IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, he's one for the future I think.

Mirallas should have defo started today. He's a derby type plyer.

I agree with you both. If you want to play two up top then yeh, but wide or in that half and half role like he was today then there is no way he should be starting ahead of Mirallas.

Which makes it all the more baffling why he is keeping Mirallas out of the side

Basically, somehow, Mirrales has given successive managers a reason not to play him. The 2 managers are chalk n cheese...I'm afraid there has to be something in that. Might be a trust thing. Dunno.

Managers don't seem to rate Mirralas for some reason.

Basically, somehow, Mirrales has given successive managers a reason not to play him. The 2 managers are chalk n cheese...I'm afraid there has to be something in that. Might be a trust thing. Dunno.

I just think managers are worried that fans can't spell his name right so they leave him on the bench to avoid tension.

Every 4th game he comes good. The first one is is completely missing, other 2 he's ok but nothing special, and 4th he looks amazing. Just think the managers want more consistency.

Every 4th game he comes good. The first one is is completely missing, other 2 he's ok but nothing special, and 4th he looks amazing. Just think the managers want more consistency.

What consistency is he getting from DCL? Consistently not offering much beyond effort?

I'm just not seeing why he should be in the side at the moment. I don't watch him and think "there's a player to get excited about". I've been watching a player that gives his all but will ultimately lose the ball because he doesn't have the skill set or strength to play that position.

Now, that's not his fault, and I'm not blaming him for it, just making the observation.

There were a few occasions yesterday when he turned out of a crowded box and came away with the ball.

He did ok.

He definitely shows signs of potential.

Has pace.

Can take a player on, as demonstrated yesterday.

He can also finish.

The manager can see all of this and with the effort he puts in, has decided he is a more justifiable player than Mirralas.

That said, a derby is not the right place to breed potential and Mirralas would have brought experience.

I really respect Koeman's willingness to give young players a chance. What's the point of having the best U23 side in the country if it doesn't feed the first team? He has clearly seen something he likes in DCL and is giving him every chance. The hard thing for fans is you have to take the rough with the smooth with a policy of blooding youth. With hindsight, it didn't work yesterday, the kids weren't up to the challenge at Anfield and the set up didn't help either. But look, Williams, Jags, Baines and Barry aren't going to win us derbies in the future. Davies, DCL, Holgate, Pennington, Lookman, Kenny might. If they can learn from the experience and improve, there's a positive to take from an otherwise shoddy performance.

In the short term tho I'd say it's time to bench DCL for a few games and give Lookman another go.

What consistency is he getting from DCL? Consistently not offering much beyond effort?

I'm just not seeing why he should be in the side at the moment. I don't watch him and think "there's a player to get excited about". I've been watching a player that gives his all but will ultimately lose the ball because he doesn't have the skill set or strength to play that position.

Now, that's not his fault, and I'm not blaming him for it, just making the observation.

i think he's frustrated and knows this is a "trial year" so to speak with a lot of the players, he seen what kev can do and isn't too impressed. put lookman in and he was alright for a couple and then found out he needed a little more work to be ready. he hasn't seen DCL yet. put him in and had a great game and goal just like lookman. thought i will stick with that. i fully expect after the downer of last match to see Mirallas or Lookman or someone else in there against united.

he's just getting acquanted with the new signings since DCL was injured.

I really respect Koeman's willingness to give young players a chance. What's the point of having the best U23 side in the country if it doesn't feed the first team? He has clearly seen something he likes in DCL and is giving him every chance. The hard thing for fans is you have to take the rough with the smooth with a policy of blooding youth. With hindsight, it didn't work yesterday, the kids weren't up to the challenge at Anfield and the set up didn't help either. But look, Williams, Jags, Baines and Barry aren't going to win us derbies in the future. Davies, DCL, Holgate, Pennington, Lookman, Kenny might. If they can learn from the experience and improve, there's a positive to take from an otherwise shoddy performance.

In the short term tho I'd say it's time to bench DCL for a few games and give Lookman another go.

It's definitely a good thing that he gives our academy a chance but at the same time he owes it to the players to make sure he gives them the opportunity to perform.

DCL isn't a winger and playing Pennington in an unfamiliar system against one of the most attacking teams in the league and away from home isn't the way to do it. I don't think that is an unfair comment to make and it's not after timing as I mentioned it in the Funes Mori thread (I think it was that one).

It's definitely a good thing that he gives our academy a chance but at the same time he owes it to the players to make sure he gives them the opportunity to perform.

DCL isn't a winger and playing Pennington in an unfamiliar system against one of the most attacking teams in the league and away from home isn't the way to do it. I don't think that is an unfair comment to make and it's not after timing as I mentioned it in the Funes Mori thread (I think it was that one).

I agree completely. I'm not a fan of 3-4-3, just because Chelsea have made it work I don't see why we have to copy. The team he put out at Anfield just looked imbalanced all over