Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
duncanmckenzieismagic

Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

Recommended Posts

Wish he had scored the easy one at the end, regardless of the result or circumstance he needs to finish that. 
 

Pleased he is getting goals and feel he has reached the level I said he would in pre season but really want him to keep challenging himself. He has all the tools to be as good as he wants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Btay said:

Wish he had scored the easy one at the end, regardless of the result or circumstance he needs to finish that. 
 

Pleased he is getting goals and feel he has reached the level I said he would in pre season but really want him to keep challenging himself. He has all the tools to be as good as he wants.

I always think they are far harder than they look those chances. It's almost as though you stand a better chance of scoring if you scuff the effort.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love that he's out in Manhattan dressed like a bit of a lemon enjoying a break with Tom Davies!

Don't think I'd recognise either if I saw them out like that!

Good to see players wanting to spend time together during a break.

Those red sandals though 😱

IMG_20200211_231239.jpg

IMG_20200211_231428.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I always think they are far harder than they look those chances. It's almost as though you stand a better chance of scoring if you scuff the effort.  

Should absolutely be putting them away if he’s to be a 20 goal striker. To be fair - it’s the only thing I feel he really need to improve on right now. He’s having a cracker season. 22 years old and has carried so much responsibility the last few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FairWooney said:

Love that he's out in Manhattan dressed like a bit of a lemon enjoying a break with Tom Davies!

Don't think I'd recognise either if I saw them out like that!

Good to see players wanting to spend time together during a break.

Those red sandals though 😱

IMG_20200211_231239.jpg

IMG_20200211_231428.jpg

its new york best place for them to go.  no one will know them or recognize them.  plus american women :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FairWooney said:

Love that he's out in Manhattan dressed like a bit of a lemon enjoying a break with Tom Davies!

Don't think I'd recognise either if I saw them out like that!

Good to see players wanting to spend time together during a break.

Those red sandals though 😱

IMG_20200211_231239.jpg

IMG_20200211_231428.jpg

Sandals? Are they not Air Force 1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, StevO said:

Sandals? Are they not Air Force 1?

 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Depends what age you are 👍

The trainers are indeed Nike Off-White Air Force 1’s. Not my taste, but then again, not much footballers wear ever is...

I do think that Tom’s personal style is some of the most genuine and unique. I think Dom is impressed by that and mostly following suit. He buys what he sees while Tom is a bit more intuitive and clever.

I work in the arts, not too far from where these pictures were taken (SoHo - I’m a few blocks south in TriBeCa) and often encounter the monied types with no style, lol, so seeing how footballers dress feels commonplace now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nutmegwolf203 said:

 

The trainers are indeed Nike Off-White Air Force 1’s. Not my taste, but then again, not much footballers wear ever is...

I do think that Tom’s personal style is some of the most genuine and unique. I think Dom is impressed by that and mostly following suit. He buys what he sees while Tom is a bit more intuitive and clever.

I work in the arts, not too far from where these pictures were taken (SoHo - I’m a few blocks south in TriBeCa) and often encounter the monied types with no style, lol, so seeing how footballers dress feels commonplace now.

For me Tom wouldn’t look out of place in San Francisco’s hippy quarter in some of gear he wears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, FairWooney said:

Love that he's out in Manhattan dressed like a bit of a lemon enjoying a break with Tom Davies!

Don't think I'd recognise either if I saw them out like that!

Good to see players wanting to spend time together during a break.

Those red sandals though 😱

IMG_20200211_231239.jpg

IMG_20200211_231428.jpg

Son of a bitch, I was just at that station a few days ago. Would've been a pleasant surprise to run into those two on the street

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

For me Tom wouldn’t look out of place in San Francisco’s hippy quarter in some of gear he wears. 

If only San Francisco had any of that anymore! Not sure when you last visited but it’s all tech bros now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nutmegwolf203 said:

If only San Francisco had any of that anymore! Not sure when you last visited but it’s all tech bros now.

It was 6 years ago you’re right it is a very Hi tech city, but there’s still that small area were Hippies and Gays frequent, which is very much like how it must have been in decades ago I assumed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Been immense today, has to be in the next England squad. Pure class.

5 goals in his last 6. Should have been 6 in 6 after today. 

10 in his last 13 league outings... Should be 11.

That's an incredible record. He keeps on scoring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The goal he scored was awesome........  I mean that.  That goal is the goal of the striker I've been crying out for.  Happy to do the hard yards,  marched a very good Harry Maguire today.... Maguire sought him out at the end to pretty much tell him do. I do like Maguire - class act. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aidan said:

More to the point we have a striker that is now not only scoring goals, but winning areal duels, holding up the ball, leaving a bit on defenders, working hard for the team and linking up well. His attitude is fantastic. 

I agree with that 100%, and I would like to give a lot of praise to Big Dunc for bringing it out of him when Silva was sacked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's he worth in this market??? 

He's effectively cemented a selection in Southgates squad with that performance today.

That was possibly the best all round centre forwards display we've had since Saha in 2011 vs Blackpool. 

He doesn't have Sahas finishing prowess but he showed his footballing ability, intelligence and touch out there.  More impressively he capped it off with his usual lung busting work rate. 

Got fans from the likes of Chelsea and man United wanting their club to sign him.

Good on the lad, he's worked hard for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The goal he scored was awesome........  I mean that.  That goal is the goal of the striker I've been crying out for.  Happy to do the hard yards,  marched a very good Harry Maguire today.... Maguire sought him out at the end to pretty much tell him do. I do like Maguire - class act. 

Maguire was a cunt all game. I hope someone flattens him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

He’s our 20 goals a season striker we’ve all be wanting, time for the doubters to standup and accept they were wrong.

How good is he going to get?

He will put on a few more pounds of muscle in the next year, he's fast... brave, works his plums off and he is humble. 

For ages I was arguing that hard work and goalscoring aren't mutually exclusive. He's the proof.  Defenders nightmare. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aidan said:

More to the point we have a striker that is now not only scoring goals, but winning areal duels, holding up the ball, leaving a bit on defenders, working hard for the team and linking up well. His attitude is fantastic. 

Anyone who's been on this site knows how much I value that in a striker more than goal output.

It led to hours of arguments.  But it's true - forward play is far more than finishing...  if it wasn't then Liverpool would be playing Sturridge instead of Firminho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Anyone who's been on this site knows how much I value that in a striker more than goal output.

It led to hours of arguments.  But it's true - forward play is far more than finishing...  if it wasn't then Liverpool would be playing Sturridge instead of Firminho. 

I never noticed haf 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

How good is he going to get?

He will put on a few more pounds of muscle in the next year, he's fast... brave, works his plums off and he is humble. 

For ages I was arguing that hard work and goalscoring aren't mutually exclusive. He's the proof.  Defenders nightmare. 

 

He doesn’t need more muscle, and it’s be a detriment to his work rate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Anyone who's been on this site knows how much I value that in a striker more than goal output.

It led to hours of arguments.  But it's true - forward play is far more than finishing...  if it wasn't then Liverpool would be playing Sturridge instead of Firminho. 

He is a great forward, but he’s not a striker. There’s still a big difference between the two ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Matt said:

He is a great forward, but he’s not a striker. There’s still a big difference between the two ;) 

4 goals off golden boot..... Will probably end up with 18 goals..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've no problem in holding my hands up and saying I didn't think the lad would make it and I'm chuffed to bits that I was wrong about him.

22 seems to be the magic number when boys become men in the Premier League and that's why I will give Tom Davies a bit of slack. It's also no surprise that Mason Holgate is the same age and also blossoming as a regular starter.

Edit. I used to always call him shite and then he'd go and score. I've been calling him shite every week. It's working great 🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I've no problem in holding my hands up and saying I didn't think the lad would make it and I'm chuffed to bits that I was wrong about him.

22 seems to be the magic number when boys become men in the Premier League and that's why I will give Tom Davies a bit of slack. It's also no surprise that Mason Holgate is the same age and also blossoming as a regular starter.

Edit. I used to always call him shite and then he'd go and score. I've been calling him shite every week. It's working great 🤣🤣

Fucking dreadful player hope he never starts again 🤞🤞🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

4 goals off golden boot..... Will probably end up with 18 goals..

Yeah, but if he was a striker he could well have 10 more. I’m actually agreeing with you, he’s the complete forward. Calling him a striker isn’t doing him justice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hafnia said:

What's he worth in this market??? 

He's effectively cemented a selection in Southgates squad with that performance today.

That was possibly the best all round centre forwards display we've had since Saha in 2011 vs Blackpool. 

He doesn't have Sahas finishing prowess but he showed his footballing ability, intelligence and touch out there.  More impressively he capped it off with his usual lung busting work rate. 

Got fans from the likes of Chelsea and man United wanting their club to sign him.

Good on the lad, he's worked hard for this. 

I pushed as hard as anyone for DCL to be given a chance at the start of season and it’s not to get some acknowledgment from others now.

More to get a bit of understanding for when I say I want him to get even better.
 

Glad he scored today and it rewards his hard work but I really want to see him work on his body shape when finishing. He is always looking to turn and get in behind, definitely has the pace for it as we’ve seen. 
 

Needs to become more natural at opening his body up and side footing/passing it in. His 1v1 today he went with the outside of the foot and got little power - once he adds a little bit more composure and finesse with shooting/dribbling he will have every attribute he needs.

Absolutely delighted for him and the seasons he’s having but I don’t want him to settle for this when his ceiling is still so much higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Matt said:

Yeah, but if he was a striker he could well have 10 more. I’m actually agreeing with you, he’s the complete forward. Calling him a striker isn’t doing him justice 

I see your point... Sharpe wasn't a natural finisher and DCL isn't as good as him in that area. He needs to work on his ball striking. 

I think my whole argument when we had Rom was that he presented a false economy... his personal goal record belied the performance of the team. It was great to have a player who could slot when 1 on 1 with the keeper or finished a loose ball in the box but many were confusing goals with performances.

I said at the time I would sacrifice Rom for a player who scores half as mulch but offers twice as much in the other areas..... looks like with got a player who scores 1/3 less and offers 3 x more. Rom would be one of the best options out there for a prem club like Man City who could afford to have an expensive bench option to come on with 20 minutes to break a deadlock against tired defenders. 

At the moment there are few players I would swap DCL with... he is making a name for himself and fully deserves all the plaudits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Sir McGiven said:

he keeps suprising me actually. not totally but it's good to see he is improving than I was expecting, still can't see him being a top team striker though.

Most people didn't see Firminho as being a top team striker....  I personally wanted him above most other strikers in the league. 

Doesn't score many goals but the team do as a result of his all round game.

Ironically Liverpool have lost their last 3 games as a result of teams playing bigger strikers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Calvert Lewin nominated for player of the month. Honestly if he doesn't get it then it's a sham. No player has been in better form since the start if the year than him.

Surprised it’s only for the month. The last 3 he’s been the best forward around. Won’t end up in any team of the year though, but that’s good for all concerned 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt said:

Surprised it’s only for the month. The last 3 he’s been the best forward around. Won’t end up in any team of the year though, but that’s good for all concerned 

Yep. The less attention drawn to our players the better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Yep. The less attention drawn to our players the better

I agree with that sentiment totally, do you think we are still a selling club or do you think them days are over, I know we don’t want it tested but I would like to think that players with 3 years or more of their contract left we would say not for sale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 01/03/2020 at 16:30, TallPaul1878 said:

I've no problem in holding my hands up and saying I didn't think the lad would make it and I'm chuffed to bits that I was wrong about him.

For once, I'm going to claim I was right. :)

On 09/04/2019 at 23:59, Cornish Steve said:

My late stepdad used to say of ivy that the first year it sleeps, the second year is creeps, and the third year it leaps. I get the feeling we're in the second year for DC-L and look forward to him leaping ahead next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the question was, who would we rather have, Abraham or DCL? 
Not doing this to pick a fight though, more because I said Abraham was on a purple patch at the time and DCL was on a dry patch. Short term and long term are two very different visions.

Now we have watched them both for most of a season. Have people changed their mind? Has it become a closer race? Or do some still prefer Abraham?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shukes said:

So the question was, who would we rather have, Abraham or DCL? 
Not doing this to pick a fight though, more because I said Abraham was on a purple patch at the time and DCL was on a dry patch. Short term and long term are two very different visions.

Now we have watched them both for most of a season. Have people changed their mind? Has it become a closer race? Or do some still prefer Abraham?

DCL by a stretch.  He isn't the best finisher but ive said since day one he is so well rounded and his athleticism is a huge plus. 

Like I keep saying about Liverpool with Firminho... some centre forwards are measured more than just goals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shukes said:

So the question was, who would we rather have, Abraham or DCL? 
Not doing this to pick a fight though, more because I said Abraham was on a purple patch at the time and DCL was on a dry patch. Short term and long term are two very different visions.

Now we have watched them both for most of a season. Have people changed their mind? Has it become a closer race? Or do some still prefer Abraham?

I've never rated Abraham. His purple patch surprised me tbh - he's very clumsy and doesn't have a lot of ability in my opinion. He won't be spearheading their attack for much longer, whereas DCL will be for us (or another top club if we can't satisfy his ambitions in the long-term).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Shukes said:

So the question was, who would we rather have, Abraham or DCL? 
Not doing this to pick a fight though, more because I said Abraham was on a purple patch at the time and DCL was on a dry patch. Short term and long term are two very different visions.

Now we have watched them both for most of a season. Have people changed their mind? Has it become a closer race? Or do some still prefer Abraham?

Calvert Lewin by a country mile. Even when he was having a lean spell in front of goal his contribution to the game was pronounced and his harassment of defenders allowed others into the game to get the goals.

Abraham just doesn't do that. He's a goal poacher rather than an all round forward imo. It's going to be a great game against Chelsea because it will give Dom the chance to really cement his place as England's best choice of forward since the injuries to Kane and Rashford 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Palfy said:

I agree with that sentiment totally, do you think we are still a selling club or do you think them days are over, I know we don’t want it tested but I would like to think that players with 3 years or more of their contract left we would say not for sale. 

All clubs are selling clubs if the right offer comes in. If Real Madrid say they want Dom and make an offer we can't refuse then he will be sold.

What I would say is that having a manager like Ancelotti is a big draw for players. Did Calvert Lewin and Holgate ever in their wildest dreams think they would be playing under a world class manager such as Ancelotti? That's a big reason for them to stay put.

Additionally I notice that Holgate is represented by an organisation including Rio Ferdinand. It is becoming a more common thing that ex-pro players are getting involved in the development of young talent. When you look at players who have left Everton such as Stones, Barkley and as far back as Rooney can you say that was really the best decision? Big clubs sniff around our players because they hope to buy them at age 22 when they are worth maybe £30m rather than wait for them to fully develop and be valued at £100m age 26.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...