IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2018/03/23/calvert-lewin

This is what I liked about Cenk, he was always up to learn something from his competitions in the squad. Now, it is his turn to teach something to younger ones but this is not about Cenk, this is about DCL.

To be honest, I've noticed him right after I started to follow Blues' Cenk transfer so, haven't seen him much but what I've seen so far I can say he is a promising young striker, still can get better or worse, but this attitude (if he is just not trying to be sympathetic and honest with what he said) is the right one.

Never curse on your fate or give up if you can't make it into the team at the time you think that you deserve it. Keep trying, try to be better, time will come.

I am excited to see his development in the future.

Lovely first touch and finish. Lead the line well up there.

Kenny got MoM as well. Excellent clearance off the line at one point.

Davies started, average game. Strangely quiet for him.

Lookman came on, had some real good moments but also gave away a dangerous ball in the middle off the park with a very lazy pass.

37 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Lovely first touch and finish. Lead the line well up there.

Kenny got MoM as well. Excellent clearance off the line at one point.

Davies started, average game. Strangely quiet for him.

Lookman came on, had some real good moments but also gave away a dangerous ball in the middle off the park with a very lazy pass.

If England are serious about following the Spain / Germany model and progressing the same groups of players up through the age groups ready for the senior team, we have five players the back room team will already have earmarked for the 2022 World Cup. That's such an asset, and why for the life of me I can't understand why some fans are so quick to talk down whether this lot are good enough for us. 

11 hours ago, nogs said:

If England are serious about following the Spain / Germany model and progressing the same groups of players up through the age groups ready for the senior team, we have five players the back room team will already have earmarked for the 2022 World Cup. That's such an asset, and why for the life of me I can't understand why some fans are so quick to talk down whether this lot are good enough for us. 

Totally agree. They could well be the core of our team for years ahead. Many teams have won honours by building. 

DCL reminds me of Henry with his finishing. Has the right idea but always seems a few inches away. How did Henry turn out.

Davies had a mature but unspectacular game. Almost a Barry game.

Kenny in Hibbert reincarnate with more speed. Tough and brave as they come.

Dowell needs another year learning, but can be a Sheedy with that sweet left wand.

Lookman will be special. He just needs to be hungry. He has ALL the attributes, other than hunger. He was a joy to watch against Nederlands. So good with the ball at his feet, effortless. If he had that desire to get forward off the ball, he would be a special player.

• 2 weeks later...

DCL has lots of god attributes but I think the most important one is finishing.

He just doesn’t have it in his locker imo.

Im not just basing that on the Liverpool game but watching closely this season

It really struck home when I watched him Klaasen and Rooney do one on ones in that advert (think it was a Sure thing)

I don’t think it’s a development thing - you either have it or you don’t.  He’s the inverse of Lukaku - good in the air, good first touch, hard working, likeable (!)...but he can’t put the ball in the onion bag

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

DCL will never be a decent striker he will always be wiling and hard working, but when it comes to the most important and natural ability of putting the ball in the net he hasn’t got it and that’s the reality of the situation. 

I disagree, DCL has sublime ball control, movement and reading of the game. I believe the finishing will come with time and experience. I think he will need to go on loan to get that experience tho

4 hours ago, London Blue said:

I disagree, DCL has sublime ball control, movement and reading of the game. I believe the finishing will come with time and experience. I think he will need to go on loan to get that experience tho

I do retain hopes for him. Honestly, I suspect part of the problem is having a manager who focuses exclusively on defence. He needs someone who can guide him, because he's struggling right now to finish. A manager who doesn't publicly ridicule and blame him after the game would help, too. Young players need the freedom to fail and not be terrified of failing.

9 hours ago, London Blue said:

Agree with LB here.

Finishing IS a skill that can be taught, and you can see he is working in it.

most young lads smash the ball down the centre when a chance comes. DCL is in the transition of trying to place balls.... he’s just not placing it in the right place at the moment. Give him a bit more time and we’ll see what type of player he turns into.

5 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I do retain hopes for him. Honestly, I suspect part of the problem is having a manager who focuses exclusively on defence. He needs someone who can guide him, because he's struggling right now to finish. A manager who doesn't publicly ridicule and blame him after the game would help, too. Young players need the freedom to fail and not be terrified of failing.

41 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Agree with LB here.

Finishing IS a skill that can be taught, and you can see he is working in it.

most young lads smash the ball down the centre when a chance comes. DCL is in the transition of trying to place balls.... he’s just not placing it in the right place at the moment. Give him a bit more time and we’ll see what type of player he turns into.

I'd agree with both, get him playing in a team with more confidence and I'm sure we'll see a difference. Plenty of other strikers throughout the leagues  miss their opportunity, Sterling could have put City out of sight on last Saturday. ( don't like him but he's improved his scoring this season under Pep )

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

Yeah he needs a loan out next season to a Championship side. Needs to learn to find the back of the net before he can play regular minutes for us.

If we hadn’t fucked up last summer as royally as we did he should’ve had that this season, and been coming into next season with that behind him (like Dowell), rather than being thrown in at the deep end and being expected to lead the line in a struggling side. 

4 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Correct. This year was a total fuck up. Regarding dowell do you think his game is more suited to the prem? You get more time on the ball. Like le tissier? 

Not sure really. If I was Dowell I would look at Holland, Italy or maybe even Spain. He would be brilliant on Holland with the time they get. 

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Good lad, nice to see he wants to fight for a place, I also think it's too soon to make any final decision on him, I think he does have talent, but needs a bit of fine tuning on his finishing.

8 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

Good lad, nice to see he wants to fight for a place, I also think it's too soon to make any final decision on him, I think he does have talent, but needs a bit of fine tuning on his finishing.

you speak a lot of sense there my friend.

2 hours ago, rubecula said:

you speak a lot of sense there my friend.

Ta ! 

I've been impressed with his aerial ability, he wins a lot of the upfield high balls, we just need to get someone on the end of his flick ons, something that was never going to happen under Allardyce. I'd been keen to see him and Tosun get some time together.