IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Bill said:

Probably just trying to boost his confidence, I'm sure Duncan is working on him and I think he will improve.

If he ever reaches the levels Dunc did we'll have a very slightly above average striker on our hands, personally I'd prefer better; can DC-L be the man? Very much doubt it but would be ecstatic to be proved wrong.

I understand the sentiment behind the words DCL worked his nuts off last season and deserves the praise, but I think it would be foolish if we don’t buy a proven goal scorer this summer it would be to bigger gamble to go into next season with DCL as our number one striker, for me he’s not at the level we require at the moment not to say he won’t get there in the future. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Why not?

Oh it’s not that I don’t trust him or have faith, I do. But I can see the sense in having an experienced main striker that DCL can learn from for another twelve months.

But would I be disappointed if we didn’t buy another striker? Not really as I think we in more need elsewhere.

I like him Matt, I really do. Think I’m more talking myself into appeasing others to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Oh it’s not that I don’t trust him or have faith, I do. But I can see the sense in having an experienced main striker that DCL can learn from for another twelve months.

But would I be disappointed if we didn’t buy another striker? Not really as I think we in more need elsewhere.

I like him Matt, I really do. Think I’m more talking myself into appeasing others to be honest. 

Same here, except I don’t expect it to be a 12 month tutelage, it’d be sending him on his way.  

5 hours ago, Finn balor said:

DCL could be the surprise of the season next year. He’s got everything in his locker just needs to compose himself in front of goal. I think Marco has brought him on a bunch. That’s what a good manager is paid for 

Marco was very late to the party when it comes to DCL. He tried Tosun and Richarlison over him before reluctantly accepting DCL is the best choice for the team.

7 hours ago, Shukes said:

Shovel and digging comes to mind😀

11 hours ago, Shukes said:

Totally agree. He needs a proven forward to play understudy to and learn his trade more. 

You cant go into a season with a 21 year old as your main striker.

11 hours ago, Matt said:

Why not?

Of course you can have 21 year-old as your main striker but the ones that can and have been good at it are very far and between, and for me DCL isn'tt in the league of say Rooney, Owen, Fowler or Kane to name a few.

He's not ready to take that responsibility at the moment even though he's given his all and would continue to do so, I fear that his lack of goals or attempts on target could destroy his confidence in his own ability if they didn't improve next season, so let that side of his game improve whether it's on the training ground, U23s or out on loan.

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

isn'ttt Richarlison 21?

Yes that’s true. I don’t think it comes with the same responsibility though. 

DCL did excellent when he came in towards the end of the season and I expect him to kick on this year. He has everything a top forward needs, and the goals will come.

But can he hit the ground running next season and help us challenge the top? I think we need that extra experience up there to help him achieve it.

I can see him being here a very long time, and so t want his confidence kicked like we have done with so many other young lads.

18 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Yes that’s true. I don’t think it comes with the same responsibility though. 

DCL did excellent when he came in towards the end of the season and I expect him to kick on this year. He has everything a top forward needs, and the goals will come.

But can he hit the ground running next season and help us challenge the top? I think we need that extra experience up there to help him achieve it.

I can see him being here a very long time, and so t want his confidence kicked like we have done with so many other young lads.

I’ve told you before about talking sense it doesn’t suit you 😂 good points mate. 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

Of course you can have 21 year-old as your main striker but the ones that can and have been good at it are very far and between, and for me DCL isn'ttt in the league of say Rooney, Owen, Fowler or Kane to name a few.

He's not ready to take that responsibility at the moment even though he's given his all and would continue to do so, I fear that his lack of goals or attempts on target could destroy his confidence in his own ability if they didn't improve next season, so let that side of his game improve whether it's on the training ground, U23s or out on loan.

All I know is that our up turn in form coincided with him starting up top. The 4 named were predominantly strikers, DCL is more a forward and with the style we play is a very good option  

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

All I know is that our up turn in form coincided with him starting up top. The 4 named were predominantly strikers, DCL is more a forward and with the style we play is a very good option  

Yes I do t think confidence is any issue at the moment. Listening to him in interviews, he sounds very happy with his progress. 

People tall about his goals etc, yet he has a very good goals to minutes ratio doesn’t he? Not sure what, but it’s mentioned in that article. 

Its a mid table philosophy that you need a striker up top scoring the goals. Top teams these days go for a different approach and we should be vying for the same. I’m happy if other players are scoring due to DCL applying himself as he has done.

A goal for Richarlison, Siggy, Digne, or DCL, is a goal for Everton.

On 01/06/2019 at 22:31, Shukes said:

Yes I do t think confidence is any issue at the moment. Listening to him in interviews, he sounds very happy with his progress. 

People tall about his goals etc, yet he has a very good goals to minutes ratio doesn’t he? Not sure what, but it’s mentioned in that article. 

Its a mid table philosophy that you need a striker up top scoring the goals. Top teams these days go for a different approach and we should be vying for the same. I’m happy if other players are scoring due to DCL applying himself as he has done.

A goal for Richarlison, Siggy, Digne, or DCL, is a goal for Everton.

8 goals from 38 in all comps @ 247 mins per goal. 

Hes improving every year and this next season if he should be aiming for about 200 per goal. 

22 years old after all.

49 minutes ago, Btay said:

8 goals from 38 in all comps @ 247 mins per goal. 

Hes improving every year and this next season if he should be aiming for about 200 per goal. 

22 years old after all.

His overall contribution is very admirable when you consider his 5 assists too. Goal or an assist every 161 mins. (1769/(6+5)) 

If he leads the line next year we could expect 11 goals and 10 assists, and I'd be happy with that. Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to get more with Bernard now being more accustomed to the league. Add a better CM who can pick a pass and a RB who can cross and he'll be golden. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

His overall contribution is very admirable when you consider his 5 assists too. Goal or an assist every 161 mins. (1769/(6+5)) 

If he leads the line next year we could expect 11 goals and 10 assists, and I'd be happy with that. Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to get more with Bernard now being more accustomed to the league. Add a better CM who can pick a pass and a RB who can cross and he'll be golden. 

Exactly, just keep progressing and achieving targets set. I really want him to get double figures for goals next season. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...