IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Certainly looks promising. I would say one of the things he does need to work on is his decision making. Couple of times where we probably would have scored if he'd had his head up and made a better decision with the ball.. Of course one could say similar about Barkley or even Lukaku at times.

Certainly looks promising. I would say one of the things he does need to work on is his decision making. Couple of times where we probably would have scored if he'd had his head up and made a better decision with the ball.. Of course one could say similar about Barkley or even Lukaku at times.

But that comes with experience. It's important to let young players make mistakes, because they learn so much from that. Over time, it leads to better decision-making.

Two chances in the second half are good examples of that. First, on the right, he took too long and the Stoke defender blocked at the last moment. Second, on the left, he won the ball but tried to score from a narrow angle. In hindsight, it's easy to see there were better options. The next time he faces situation like this, he'll respond quicker or quickly cut back or pass to others in the middle.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Nice to see he is changing people's minds as well.

Effort sometimes gets rewarded.

This of has a big future ahead of him. Strong, so good in the air. Likes to beat a man and is t scared to shoot.

Experience and game time will be his biggest fiend.

I can't believe the stick he was taking for his performances out wide. It's clear as day he's a central striker and will go from strength to strength the more he's played there.

has looked better on the ball, but is still too lazy off the ball for me. little to no runs, pressing non-existent, even a 31 rooney is pressing. has a lot of room to grow, that's for sure.

I think he is quite lively myself. Wouldn't çall him lazy, especially not after having Lukaku last year!

I think he is quite lively myself. Wouldn't çall him lazy, especially not after having Lukaku last year!

i think Lukaku rubbed off on him. the minute the opposition gets the ball he just starts jogging or walking. like, well lads your turn now, pass to me and i'll start doing something. i bitched about it a lot last season as well, like he's entitled or something. he sure as hell ain't ronaldo so i don't know where it comes from.

on the other hand rooney and sandro were run ragged out there. Sandro left of literal exhaustion this weekend.

has looked better on the ball, but is still too lazy off the ball for me. little to no runs, pressing non-existent, even a 31 rooney is pressing. has a lot of room to grow, that's for sure.

He looked incredibly lazy when he chased down Zouma, dispossessed him, ran in on goal and should've been responsible for us going further ahead.

every once in a while a blind squirrel finds a nut. i'm speaking on his whole record, not a 10 second snippet

There are criticisms you can throw at him - not being strong enough at times, making the wrong decisions - but I never thought I'd ever see anyone call him lazy. For me he always puts a shift in for us, no matter what. Even when he's pretty poor out wide I always think to myself that I can't fault his effort.

There are criticisms you can throw at him - not being strong enough at times, making the wrong decisions - but I never thought I'd ever see anyone call him lazy. For me he always puts a shift in for us, no matter what. Even when he's pretty poor out wide I always think to myself that I can't fault his effort.

Totally agree, he may not have the skill set to be a winger and he's definitely no wing back but you certainly can't fault his effort

Play him in his right position and he could very well go on to be a top player

I like him a lot and am all for playing him through the middle but if he wants to keep that position he's going to have to start putting away more of his chances. Look at Rashford - looks a class player but not clinical enough to be played through the middle week in, week out. I think this is the reality with DCL - he'll get plenty of game time but if and when we get the more clinical striker we're all hoping for, his chances will be more limited as a central striker.

I like him a lot and am all for playing him through the middle but if he wants to keep that position he's going to have to start putting away more of his chances. Look at Rashford - looks a class player but not clinical enough to be played through the middle week in, week out. I think this is the reality with DCL - he'll get plenty of game time but if and when we get the more clinical striker we're all hoping for, his chances will be more limited as a central striker.

I think he's a good finisher, honestly can't remember him missing many

I think he's a good finisher, honestly can't remember him missing many

The one that stood out was when he broke through one on one after nicking it off Zouma... I just didn't get the feeling it was going to end up in the back of the net as it was happening. Obviously, that's only one example but I was thinking it last season and watching the u20 tournament in the summer. Don't get me wrong, I really like him, but I don't see him as a prolific goal scorer YET.

The one that stood out was when he broke through one on one after nicking it off Zouma... I just didn't get the feeling it was going to end up in the back of the net as it was happening. Obviously, that's only one example but I was thinking it last season and watching the u20 tournament in the summer. Don't get me wrong, I really like him, but I don't see him as a prolific goal scorer YET.

Im not saying he's up there with Lukaku but he is a young lad learning his trade. His decision making will improve with game time

Im not saying he's up there with Lukaku but he is a young lad learning his trade. His decision making will improve with game time

Exactly, he's still learning his trade and that's why I think he'll be used more in wide positions this season. I'm not saying he should be, I'm saying I expect he will be because he's not the prolific central striker we need at the moment; the player I hope he will go on to be.