Sign in to follow this  
duncanmckenzieismagic

Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

4 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

All clubs are selling clubs if the right offer comes in. If Real Madrid say they want Dom and make an offer we can't refuse then he will be sold.

What I would say is that having a manager like Ancelotti is a big draw for players. Did Calvert Lewin and Holgate ever in their wildest dreams think they would be playing under a world class manager such as Ancelotti? That's a big reason for them to stay put.

Additionally I notice that Holgate is represented by an organisation including Rio Ferdinand. It is becoming a more common thing that ex-pro players are getting involved in the development of young talent. When you look at players who have left Everton such as Stones, Barkley and as far back as Rooney can you say that was really the best decision? Big clubs sniff around our players because they hope to buy them at age 22 when they are worth maybe £30m rather than wait for them to fully develop and be valued at £100m age 26.

True 

We’ve tied down 3 £70-100m players in the last several months. Not that that’s any interest to me, I’m more excited that we’ve kept some of the best talent around. if we need to sell, well have money to replace them. But I’ve no doubt that these lads are hear for the long term, and with Digne, Pickford and some others, we’ve really got something to be excited about for first time since Stones, Barkley and Lukaku. This time however, I’ve got a giddy stomach about it all rather that it just be rational logic. 

31 minutes ago, Matt said:

We’ve tied down 3 £70-100m players in the last several months. Not that that’s any interest to me, I’m more excited that we’ve kept some of the best talent around. if we need to sell, well have money to replace them. But I’ve no doubt that these lads are hear for the long term, and with Digne, Pickford and some others, we’ve really got something to be excited about for first time since Stones, Barkley and Lukaku. This time however, I’ve got a giddy stomach about it all rather that it just be rational logic. 

I’m with you Matt. If you can add a centre half, another midfielder and maybe a wide player with a left foot we could really be competing. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I’m with you Matt. If you can add a centre half, another midfielder and maybe a wide player with a left foot we could really be competing. 

Make that 3 midfielders

He was rubbish today. Not sure if him and Mason signing a deal made some difference, but they were both terrible today.

Saying that, did the rest of the team sign contracts as well!

On 07/03/2020 at 07:44, Shukes said:

So the question was, who would we rather have, Abraham or DCL? 
Not doing this to pick a fight though, more because I said Abraham was on a purple patch at the time and DCL was on a dry patch. Short term and long term are two very different visions.

Now we have watched them both for most of a season. Have people changed their mind? Has it become a closer race? Or do some still prefer Abraham?

I would still have Abraham. DCL is still the same player he was early season but now he has a partner, which happens to be our best player. 

You can never fault DCLs attitude, it's top class, but he isn't a very technical player and he doesn't read the game particularly well. Abraham is no Lewandowski but he is a better finisher, he has a better touch and his link up play on the ground is much better. 

If you want to pump balls long and win second balls DCL is your man. Basically a Shane Long mould of a striker and dont forget he scored 20 in a season one year. He wouldn't be at this level if it wasn't for his work rate and athleticism. 

If you want to play through a lone striker, I'd definitely have Abraham. Everything about him is just more refined.

Even if the only midfielder we signed in the summer (I think we need more than one personally) was in the Bruno Fernandes mould that would make such a massive difference for us. We've been crying out for that for god knows how long. Gylfi was supposed to be it but he's been too busy preparing for his role in The Invisible Man that's just come out.

21 hours ago, StevO said:

Spoke too soon 😂

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I still love reading about how wrong I was. The lad has titles in his future. 

He’s still got ample room for improvement though. Young enough to reach what ever level he wants. We and he need to keep challenging him to push on. Absolutely has the potential to be an elite striker in my opinion

10 hours ago, Btay said:

He’s still got ample room for improvement though. Young enough to reach what ever level he wants. We and he need to keep challenging him to push on. Absolutely has the potential to be an elite striker in my opinion

I’m not worried about us challenging him, one thing I’ve admired from the start is his work rate; you don’t get that without serious self-motivation 

13 hours ago, Btay said:

We also have to show him that he doesn't have to move to keep challenging himself. It's not a one way street of him showing us things.