IGNORED

Steve Walsh (Director of football)

8 hours ago, Aidan Lewis said:

Morgan, too. He's not having a great season but we all know what he has to offer.

As for Pickford he's had a couple of great saves, but he's put us under pressure a LOT from his distribution. He's got a lot to learn.

Agreed. Morgan is a brilliant player on his day.

4 hours ago, hafnia said:

I just don't get his signing.... if we got him for £35m then ok... £45m and not having an idea on how to use him?

To be clear siggy is koemans man... he wanted him in Jan. 

Ooooooh what's this? Bit of Koeman-esque talk.

He's growing on you, isn't he?

He is though, isn't he?

He bloody is....isnt he?!!!

3 hours ago, Lowensda said:

Eyes should be on him aswell. Seems to have avoided most criticisms so far but ultimately he IS responsible for the transfers and playing staff.

I'd imagine the bulk to be on the manager's head so far. 

Koeman : Williams, Gana, Bolasie, Schneiderlin, Sigurdssen, Klassen, and Cuco (out: Barry, Deulofeu, and potentially Barkley and Mirallas)

Walsh: Pickford, Sandro, Vlasic, Keane, Gana (wanted him over Kante when at Leicester), Onyekuru (possibly Unsworth or someone else from the u23s) . 

Other: Rooney

Unsworth: Holgate, DCL, Lookman 

Schneiderlin, Gana, Cuco and Keane aren't good enough for Everton. I've never feared relegation but if we play that lot every week I will be shitting it. Question marks on a few (underlined). Williams had a decent first season but we should have upgraded again this summer.

Worst piece of business has to be letting Barry go. It's very worrying we have a manager that sees Gana and Schneiderlin as the better pair. Said it before but Koeman has no idea of a Midfielders role. Martinez's Everton smashed them because he had Wanyama doing the headless chicken at Soton. Easiest win we had all season. Gana effectively does this role at Everton, leaves huge gaps for the opposition to expose. 

Schneiderlin flattered to deceive when he first arrived, overall he is very underwhelming. Gibson when fit done a better job. We should have tried to buy Fellaini back. 

£30m for a centre half in his last year of his contract is also ludicrous when we already had better,  Holgate. 

4 hours ago, Lowensda said:

Eyes should be on him aswell. Seems to have avoided most criticisms so far but ultimately he IS responsible for the transfers and playing staff.

I agree, Glad I'm not the only one. This is why I've never liked the sporting director model.  Too many moving parts.  I prefer how it was with moyes and Martinez where all the praise/blame (transfers and management) are solely on the manager.

I think we need to understand how this works.

My understanding is Walsh is responsible for getting players bought and sold as per instruction of koeman. 

He identifies talent and alerts the manager to them. 

I can't imagine koeman being told which players he is getting and that's that. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

I think we need to understand how this works.

My understanding is Walsh is responsible for getting players bought and sold as per instruction of koeman. 

He identifies talent and alerts the manager to them. 

I can't imagine koeman being told which players he is getting and that's that. 

not how RK has described it.  he tells him the types of players he wants (and i'm sure on occaision the exact player) and walsh job is to find them and bring them in.  Needless to say, i don't like the system.

25 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

not how RK has described it.  he tells him the types of players he wants (and i'm sure on occaision the exact player) and walsh job is to find them and bring them in.  Needless to say, i don't like the system.

Not for me.... how the heck did cuco find his way into right back for us?

Are you saying Walsh said "hey Ronald....  ignore john joe kenny why not sign southamptons 3rd choice right back"

I think koeman has a lot of say. 

you're going to believe whatever you want to believe regardless of fact anyways so i don't know why it matters.  i was just stating what ronald has said about it.  i have seen similar comments from walsh, Ronald identifies the areas we need improvement and Walsh job to get players in that fulfill that need.  neither of them have ever said Ronald says specific players and Walsh gets them, otherwise we woudn't need walsh at all, RK would just tell Bill and he would just negotiate and get them signed.

30 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

you're going to believe whatever you want to believe regardless of fact anyways so i don't know why it matters.  i was just stating what ronald has said about it.  i have seen similar comments from walsh, Ronald identifies the areas we need improvement and Walsh job to get players in that fulfill that need.  neither of them have ever said Ronald says specific players and Walsh gets them, otherwise we woudn't need walsh at all, RK would just tell Bill and he would just negotiate and get them signed.

That's why I said we need to understand how it works...... because we don't know. 

So what are these facts you speak of?

I'm saying i would be incredibly surprised if Walsh bought a player in like cuco. Wouldnt you??? He's been signed for a koeman side twice now. 

Which if I'm correct in what I assume then koeman has picked the player which tells me he has a role in selecting players. 

When koeman tried to offload niasse was this walshes choice? By all accounts it was koeman who made the choice. Niasse was clear in that. 

6 minutes ago, hafnia said:

That's why I said we need to understand how it works...... because we don't know. 

So what are these facts you speak of?

I'm saying i would be incredibly surprised if Walsh bought a player in like cuco. Wouldnt you??? He's been signed for a koeman side twice now. 

Which if I'm correct in what I assume then koeman has picked the player which tells me he has a role in selecting players. 

When koeman tried to offload niasse was this walshes choice? By all accounts it was koeman who made the choice. Niasse was clear in that. 

not at all surprised.  knew RK had worked with him, was cheap (free) and available and he was busy trying to nail down the more important targets.  he was pretty much a gimme (in golfing terms).  

niasse its exactly what i said, he tells what what he needs and doesn't.  don't need oumar, need a striker that does x y z.  tried to offload oumar, couldn't and didn't sign a new one.  again ron doesn't say "buy batshuayi" he says i need a big target man hence the costa giroud links.  otherwise if RK is telling him every single player to buy that negates walsh's job.  might as well not have walsh if ron identifies all the signings and tell them to sign.  

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

not at all surprised.  knew RK had worked with him, was cheap (free) and available and he was busy trying to nail down the more important targets.  he was pretty much a gimme (in golfing terms).  

niasse its exactly what i said, he tells what what he needs and doesn't.  don't need oumar, need a striker that does x y z.  tried to offload oumar, couldn't and didn't sign a new one.  again ron doesn't say "buy batshuayi" he says i need a big target man hence the costa giroud links.  otherwise if RK is telling him every single player to buy that negates walsh's job.  might as well not have walsh if ron identifies all the signings and tell them to sign.  

Nonsense mate.

If koeman supposedly stated that he needed a big target man which led to niasse being forced out then why did he go and get sandro and Rooney?

2 players of similar build and forward play to niasse. 

Koeman decided niasse was out - simple as that. Not Walsh.... which leaves a big grey area as to what Walsh does versus what koeman wants. 

14 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Nonsense mate.

If koeman supposedly stated that he needed a big target man which led to niasse being forced out then why did he go and get sandro and Rooney?

2 players of similar build and forward play to niasse. 

Koeman decided niasse was out - simple as that. Not Walsh.... which leaves a big grey area as to what Walsh does versus what koeman wants. 

Sandro is a walsh signing, rooney is a moshiri signing (brand, marketing, etc.).

no argument koeman wanted niasse out, just he didn't specify who he wanted in, i think he just tells him the types of players he wants.  at least i hope.  because if koeman is picking out players and telling who to sign, just fire walsh already cause koeman is already doing his job.  makes no sense to have walsh there if that is the case.

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Sandro is a walsh signing, rooney is a moshiri signing (brand, marketing, etc.).

no argument koeman wanted niasse out, just he didn't specify who he wanted in, i think he just tells him the types of players he wants.  at least i hope.  because if koeman is picking out players and telling who to sign, just fire walsh already cause koeman is already doing his job.  makes no sense to have walsh there if that is the case.

Koeman was banging on about Rooney for ages so that is also a Koeman signing. 

The system works really well at Southampton but the difference is they choose a manager that suits what they have and what they want, a bit like Swansea did before Laudrup got the sack. Our philosophy as a club is X, we will buy players that suit X and hire a manager that knows how to get the best out of X. 

With that in mind, we know walsh wants to play high energy, organised, counter attacking football, so does Unsy. We have some players that don't suit that and we have some that do. I think that ultimately that's where the conflict lied. Walsh bringing in high energy (Gana, Sandro, Vlasic, DCL), Koeman bringing total football (Cuco, Keane, Williams, Siggy, Rooney, Schneiderlin, Klaasen). 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Cuco being included in the total football list made me giggle. Thanks for that light relief, Bailey :lol: 

😂 

As in he can (supposedly) play in different positions and  (supposedly) is good going forward. I'm using Koeman's interpretation lol

Walsh doesn't pick the team or the tactics, he has zero input on the training ground and has no involvement in the motivation of the players.

All of that falls firmly at Koemans door. Did anyone honestly expect him to come here and immediately buy 3 Kantes and a Mahrez for a portion of chips and a can of dandelion and burdock?