Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Shukes said:

This.

If you watch the replay, he was marked. He  makes a slight feint and it earns him half a yard. This gives him a free jump. After that, he needs to get it on target and low down.... and he does.

Paul Rideout used to do it a lot for us. Win the first ball and keep it in play. 

Paul is a friend of mine known him since he played for Swindon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Paul is a friend of mine known him since he played for Swindon.

wish he still played for us  in his prime he was a good target man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Palfy said:

Paul is a friend of mine known him since he played for Swindon.

Can’t tell if your telling the truth or taking the piss haha!

If true. He was one of the players who served a purpose, you could hit a ball long to him, knowing that he would win it 9/10. This allowed otherforwards to work of him. Having that presence in the box at a corner allows players like Richarlison to poach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Can’t tell if your telling the truth or taking the piss haha!

If true. He was one of the players who served a purpose, you could hit a ball long to him, knowing that he would win it 9/10. This allowed otherforwards to work of him. Having that presence in the box at a corner allows players like Richarlison to poach.

It’s true to be honest we haven’t been in touch for a while, his dad was a local builder and we both had Keyline accounts so you to see Paul in there with his old man during school holidays and then when he started making a name for himself at Swindon I’d see him out in town with some of the other players and started drinking with him because we already had a connection. 

He got me tickets for the cup final, and then got me a signed shirt from the team, the tight git charged me for the shirt saying he bought it from the club shop. 

He was the same at Swindon youngest player to play and score for the Town at 16 he looked like an adult in stature strong and mobile. 

He is a great person one of the lads not a big time Charlie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

DCL has scored for England U21s tonight. 

Read that he missed a lot of chances though.. have to look out for some highlights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I think he will be in the full squad soon 

How soon is soon?

I can't see it myself to many in front of him at the moment Kane Stirling Vardy and Rashford, he's unlucky to be coming good when England have a lot of options. But with a few injuries he might get a call up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Palfy said:

How soon is soon?

I can't see it myself to many in front of him at the moment Kane Stirling Vardy and Rashford, he's unlucky to be coming good when England have a lot of options. But with a few injuries he might get a call up.

Vardy has retired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Jimenez bought today for 30m, he's 27 and has 12 goals.  DCL is 22 and has 6 goals and cost us 1.4m (albeit a lot less playing time).  I really believe DCL could be as good in 5 years.

If we have to wait 5 years for him to come good he won't be here when it happens we need a clinical finisher now, he will be a bench player at some point next season Brands and Silva will bring a striker in in the summer transfer window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

very telling stat, he has 1 less aerial battle won than Zouma.  He's played a LOT LESS minutes too, bodes well for the future.  im high on DCL

Don't get me wrong he works hard, but the West Ham game highlighted perfectly his finishing isn'tt going to get him to the top, strikers need to take their chances hard work a lone isn'tt going to get you there even if it does look pleasing on the eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has done a good job for a young lad, I don’t expect him to be leading the line in the 20/21 season. I’m more than happy for him to prove me wrong. We need a 20 goal a season striker, I’d love it to be him but I don’t see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Don't get me wrong he works hard, but the West Ham game highlighted perfectly his finishing isn'ttt going to get him to the top, strikers need to take their chances hard work a lone isn'ttt going to get you there even if it does look pleasing on the eye.

Fortunately for him there is a lot more to his game than hard work alone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Fortunately for him there is a lot more to his game than hard work alone 

There is Duncan but unfortunately it's not his finishing and that may well change in the next few years, but the club won't wait for that to happen and we will buy a new striker in the summer and he will be relegated to the bench.

Striker and Keeper are the two area's in the game that are highlighted more by your actions and stats as to whether your good enough, Mark highlighted his aerial battles won was 1 less than Zouma, to be frank that is pretty irrelevant if as a striker you don't score enough goals and most of your attempts are off target, I can't fault a lot of what he does but he is a striker and he is going to be judged on his finishing because ultimately that is what he is being paid for.

In a lot of ways he is the complete opposite to Lukaku who didn't particularly work hard or play with his heart for the team, but boy could he finish and score a hat full of goals in a team that created a lot less chances, so was adored by a huge majority of supporters because of his goals and his work rate and attitude were mostly over looked because of that,

With DCL his work rate and everything else he does for the team will be overlooked and is becoming too be overlooked if he doesn't start turning everything else he does into goals and that I fear is the reality..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shukes said:

If Palfy doesn’t rate him, it bodes well for us. Means he has a very good chance of becoming world class!

All we need is PeteO to start criticising him and Bailey to bring pages of stats to prove him a poor player and we’ll have a worldie on our hands! 

😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

There is Duncan but unfortunately it's not his finishing and that may well change in the next few years, but the club won't wait for that to happen and we will buy a new striker in the summer and he will be relegated to the bench.

Striker and Keeper are the two area's in the game that are highlighted more by your actions and stats as to whether your good enough, Mark highlighted his aerial battles won was 1 less than Zouma, to be frank that is pretty irrelevant if as a striker you don't score enough goals and most of your attempts are off target, I can't fault a lot of what he does but he is a striker and he is going to be judged on his finishing because ultimately that is what he is being paid for.

In a lot of ways he is the complete opposite to Lukaku who didn't particularly work hard or play with his heart for the team, but boy could he finish and score a hat full of goals in a team that created a lot less chances, so was adored by a huge majority of supporters because of his goals and his work rate and attitude were mostly over looked because of that,

With DCL his work rate and everything else he does for the team will be overlooked and is becoming too be overlooked if he doesn't start turning everything else he does into goals and that I fear is the reality..

I agree with a lot of what your saying but I personally don’t overlook all his other attributes. This is his first real run in the side as a CF and you can see he is starting to flourish. Hopefully the goals will come as he develops but yeah we need to bring in a proven CF in the summer and if we do I think that will only help him anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I agree with a lot of what your saying but I personally don’t overlook all his other attributes. This is his first real run in the side as a CF and you can see he is starting to flourish. Hopefully the goals will come as he develops but yeah we need to bring in a proven CF in the summer and if we do I think that will only help him anyway

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was excellent yesterday. If he could just add goals to his game he could save the club 80 million on a too class striker because he can bully defenders at such a young age, is great with his back to goal, good in the air, boss hold up play but he’s never gonna be a 20 a season atriker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Paddock said:

He was excellent yesterday. If he could just add goals to his game he could save the club 80 million on a too class striker because he can bully defenders at such a young age, is great with his back to goal, good in the air, boss hold up play but he’s never gonna be a 20 a season atriker.

I don't think he will be prolific but neither will firminho.... 16 goals max in bundesliga and 15 in prem.

Firminho gives Liverpool a huge platform to play which DCL gives us.  Very similar players.  DCL looks stronger and quicker, Firminho better technically. DCL better in the air. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hafnia said:

I don't think he will be prolific but neither will firminho.... 16 goals max in bundesliga and 15 in prem.

Firminho gives Liverpool a huge platform to play which DCL gives us.  Very similar players.  DCL looks stronger and quicker, Firminho better technically. DCL better in the air. 

Trouble is if we don't have a striker bagging in 20 a season we need Bernard to start contributing and preferably a CM who can chip in with a few as well, then we will have goals from all over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 goals and 7 assista in 73 appearances is not great is it. I know he’s young and a lot of those will be dub appearances but you look at the likes of Lukaku, Fowler, Owen, Rooney,Henry, Anelka etc etc by the time they were his age they were rattling 20 a season. He’s not a goalscorer and that’s my biggest worry with him. I like the lad, I really do but where does he fit in if we buy a big name striker? We don’t and doubt under Silva we will play a second striker and he’s no good when pushed out wide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Paddock said:

11 goals and 7 assista in 73 appearances is not great is it. I know he’s young and a lot of those will be dub appearances but you look at the likes of Lukaku, Fowler, Owen, Rooney,Henry, Anelka etc etc by the time they were his age they were rattling 20 a season. He’s not a goalscorer and that’s my biggest worry with him. I like the lad, I really do but where does he fit in if we buy a big name striker? We don’t and doubt under Silva we will play a second striker and he’s no good when pushed out wide.

Can't argue with the those cold facts, but if you look at 8 of the 11 being this season it looks promising, I think he has the ability to progress, the run in the team is giving him the confidence he needed, I can see him getting 15 plus next season, add Richarlison and Siggys threat of a similar no and it's not looking bad, even better if Bernard starts to find the net. I'd rather have the treat coming from a number of players instead of one, it covers the dip in form or injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's got the lot... I've said this for a long time now.  There were moments where he looked far from ready but the attributes to be a top striker are there. His pace being one.... 21.4 mph he hit that's rapid.... that's quicker than walcott, Ronaldo and Lennon from records a few years back. 

In the air he's getting better.... now he knows his inclusion in the side isn'tt dependant on goals I believe you will see him flourish. 

This lad is a genuine genuine talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hafnia said:

He's got the lot... I've said this for a long time now.  There were moments where he looked far from ready but the attributes to be a top striker are there. His pace being one.... 21.4 mph he hit that's rapid.... that's quicker than walcott, Ronaldo and Lennon from records a few years back. 

In the air he's getting better.... now he knows his inclusion in the side isn'ttt dependant on goals I believe you will see him flourish. 

This lad is a genuine genuine talent. 

I can’t argue with what you said about his desire pace hard work etc but Silva is right when he said he was disappointed by our lack of goals, and for that reason I don’t think he will be given the time to develop further next season if he doesn’t start burying them from now to the end of the season.

Brands and Silva will be looking to bring in a proven goal scorer, I think they are getting exasperated by the amount opportunities we create and the lack of opportunities taken, something has to change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

honestly i think the goal blame is shared equally between all our forward players, bernard, dcl, gylfi, and richarlison and then the bench players lookman walcott davies tosun.  the only ones who score are gylfi richarlison and to a lesser extent DCL.  the whole rest of the lot has been pretty bad in front of the net.  so to just blame DCL is short sighted in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

honestly i think the goal blame is shared equally between all our forward players, bernard, dcl, gylfi, and richarlison and then the bench players lookman walcott davies tosun.  the only ones who score are gylfi richarlison and to a lesser extent DCL.  the whole rest of the lot has been pretty bad in front of the net.  so to just blame DCL is short sighted in my opinion.

Very true and DCL has been either subbed on or off on most, his tally is OK based on that, he's not that many behind Lacazzette either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

How many of those chances have been missed by DCL though?

He does need to be getting on the end of chances for sure, but right now he’s coming in handy for causing havoc in the oppositions defence by dragging them all over the pitch creating space for the likes of Sigurdsson, Richarlison and Bernard. If anything, those three need to do better for Dominic. 

I was in the Gwladys end and your right Gylfi and Bernard should have done better with there chances, but if we don’t start converting chances and we go out and buy a striker in the summer in all honesty who do you think will be dropped, Gylfi Richarlison Bernard or DCL. 

Now whether it’s right or wrong if they get a striker in they want he will become the fall guy unfairly in all our opinions, but the management are going to be looking to turn our opportunities into goals, so I believe if he doesn’t start sticking them away he will more than likely loose his starting place next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

honestly i think the goal blame is shared equally between all our forward players, bernard, dcl, gylfi, and richarlison and then the bench players lookman walcott davies tosun.  the only ones who score are gylfi richarlison and to a lesser extent DCL.  the whole rest of the lot has been pretty bad in front of the net.  so to just blame DCL is short sighted in my opinion.

So do I but I fear if we don’t start converting our chances the striker will generally be the 1st to lose his place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

So do I but I fear if we don’t start converting our chances the striker will generally be the 1st to lose his place. 

the left winger has been the worst of the 3 when it comes to scoring that's bernard.  richy gylfi and dcl pulling their weight.  i love bernard as much as the next guy but he has shown the least ability to score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

the left winger has been the worst of the 3 when it comes to scoring that's bernard.  richy gylfi and dcl pulling their weight.  i love bernard as much as the next guy but he has shown the least ability to score.

He missed some great chances but I don’t think we will see another winger coming in for the right or left side before we see a striker come in imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Palfy said:

He missed some great chances but I don’t think we will see another winger coming in for the right or left side before we see a striker come in imo. 

had DCL started and played more like myself and others were saying, he would be on double digits for the year.  bernard has scored 1 goal all year and played a lot more than DCL.  i'm not picking on bernard, just saying we need to take a more wholistic approach to goals than just "get the striker".  what if said striker is injured?  we just buy another one in winter?  i don't want to be too reliant on 1 player.  frankly we need more goals from everyone.

 

i just went to the premier league site and look at the goals stats for other teams to prove my point.  didn't work out too well 😂  seems most teams (even top 4 sides) have 1 or 2 doing the majority of the work and then everyone else with goals here and there.  best example i could find of well spread out would be man u and watford.  so i don't even know if what i want is really that acheiveable but it's an idea!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

had DCL started and played more like myself and others were saying, he would be on double digits for the year.  bernard has scored 1 goal all year and played a lot more than DCL.  i'm not picking on bernard, just saying we need to take a more wholistic approach to goals than just "get the striker".  what if said striker is injured?  we just buy another one in winter?  i don't want to be too reliant on 1 player.  frankly we need more goals from everyone.

 

i just went to the premier league site and look at the goals stats for other teams to prove my point.  didn't work out too well 😂  seems most teams (even top 4 sides) have 1 or 2 doing the majority of the work and then everyone else with goals here and there.  best example i could find of well spread out would be man u and watford.  so i don't even know if what i want is really that acheiveable but it's an idea!

 

 

 

 

Shot down by your own investigation is that an own goal 😂 I know what you are saying though more people should be coming up with the goods, 20 something attempts and only one converted you can understand why Silva isn’t best pleased and I’m pleased he’s not pleased. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

had DCL started and played more like myself and others were saying, he would be on double digits for the year.  bernard has scored 1 goal all year and played a lot more than DCL.  i'm not picking on bernard, just saying we need to take a more wholistic approach to goals than just "get the striker".  what if said striker is injured?  we just buy another one in winter?  i don't want to be too reliant on 1 player.  frankly we need more goals from everyone.

 

i just went to the premier league site and look at the goals stats for other teams to prove my point.  didn't work out too well 😂  seems most teams (even top 4 sides) have 1 or 2 doing the majority of the work and then everyone else with goals here and there.  best example i could find of well spread out would be man u and watford.  so i don't even know if what i want is really that acheiveable but it's an idea!

 

 

 

 

Another elephant in the room regarding the current manager, has there ever been one so reluctant to use kids? No debuts this season and only Lookman with more minutes than he got last year. 

Was looking at the spread of our goals the other day, didn't bother checking the others thought but I'd imagine most have more than just the three players with more than 3 goals. Digne is our 4th top scorer (3) and joint top for assists (4).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My late stepdad used to say of ivy that the first year it sleeps, the second year is creeps, and the third year it leaps. I get the feeling we're in the second year for DC-L and look forward to him leaping ahead next season. What's really exciting is the possibility of DC-L and Henry creating a partnership that has them scoring goals for fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Palfy said:

I was in the Gwladys end and your right Gylfi and Bernard should have done better with there chances, but if we don’t start converting chances and we go out and buy a striker in the summer in all honesty who do you think will be dropped, Gylfi Richarlison Bernard or DCL. 

Now whether it’s right or wrong if they get a striker in they want he will become the fall guy unfairly in all our opinions, but the management are going to be looking to turn our opportunities into goals, so I believe if he doesn’t start sticking them away he will more than likely loose his starting place next season. 

Haf's on the case already :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

My late stepdad used to say of ivy that the first year it sleeps, the second year is creeps, and the third year it leaps. 

My grandfather used to say the same thing about syphilis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hafnia said:

I only give shit to players who don't give a shit.  DCL is in for a huge season starting August. 

Agreed. Like Silva has said, he does need to sharpen up his decisions in final third - doesnt mean he needs to score but find/look for that final ball. 

 

Very promising signs though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, StevO said:

I just want him to start scoring goals, if he doesn’t it will cost him his place eventually. I’m dying to see him score some goals. 

Walcott could have helped out with that today. I was willing him to square it for DCL to tap in as his performances of late deserve a goal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...