confident in Stekelenburg as our first choice if that's the case.

Agree about the ones you've mentioned but there's plenty of keepers out there we could buy. Why not test Leverkusen with a 20 million bid for Leno? Why not test Koln with a 10 million bid for Horn? Cilessen at Ajax? Sirigu at PSG? There's 4 there and they're all massive upgrades on what we currently have. We don't even have to break the bank for them. We massively need a proper keeper and I'm not confident in Stekelenburg as our first choice if that's the case.

I agree but all 4 might not speak much English. Begovic is really the only "decent" (because I don't think he's class, just a step up from Stekkers) one available that is premier proven and speaks good English.

I agree but all 4 might not speak much English. Begovic is really the only "decent" (because I don't think he's class, just a step up from Stekkers) one available that is premier proven and speaks good English.

Leno and Horn are German and Cilleson is Dutch; the Netherlands and Germany both emphasize teaching English to kids in school.