IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

sounds great! second only to kante in interceptions and in tackles (4.1 a match). 7.2m, sounds great at 26 years old.

Don't see the point to this unless he doesn't rate at least two of McCarthy, Barry, Gibson, and Besic and wants to move them on. Doesn't seem like a major upgrade on any of them, unless I'm mistaken.

Don't see the point to this unless he doesn't rate at least two of McCarthy, Barry, Gibson, and Besic and wants to move them on. Doesn't seem like a major upgrade on any of them, unless I'm mistaken.

mccarthy and barry have been missing from all our preseason matches and they 're not injured. i don't think he rates them.

After snooping around a few forums lots and lots of villa fans seem to think he's an below average player just with amazing stats, and not many disagree.

If we're looking for a ball winning type midfielder we have Macca and Besic.

Edit: Sky Sports Sources say we've met his release clause.

Edited by AidanLewis

After snooping around a few forums lots and lots of villa fans seem to think he's an below average player just with amazing stats, and not many disagree.

If we're looking for a ball winning type midfielder we have Macca and Besic.

Edit: Sky Sports Sources say we've met his release clause.

Yep -- general consensus seems to be that he lost the ball a lot and had to recover.

Basically... when you're playing for the worst team in the league you're expected to be exposed to the defensive side of the game more.

Roy Keane was relegated just before signing for man united.

Carrick was relegated before signing for spurs.

exactly, i'm excited by this signing. cheap price, low cost massive room for growth and potential. again 7.2m is Arouna Kone injured for 2 years 5 goals over 3 years money. I think he will prove to be a better player than that.

Hmmm, this seems like Walsh's first move for koeman? I think we should give Steve the innocent until proven guilty approach, based on his success last season. He did sign the player of the year for a pittance. And this lad was surrounded by rubbish players at villa. Add the stats he has (not big on stats) but anyone with those numbers surely has a place in most prem squads? Coached by one of the best defenders ever... Would like to see what he can achieve for no more then the quoted 7m

Didn't Niasse have good stats???

These are premier league stats; non-comparable to Niasse's in Russia.

Could be a plucky signing... he was involved in pretty much anything good Villa did last season and there wasn't a lot of that. Seems he can pick a pass as well as the energy and defensive duties.

Reckon this is the sign of things to come from Walsh, this is exactly the sort of signing he's made his name from. Given his track record, I'm backing him.

Personally I think the only way we'll go 'big name' is if/when Lukaku/Stones leave, with perhaps a Mata type signing as a bonus. The reality is we're currently a mid-table club with no European football to offer, we have to box clever to get ourselves in a position to attract 'bigger' names. Notice how everyone we're linked with is also linked to Chelsea, City and Man Utd? Wonder where they'll end up going?

If Koeman and Walsh reckon this lad can improve us, great. Now bring in a keeper please and let's start getting excited for the new season.