IGNORED

Steve Walsh (Director of football)

Don't know what the point of him is tbh. I thought he was meant to be good at finding rough diamonds, good unknown players like Vardy and Mahrez etc. Instead if he had his way we'd have blown 55m on Bolasie and Sissoko.

Edited by Eric

Don't know what the point of him is tbh. I thought he was meant to be good at finding rough diamonds, good unknown players like Vardy and Mahrez etc. Instead if he had his way we'd have blown 55m on Bolasie and Sissoko.

Take your point on Sissoko (unless he sets the league on fire at Spurs, unlikely); jury out on Bolasie for me.

And we did get Gana who's looking like a steal.

Let's get this right, Walsh gets poached to watch players and recommend them? That's it?

I guess he is like the boss of scouts. Koeman has said that he doesn't really get involved with transfers so I would guess that Koeman says I want this type of player and then Walsh ' s job is to find that type of player and identifying the right type of price for the board to then negotiate.

Can people get perspective on this.... he was at Leicester 6 weeks ago. It is highly highly likely that he had a disclosed dossier on players he had followed and recommended. They would have stayed with the club and their targets discussed on walshes departure with an agreement as to who we can't go in for.

Mendy , Musa and Slimani will have been scouted and recommended by walsh. Unless of course Leicester let him take him little note book and blew £60m on guesses.

Seriously....

Edited by Hafnia

Verdict - SACK

Can I ask... do you for one second think that Leicester never got priority over Walsh scouted recommendations from the last few years?

Or do you think they just said "oops, all those years of Leicester paid activity are in Evertons hands and walsh is gonna get Everton the best players"

What happens is all scouting activity is logged via reports. They have databases and emails etc are encrypted. Any highly recommended targets will have been retained by Leicester as part of his release.

The likes of gueye, perez martinez etc would have had to be approved as targets we could go for once Leicester had theirs selected and secured.

It's a multi million pound industry and clubs are going to protect their IP.

Sack him? Are you on here to WUM?

Edited by Hafnia

Can people get perspective on this.... he was at Leicester 6 weeks ago. It is highly highly likely that he had a disclosed dossier on players he had followed and recommended. They would have stayed with the club and their targets discussed on walshes departure with an agreement as to who we can't go in for.

Mendy , Musa and Slimani will have been scouted and recommended by walsh. Unless of course Leicester let him take him little note book and blew £60m on guesses.

Seriously....

You need to explain 'perspective' I think.

While your at it, can you also explain 'rationale'.

Probably wasting your time though.

Can I ask... do you for one second think that Leicester never got priority over Walsh scouted recommendations from the last few years?

Or do you think they just said "oops, all those years of Leicester paid activity are in Evertons hands and walsh is gonna get Everton the best players"

What happens is all scouting activity is logged via reports. They have databases and emails etc are encrypted. Any highly recommended targets will have been retained by Leicester as part of his release.

The likes of gueye, perez martinez etc would have had to be approved as targets we could go for once Leicester had theirs selected and secured.

It's a multi million pound industry and clubs are going to protect their IP.

Sack him? Are you on here to WUM?

I think we had a poor window and questions need to be asked of him. It's not like any of our targets required a great deal of scouting, Sissoko, Bolasie, Williams, Gueye and Valencia were all already Premier League players. They were known quantities. I thought this bloke was meant to be finding hidden gems, the likes of Vardy and Mahrez.

I think we had a poor window and questions need to be asked of him. It's not like any of our targets required a great deal of scouting, Sissoko, Bolasie, Williams, Gueye and Valencia were all already Premier League players. They were known quantities. I thought this bloke was meant to be finding hidden gems, the likes of Vardy and Mahrez.

We had a poor window if we don't improve on 11th place in the league come May. Sack him after 6 weeks? You must be a right cunt of a boss.

Whereas look at the players leicester signed.... relative unknowns. These will have been walshes picks.

I actually think we got Gueye because leicester passed on him and went for mendy...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3721672/Leicester-City-hoping-N-Golo-Kante-void-Nampalys-Mendy-emerging-Daniel-Amartey.html

This article clearly illustrates that walshes work in this window is to the benefit of Leicester.

I'm sure there is something about scouted players and how Walsh is able to go about signing them in the terms agreed between Everton and Leicester. Hopefully the grace period was just for the summer window.

Regardless, I'm somewhat happy we didn't overdo it in the transfer market this summer. Continuity is important for morale. And, we made adjustments where we most clearly needed them. We didn't address every need, but we were working on a short window with limitations no doubt put in place because of the deal between Everton and Leicester. I fully expect us to address any glaring holes that develop throughout the first half of the season in January. I have faith that the club will do its best to address those needs without compromising itself financially. Splashing the cash doesn't guarantee us points.

I suppose I'm in the minority, but securing financial stability for the future in an unstable economic environment sounds good to me. And, I would rather see the squad developed rather than revolutionized. By that, I mean change should take place gradually, as the club assesses and seeks to address the squad's weaknesses and build on its strengths.

This requires a few things, none of which can occur overnight. First, Walsh and Koeman need to develop a relationship that allows effective communication from Koeman about what's lacking in the squad when it comes to the type of game he wants to play. This depends upon Koeman getting time to impress his style on the squad, find out who is capable of playing within it, and figure out the tweaks he desires. Walsh will then need to do his best to understand what Koeman is looking for, locate and scout possible players and then sell them to the boss (this is a relationship that will have to grow over time). Then, there's the matter of negotiating deals, not being held to ransom and lining up backup options when the players Walsh/Koeman want are found to be too difficult to attain. All of this is important to make sure that every £ the club spends is to its benefit. This means avoiding the "we bought a class player but they're a square peg in a round hole" money-sucking phenomenon and making sure we don't fall into bringing in players who are a bad fit not just tactically but professionally as well. It's not sexy, but it's stable and effective. I know we feel like we need instant gratification, but I'd rather work with the understanding that we are building for a stable future where we look to improve bit by bit every season without mortgaging our future on a whim.

I'm surprised at all the negativity. One or two comments, quite honestly, are ridiculous. In six weeks we expect him to bring in the next undiscovered gem and fire him for not doing so? Might that be one of the two youngsters? Might it be Valencia? Some people's expectations are crazy.

His job is to identify the right targets. That's a tough job. He should not be involved in negotiations since that requires an entirely different skill set. We need a separate negotiation team because the current ones appear to be amateurs. I'd go as far as to suggest outsourcing to a company that negotiates professionally on behalf of its clients. So many clubs overspend on players.

Sorry if my iPhone kant spill.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Why are people assuming that our 'negotiators' are to blame?

We were attempting to attract top players to sign for a mediocre mid table team, that was always going to be a hard sell

I think some people need to have a reality check, we have to walk before we can run

I agree. Other on here think we should have paid over the odds and offered insanely high wages to get James, Witsel, Mata, Hart, and just hope the English galacticos play well. Terrible strategy in my opinion.

Walsh and RK know what they are doing.

We were attempting to attract top players to sign for a mediocre mid table team, that was always going to be a hard sell

I think some people need to have a reality check, we have to walk before we can run

In another thread, I mentioned that we completely wasted the leverage we had in this window. City really wanted John stones, and they have clout. If we really wanted a sought after player, we could have made the Stones sale contingent on getting that player. Negotiation is all about leverage, taking advantage of any power you have to get what you want. What did we do? We sold stones for cash - a straight over the counter sale. What a waste of leverage.

This is why I claim our negotiators are amateurs. The evidence is there for all to see.

In another thread, I mentioned that we completely wasted the leverage we had in this window. City really wanted John stones, and they have clout. If we really wanted a sought after player, we could have made the Stones sale contingent on getting that player. Negotiation is all about leverage, taking advantage of any power you have to get what you want. What did we do? We sold stones for cash - a straight over the counter sale. What a waste of leverage.

This is why I claim our negotiators are amateurs. The evidence is there for all to see.

Who did you want us to sign from Man City, bearing in mind Koeman wasn't interested in Hart or Bony?

Im sure if we wanted a city player then they would have been part of the deal. We clearly weren't interested in Bony as he went for loan and an £8m buy option.

Not sure who we could have obtained from them on an affordable wage.

I'm sure there is something about scouted players and how Walsh is able to go about signing them in the terms agreed between Everton and Leicester. Hopefully the grace period was just for the summer window.

Regardless, I'm somewhat happy we didn't overdo it in the transfer market this summer. Continuity is important for morale. And, we made adjustments where we most clearly needed them. We didn't address every need, but we were working on a short window with limitations no doubt put in place because of the deal between Everton and Leicester. I fully expect us to address any glaring holes that develop throughout the first half of the season in January. I have faith that the club will do its best to address those needs without compromising itself financially. Splashing the cash doesn't guarantee us points.

I suppose I'm in the minority, but securing financial stability for the future in an unstable economic environment sounds good to me. And, I would rather see the squad developed rather than revolutionized. By that, I mean change should take place gradually, as the club assesses and seeks to address the squad's weaknesses and build on its strengths.

This requires a few things, none of which can occur overnight. First, Walsh and Koeman need to develop a relationship that allows effective communication from Koeman about what's lacking in the squad when it comes to the type of game he wants to play. This depends upon Koeman getting time to impress his style on the squad, find out who is capable of playing within it, and figure out the tweaks he desires. Walsh will then need to do his best to understand what Koeman is looking for, locate and scout possible players and then sell them to the boss (this is a relationship that will have to grow over time). Then, there's the matter of negotiating deals, not being held to ransom and lining up backup options when the players Walsh/Koeman want are found to be too difficult to attain. All of this is important to make sure that every £ the club spends is to its benefit. This means avoiding the "we bought a class player but they're a square peg in a round hole" money-sucking phenomenon and making sure we don't fall into bringing in players who are a bad fit not just tactically but professionally as well. It's not sexy, but it's stable and effective. I know we feel like we need instant gratification, but I'd rather work with the understanding that we are building for a stable future where we look to improve bit by bit every season without mortgaging our future on a whim.

Good post

I wouldn't necessarily blame them for not getting in their main "statement" targets but they should have also been working on viable back ups as well which is the problem I have with this window.

Judging by Sissoko's comments it also sounds as though they were given the run around. A good negotiator doesn't get mugged off!

I wouldn't necessarily blame them for not getting in their main "statement" targets but they should have also been working on viable back ups as well which is the problem I have with this window.

Judging by Sissoko's comments it also sounds as though they were given the run around. A good negotiator doesn't get mugged off!

We will have to agree to disagree because I just can't see how else they could have dealt with the Sissoko deal

And I'm pretty sure the lads we were trying to get in on TDD were the backup plan