IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

11 hours ago, Quinn31 said:

That is the most bizarre player reference I've ever heard. 

Yeah it's a strange pairing, but I think I understand what he was going for.

I actually think direct comparisons (playing style, etc.) can be damaging and a bit trite for the players in question. I know that's one thing that annoys me about art criticism; it's not really as constructive as intended and can be misleading. I just think this kid has a great attitude and I have a wait-and-see mentality towards his development. He was not supposed to be playing this much and I don't think he has any contemporaries his age playing so often for their PL clubs. He deserves our support because he constantly gives everything and looks to improve. 

Maybe it's the lack of inflection on here, but it often feels like in an effort to exercise our wit we are quick to shoot down a player's potential. As if it's easier to be cynical and funny than just wish someone the best. I'm included in that observation, I'm sure I do it too. 

With that said, I retract my Harry Kane references, they're unfair. He'll grow in to a decent player though, I'm sure of it. He wants it too bad not to. 

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dominic-calvert-lewin-lifts-lid-14044941

Therefore, Calvert-Lewin has no qualms about his new boss’ decision to go without a Yuletide bash this year.

He said: “We are all professionals and you just get on with it.

“It’s nice to enjoy yourselves sometimes but this is the most important time of the year with all the games so we have to make sure we are looking after ourselves and focusing on the next games because they are coming thick and fast.

44 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Doesn’t take everything too serious, while still being professional.

Really like the lad.

Like I said earlier in the thread, his attitude is brilliant and he’s so mature. 

I love his work ethic as well - he might not always be having a good game but he doesn’t hide and he gives his all every single game, often for absolutely no reward. 

On 17/12/2017 at 11:12, Romey 1878 said:

Thank you for quoting the article, saves me opening up that train wreck of a website. Should be written into TT law; if the Echo or Daily Fail are used as a source, take the time to quote the important bits and save everyone else the pain, else the post will be deleted! 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

If it wasn’t England I’d say it was mad that he’ll get a call-up when he’s not been playing well (or much at all really!) recently, but didn’t get one when he was playing regularly and playing fairly well. 

16 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

If it wasn’t England I’d say it was mad that he’ll get a call-up when he’s not been playing well (or much at all really!) recently, but didn’t get one when he was playing regularly and playing fairly well. 

Daft rumour, if he gets a call up Southgate needs sectioning.

Makes complete sense. They aren’t picking him to get us through a qualifier, they are picking him to be in and around the set up .... same as we do in the summer with a hand full of young lads.

Its about time England moved into the 21st century, other countries have been doing this for a long time.

5 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Makes complete sense. They aren’t picking him to get us through a qualifier, they are picking him to be in and around the set up .... same as we do in the summer with a hand full of young lads.

Its about time England moved into the 21st century, other countries have been doing this for a long time.

Take your point but he's not even close to having a sniff of a chance in the foreseeable future; Tom Davies I could get the logic but not DC-L (yet).

This may sound ridiculous but international squads shouldn’t necessarily just be the best 23 players. Sometimes ‘lesser’ players just fit into a role within the group.

With regards to striking options... Kane is a no brainer, Vardy too but after that you’ve got other youngsters in Rashford, Abraham and Solanke etc. who aren’t playing, then more experience in Welbeck and Sturridge but big fitness question marks, then more senior players like Defoe, Walcott and untried players like Wilson and Murray.

Looking at our (England’s) striking options, DCL isn’t too far down the pecking order so may be worth a run-out in the friendlies.

• 2 weeks later...

For me yesterday showed DCL will not make it in this league with us or anyone else, that ball from Rooney just highlighted he’s not good enough when in matters, yes he works hard but you need more than that you need ability and to be able to take your opportunities he doesn’t sadly. 

I believe if that ball was played to Tuson it would have been brought under control an a attempt at goal would have pursued. 

I think DCL has a lot to offer in the game. I personally see a bright future for him at EFC - next season, under the right management could be massive for him. Let’s not forget, he didn’t have a pre-season last year after winning the World Cup and was played as a lone striker for the most part in a toothless team. He’s already made rapid progress and I expect even more.

25 minutes ago, Palfy said:

For me yesterday showed DCL will not make it in this league with us or anyone else, that ball from Rooney just highlighted he’s not good enough when in matters, yes he works hard but you need more than that you need ability and to be able to take your opportunities he doesn’t sadly. 

I believe if that ball was played to Tuson it would have been brought under control an a attempt at goal would have pursued. 

4 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I think DCL has a lot to offer in the game. I personally see a bright future for him at EFC - next season, under the right management could be massive for him. Let’s not forget, he didn’t have a pre-season last year after winning the World Cup and was played as a lone striker for the most part in a toothless team. He’s already made rapid progress and I expect even more.

Unsure myself, could go either way; he shouldn't have come on ahead of Niasse yesterday though. Conditions being what they were and we have a sub who played two years in Russia? No-brainer.

Still young and learning and as said he was thrown into disjointed side, if things had gone as we all hoped before this season kicked off he'd have been on loan this season at a decent championship side honing his craft

My worry is will he get many chances next season if we bring in others....  

His finishing is terrible, unless that improves he'll not be much of a striker. But he's got good feet, lots of energy,  a decent build and likes to get stuck in. Think he'd make a decent midfielder with someone next to him coaching him through the game. Probably needs a move down to further his career, I reckon he'd excel at somewhere like Burnley. 

22 minutes ago, pete0 said:

His finishing is terrible, unless that improves he'll not be much of a striker. But he's got good feet, lots of energy,  a decent build and likes to get stuck in. Think he'd make a decent midfielder with someone next to him coaching him through the game. Probably needs a move down to further his career, I reckon he'd excel at somewhere like Burnley. 

At the moment Burnley’s not a move down it’s a move up if you take the table into account.