IGNORED

Maarten Stekelenburg

Didn't hear anyone doubting him on the opening day of the season when he saved us from losing. Much rather be makes these mistakes whilst not between the sticks for us.

Didn't hear anyone doubting him on the opening day of the season when he saved us from losing. Much rather be makes these mistakes whilst not between the sticks for us.

Agreed, All keepers make mistakes, it's inevitable but best he makes them for the Dutch than us for me. I'd have more sympathy if he were a younger keeper trying to hold is spot in the national team but realistically he can only have a year or 2 at that level

I must have imagined him being flat-footed for Palace's equaliser.

I'm not questioning that he's had a good start with us, of course he has, and I'm pleased about that. But there's a reason he was brought in as a number 2 - and that is because these sorts of mistakes are what his career is littered with, and that was my concern when we signed him. He's a good cover goalkeeper but we really need to be on the lookout for a number 1.

In that situation, yep.

My previous MOTM comments never even dreamt he could save two pens in a match.

Unless the last minute winner is a real shocker. Maybe a miss kick five yards to Aguero who just rolls it in the net. Or he catches the ball but falls over the line. Maybe not then.

Edited by StevO

Doesn't matter what scenario you link to it Matt, if a player plays well enough to be MOTM he should be given the MOTM, wether the team wins or loses.

Goes without saying for me, not sure how/why it's even under discussion.

Striker gets a hat-trick and we lose 4-3 he's going to take it (probably), We lose 4-3 when it'd have been 8-3 without a certain defender/keeper he takes it. We win 1-0 when the defence is under the cosh for 89mins and we score from a deflected shot a defender/keeper likely to have it, win 1-0 when we're all over a parked bus the midfielder/striker who finds the key takes it.

Result has no bearing on it imo, it's down to who's the best man on the pitch.