IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

I think he could be a top drawer centre forward. Already he is a good player and he seems to have a great attitude. I hear behind the scenes he works very hard and I'm sure he will continue to develop. His movement is very good off the ball. He's always making the right runs. Whether the natural instinct for goals is there is another thing.

I do think that the natural goalscorers have scored goals throughout their career right from their youth sides.  He certainly has all the attributes that if he applied himself and with the right coaching, he could be a decent goalscorer. 

Often jumps too early, doesn’t direct the headers he does win, needs to learn to run with the ball (should never have let the defender catch him on Sunday before his goal) and has to work on his finishing from both sides. 

If that’s all I can see wrong with a player with such little experience I’d take that all day. Great work ethic, just got to work on his quality now. 

On 12/5/2017 at 06:18, aaron said:

against west ham (ive spotted a few times before as well) I noticed that the only times he was losing an aerial duel was due to him jumping that bit early, this majorly improved against Huddersfield.

One of my mates is convinced he could be a Harry Kane type, Kane got around 5 goals in his first season then went on to being what he is, DCL is already doing better than that. I really hope we do have a superstar on our hands.

I agree, I think their styles of play are quite comparable. One thing that has impressed me is the variety in his goals; which mostly stem from great movement. 

It's all very encouraging. 

The sky is the limit for the kid.

He's playing a man's role and he's still about 10.5 stone soaking wet. What impresses me is despite being about 3 stone lighter than lukaku - he has 3 times more fight. 

When he fills out a bit more - which I believe he will over the summer he will be so good. He's learning all the time. He's bright, grounded and plays for the team.   Glad we've got him. 

Kanes finishing wasn't anywhere near the level it is now at DCL's age.  

As he gets more experience, fills out a bit more etc you will see him convert more. 

He's got the mentality I identify with proper forwards... he is at it all the time.  He will be a quality quality player.  Tremendous touch and aerial ability. 

This is the problem with some of our fans- they big our players up- Barkley is world class DCL will be as good as Kane etc etc- they wont they are not of that standard but tbf not many players across the globe are then expectations get massively over inflated, fans get on the players back and it’s rinse and repeat.

He's done very well being thrown in at the deep end and I'm positive he will improve

I can't see him reaching the heights of the Kane and Lukaku's of the world he doesn't have that natural finishing ability imo but he does have a lot going for him 

More of a youthful Kone type tbh holds the ball up well pacey and will score a handful of goals 

1 hour ago, Paddock said:

This is the problem with some of our fans- they big our players up- Barkley is world class DCL will be as good as Kane etc etc- they wont they are not of that standard but tbf not many players across the globe are then expectations get massively over inflated, fans get on the players back and it’s rinse and repeat.

agreed.  i want them all to be worldies as well but it's just not in the cards.  

18 minutes ago, captainbeaker said:

At that age it's not too late to improve his finishing, being a good finisher is more about confidence and getting in the right place at right time which comes with experience. Some never learn it but DCL is improving as the season goes on.

The number 1 skill of a finisher is to know where the goalie is at all times.  Then, if you get half a chance, you put  it where the goalie isn't. One of DCL's problems is that too many of his half chances go straight at the goalie. This seems to indicate that he just shoots in the general direction of the goal and hopes for the best.  Earlier posts comment on his 'jumping early'.  This is probably coached into him. Centuries ago, when I played, jumping early was a common tactic. It has the effect of disrupting the timing of jumps by defenders*  which means that either you get there first or another attacker does.  The downside is that if the player who jumps early gets his head to the ball, it is very difficult to control the header.

*If you are a defender and timing your jump to head a cross away, then the forward you are marking jumps early, the effect is that you will then jump late or, more usually, not jump at all. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I love how people use the Kane example as more or less the only person to have gone from a shit goalscorer to a brilliant one. 

The lad has a lot going for him and I expect him to be a prem level striker for years to come but he isn't going to be the next Kane.

Give the lad time to bulk out a bit and we will have another gem imho.

He is not a natural goal scorer, but natural goal scorers seem to settle for that and not really improve throughout his career. He always give 100% and will continue to learn until he is great. I believe he is the type of player who will not suddenly stop improving, he will continue to improve until he becomes one of the best English forwards (like Harry Kane has), or gets injured and never makes it as far as he could.

We have to not forget, he has just won the U20 world cup, scoring goals, and is our best forward already at the age of 20.

8 minutes ago, markiediow said:

He is not a natural goal scorer, but natural goal scorers seem to settle for that and not really improve throughout his career. He always give 100% and will continue to learn until he is great. I believe he is the type of player who will not suddenly stop improving, he will continue to improve until he becomes one of the best English forwards (like Harry Kane has), or gets injured and never makes it as far as he could.

We have to not forget, he has just won the U20 world cup, scoring goals, and is our best forward already at the age of 20.

Comes across like a top professional in his interviews too. Confident but humble and seems to want to improve. Even if things take a wrong turn I'll always have a lot of time for him.

10 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I thought finishing wasn’t something you learned?  Remember jelavic and anichebe ?  

Now you can learn all of a sudden to score at will?  Not buying it.  

Decent player troy deeney of the future.

Finishing is something that can be programmed. Kane has learned it. Henry learned it. Angles...

Personally, I suspect his biggest weakness right now is a result of one of his major strengths: eagerness. He mistimes headers because he's too eager and jumps too soon. He shoots at the keeper because he's too eager and rushes his shots. The more confidence he gains, the more composed he'll became - and the more lethal. He has all the assets of a phenomenal #9.

I wouldn't compare him to Harry Kane at all. Once he bulks up, DC-L strikes me as being more in the mould of Didier Drogba - and I don't believe that's overstating his potential at all.

Findamentally he has the makings of a very good player...  there is no comparison to lukakus inability to improve on his deficiencies - lukakus touch was and is appalling.  Some on here thought it would improve- no chance. The brains neuroplasticity doesnt allow major developments like that later on in development. 

DCL has an advantage over Rom in nearly all attributes aside from finishing. 

Aerial ability:- great leap. Like Cahill he is able to spring high even on a standing jump.

Pace:- quick. Not blinding but quick enough

Strength:- very strong lad. Just isnt mature yet. A few kg away yet but he has loads of aggression. Will be a very good target man.

Touch:- excellent. Soft feet. Looks after the ball.

Finishing:- hit and miss but like I me ruined about henry and kane - they became deadly finishers through analysis not instinct.  A certain spot on pitch = certain type of shot. 

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

Findamentally he has the makings of a very good player...  there is no comparison to lukakus inability to improve on his deficiencies - lukakus touch was and is appalling.  Some on here thought it would improve- no chance. The brains neuroplasticity doesnt allow major developments like that later on in development. 

Aerial ability:- great leap. Like Cahill he is able to spring high even on a standing jump.

Strength:- very strong lad. Just isnt mature yet. A few kg away yet but he has loads of aggression. Will be a very good target man.

Finishing:- hit and miss but like I me ruined about henry and kane - they became deadly finishers through analysis not instinct.  A certain spot on pitch = certain type of shot. 

He’s good in the air, his touch isn’t great, he’s nowhere near as strong as Lukaku was at that age and his finishing ability is average. That being said he will develop into a good player, he’ll be more like a Giroud type player than a Lukaku or Kane- he’ll hold the ball up well score 10-15 a season on average and get a few assists.

2 hours ago, Paddock said:

He’s good in the air, his touch isn’t great, he’s nowhere near as strong as Lukaku was at that age and his finishing ability is average. That being said he will develop into a good player, he’ll be more like a Giroud type player than a Lukaku or Kane- he’ll hold the ball up well score 10-15 a season on average and get a few assists.

I think he will surprise us.  His development has been rapid. Clearly a bright lad. 

5 hours ago, hafnia said:

SInce when is Edinson Cavani in our team?

I think I’ve been watching a different player. Yes he tried very hard but I’m missing the ability some of you lads are seeing.

Let’s get this straight, when we had Lukaku Dom was not forcing his way into the pecking order. The lad is playing because we have him and Niasse, aside from them two there are no other option. 

Yes hes a decent player and he does have talent, but I don’t think we will see him go on to play for a bigger club than Everton. After we buy a striker or two I’ll be shocked if we keep seeing him in the first team. 

Hes done himself no harm, but I’m not excited by him as a future top player. 

9 hours ago, StevO said:

I think I’ve been watching a different player. Yes he tried very hard but I’m missing the ability some of you lads are seeing.

Let’s get this straight, when we had Lukaku Dom was not forcing his way into the pecking order. The lad is playing because we have him and Niasse, aside from them two there are no other option. 

Yes hes a decent player and he does have talent, but I don’t think we will see him go on to play for a bigger club than Everton. After we buy a striker or two I’ll be shocked if we keep seeing him in the first team. 

Hes done himself no harm, but I’m not excited by him as a future top player. 

When we had lukaku - DCL was a 15 to 19 year old... not everyone is built like Rooney or lukaku at that age.  The kid is tall and will take some filling out. 

It's ridiculous to suggest he was going to push lukaku out - even though  there were times it would have been warranted. 

He's already a better "footballer" than lukaku. He leads the line with a maturity, aggression and awareness that lukaku would never possess in his career. For a lad as slight as him to be doing the role he is so young and with so fee games under his belt is an anomaly.

I called out Kane to be a good player whilst people were calling him shite. This lad is similar in many ways. Unspectactuclar yet very very clever and tuned in. 

He looked a fish out of water not so long ago yet now he looks like a bona fide premier league player. His learning curve has been really impressive. 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/dominic-calvert-lewin-rom-leaving-i-knew-there-was-going-be-opportunity-now-its-down-me

Awesome interview. I'm not going to heap unwarranted praise on this kid, but he has great potential and a hard working attitude. The fact that he was a CM makes a lot of sense. 

The player comparison towards the end is left-field and I like it. 

3 hours ago, nutmegwolf203 said:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/dominic-calvert-lewin-rom-leaving-i-knew-there-was-going-be-opportunity-now-its-down-me

Awesome interview. I'm not going to heap unwarranted praise on this kid, but he has great potential and a hard working attitude. The fact that he was a CM makes a lot of sense. 

You certainly can't fault his attitude and determination. That's the first job done right there.

4 hours ago, nutmegwolf203 said:

In Calvert-Lewin he has a Kevin Davies-Nicolas Anelka hybrid in the making.
Unfortunately he's nothing like Anelka ability-wise. Gladly he's not a gobshite like him though.