IGNORED

Maarten Stekelenburg

Right then! Welcome! Prove us all wrong :)

Edit: there better be a genuine star on the way, this is all starting to look like bargain basement shopping Evertond style. He's a good 'keeper but I really was hoping to have a super star between the posts and if that's not the case, hoping its in the AMC role

Edited by Matt

Ok.... I'll admit I've had to research this one and my conclusion is that this is smart business.

He's clearly been a very good keeper who was possibly mismanaged in latter years. 34 now, a great age for a keeper in terms of experience and reactions etc.

He is usable option... if we sell roles and buy a top end keeper then this lad will be a solid number 2.

Ha ha solid number 2!

Edited by Hafnia

Ok.... I'll admit I've had to research this one and my conclusion is that this is smart business.

He's clearly been a very good keeper who was possibly mismanaged in latter years. 34 now, a great age for a keeper in terms of experience and reactions etc.

He is usable option... if we sell roles and buy a top end keeper then this lad will be a solid number 2.

Ha ha solid number 2!

thats a shit joke right there

;)

It's the back-up keeper's job to come in when the first choice is injured though, that's what happened; I don't think he was ever number one.

I agree Mike. But the injury was such a long term one that's why he was loaned from Fulham, to be the number one for the interim. Wasn't like he trusted the other guy to take the reins so he brought him in.

I agree Mike. But the injury was such a long term one that's why he was loaned from Fulham, to be the number one for the interim. Wasn't like he trusted the other guy to take the reins so he brought him in.

OK you may have half a point there :P.

• 1 month later...

Agree about the ones you've mentioned but there's plenty of keepers out there we could buy. Why not test Leverkusen with a 20 million bid for Leno? Why not test Koln with a 10 million bid for Horn? Cilessen at Ajax? Sirigu at PSG? There's 4 there and they're all massive upgrades on what we currently have. We don't even have to break the bank for them. We massively need a proper keeper and I'm not confident in Stekelenburg as our first choice if that's the case.

Agree about the ones you've mentioned but there's plenty of keepers out there we could buy. Why not test Leverkusen with a 20 million bid for Leno? Why not test Koln with a 10 million bid for Horn? Cilessen at Ajax? Sirigu at PSG? There's 4 there and they're all massive upgrades on what we currently have. We don't even have to break the bank for them. We massively need a proper keeper and I'm not confident in Stekelenburg as our first choice if that's the case.

I agree but all 4 might not speak much English. Begovic is really the only "decent" (because I don't think he's class, just a step up from Stekkers) one available that is premier proven and speaks good English.

I agree but all 4 might not speak much English. Begovic is really the only "decent" (because I don't think he's class, just a step up from Stekkers) one available that is premier proven and speaks good English.

Leno and Horn are German and Cilleson is Dutch; the Netherlands and Germany both emphasize teaching English to kids in school.