IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

7 hours ago, London Blue said:

So how do you explain his performances for us last season then?

That's the thing; I don't think he was anything special last season at all and I said it a lot throughout the season.

He was OK, but I never thought he was a standout player. One game I was actually fully impressed with him - against Leicester at Goodison. That's the only time I've been able to see anything in him.

IMO, if we become what we want to be then Tom Davies will be nowhere the team. Or at least not a key player. I just don't see anything about him that would make him integral.

Like I said before, though, I hope I'm wrong. I want players to come through the system and establish themselves. I'd love nothing more than to have the likes of Kenny, Davies, Feeney etc being mainstays in the team.

44 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Didn't we have to bring on another defensive mid because we were getting murdered in the middle?

We did midway through the 2nd half but please don't say that Gana could have had the influence that McCarthy showed, and in the first half we kept the ball, better, we actually put some sequences of passes together that amounted to more than 3-4, we got forward far better and actually played in their box, we looked like a team, none of these have would have happened with Gana in team, you asked me a couple of weeks ago how do we quantify if we are better in midfield without Gana yesterday showed it.

34 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

He was missed yesterday.  Morgan is just another body out there, doesn't add much in defense or attack, gana does.  could you imagine a midfield three of mccarthy gana and davies?  finally some pressing and ball winning, they'd be all over the other side.

This is why Schneiderlin simply cannot be the man if we ever ditch the two DM’s. I’m a fan of Schneiderlin (when on form) but he just doesn’t have enough about him to do that role. 

Talking of Davies. I actually liked his performance yesterday - he was a bit subdued at first but grew into the game. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

We did midway through the 2nd half but please don't say that Gana could have had the influence that McCarthy showed, and in the first half we kept the ball, better, we actually put some sequences of passes together that amounted to more than 3-4, we got forward far better and actually played in their box, we looked like a team, none of these have would have happened with Gana in team, you asked me a couple of weeks ago how do we quantify if we are better in midfield without Gana yesterday showed it.

Yesterday showed we are better in midfield without him because we struggled in midfield?!!!

What would show we didn't miss him would be if their mids didn't dominate ours. Pogba, Lingard and Mata all had very good games.

What I find amusing is that Gana got no mention when we played Bournemouth, nor did McCarthy. Yet Gana scored a nice goal and McCarthy played a poor pass that led to a goal (instead of putting it out of play as we had a man down).

We don't need to imagine the posts if it had been the other way round.

And that's always my issue here. It's not that I adore Gana, it's that your arguments against him are so blatantly one sided.

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

Yesterday showed we are better in midfield without him because we struggled in midfield?!!!

What would show we didn't miss him would be if their mids didn't dominate ours. Pogba, Lingard and Mata all had very good games.

What I find amusing is that Gana got no mention when we played Bournemouth, nor did McCarthy. Yet Gana scored a nice goal and McCarthy played a poor pass that led to a goal (instead of putting it out of play as we had a man down).

We don't need to imagine the posts if it had been the other way round.

And that's always my issue here. It's not that I adore Gana, it's that your arguments against him are so blatantly one sided.

I can't comment on the Bournemouth game due to not being able to get a stream, I was given two options but didn't work for me, we had a bad twenty minutes in the 2nd half but that was collectively down to everyone in the team but if you want to single out one department of our team for the goals conceded then the central defenders should bare most responsibility.

I still think that the midfield looked better without him I believe if he was playing we would have had United camped in our half for eighty minutes of the game, although I didn't watch the Bournemouth game I saw some posts from those who did wanting him taken off can't remember seeing one praise him.

18 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I can't comment on the Bournemouth game due to not being able to get a stream, I was given two options but didn't work for me, we had a bad twenty minutes in the 2nd half but that was collectively down to everyone in the team but if you want to single out one department of our team for the goals conceded then the central defenders should bare most responsibility.

I still think that the midfield looked better without him I believe if he was playing we would have had United camped in our half for eighty minutes of the game, although I didn't watch the Bournemouth game I saw some posts from those who did wanting him taken off can't remember seeing one praise him.

There was one from JoeQuince because he wanted width rather than anti Gana, but then he scored so he probably got the odd bit of praise.

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

So yesterday was all because Gana wasn’t there? I’m not so sure. But we’ll soon see once he’s back and we’re pushovera again! Not like yesterday.

I think it's more because we had just one of them rather than it being Gana or not.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

He was missed yesterday.  Morgan is just another body out there, doesn't add much in defense or attack, gana does.  could you imagine a midfield three of mccarthy gana and davies?  finally some pressing and ball winning, they'd be all over the other side.

I thought Schneiderlin was very good yesterday, but he doesn't put his foot in enough. I thought he also played more forward balls than normal (same as Gana in the 2nd half v swansea). The difference between the two is that Schneiderlin screens whereas Gana puts out fires in defence. 

2 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Davies looks like he gets tired quickly. I felt that he was off the pace, especially in the second half, he couldn't get near Pogba at all.

Until McCarthy came on he was the only one who tried to give Pogba a kick. He did a better job than Rooney and Schneiderlin at it anyway!

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Ok. So put the Bournemouth game to one side (I didn't see it either as I was at work).

Just take yesterday's game. We made 7 changes and played with 2 actual proper wingers, which creates a nice balanced team going forward. So to try to say that anything good, or bad (works both ways), was down to one player not playing doesn't stand up. And you personally can't reliably quantify if we are better or worse with/without Gana as you are to biased against him (hence I very deliberately asked the question a couple of weeks ago).

Furthermore, the 3 centre mids that did play did nothing of much notice at all. Rooney was poor. Schneiderlin had a decent game, and Davies was ok once he got going but then faded again. McCarthy lit it up when he came on for a period of time but nobody had the impact he had. He came on because their midfield was annihilating ours right through the middle.

8 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Ok. So put the Bournemouth game to one side (I didn't see it either as I was at work).

Just take yesterday's game. We made 7 changes and played with 2 actual proper wingers, which creates a nice balanced team going forward. So to try to say that anything good, or bad (works both ways), was down to one player not playing doesn't stand up. And you personally can't reliably quantify if we are better or worse with/without Gana as you are to biased against him (hence I very deliberately asked the question a couple of weeks ago).

Furthermore, the 3 centre mids that did play did nothing of much notice at all. Rooney was poor. Schneiderlin had a decent game, and Davies was ok once he got going but then faded again. McCarthy lit it up when he came on for a period of time but nobody had the impact he had. He came on because their midfield was annihilating ours right through the middle.

I do agree with your comments that Schneiderlin had a decent game he seems to show more without Gana next to him I thought Davies was better than just OK in the first half but as you rightly said did fade then McCarthy entered the fray and lit the game up as you rightly said which gave Davies a second wind but undoubtedly needs to work on his stamina, begs the question who would you have left out to start Gana as you know I wouldn't have started him, I know you think that it's a personal vendetta I have against him but it's really not I truly think he really isn'tt a good player and he holds the team back we become so negative with him on the pitch.

Don't think we well ever agree on him but we have discussed it without animosity and bad feeling which is quite an achievement when you think this has been going back and forth for weeks, my aim is to make you realise we are better without out Gana but I can see it's going to take sometime:)

16 hours ago, Palfy said:

I do agree with your comments that Schneiderlin had a decent game he seems to show more without Gana next to him I thought Davies was better than just OK in the first half but as you rightly said did fade then McCarthy entered the fray and lit the game up as you rightly said which gave Davies a second wind but undoubtedly needs to work on his stamina, begs the question who would you have left out to start Gana as you know I wouldn't have started him, I know you think that it's a personal vendetta I have against him but it's really not I truly think he really isn'ttt a good player and he holds the team back we become so negative with him on the pitch.

Don't think we well ever agree on him but we have discussed it without animosity and bad feeling which is quite an achievement when you think this has been going back and forth for weeks, my aim is to make you realise we are better without out Gana but I can see it's going to take sometime:)

I would leave Davies out as Gana can do what Davies does but for a full game. Davies is only young (19?), Gana is in his prime (28?), so they are good options to have.

I don't think it's a personal vendetta. As grown men, it would be a bit sadistic to go that far against a footy player but I do think the views are ridiculously negative. All managers that have worked with him mention him as a key player, pundits rave about what he does, most members on here rate him. But, nah, Palfy and PeteO don't like him so we should all listen! Come on now. 

We can agree on his weakness, for sure, he has them. But we'll never agree on the OTT nit picking criticisms.

Keep trying to convince though...you and Pete make a good team in this one!!! Always worthy of a debate!!!

3 hours ago, Newty82 said:

I would leave Davies out as Gana can do what Davies does but for a full game. Davies is only young (19?), Gana is in his prime (28?), so they are good options to have.

I don't think it's a personal vendetta. As grown men, it would be a bit sadistic to go that far against a footy player but I do think the views are ridiculously negative. All managers that have worked with him mention him as a key player, pundits rave about what he does, most members on here rate him. But, nah, Palfy and PeteO don't like him so we should all listen! Come on now. 

We can agree on his weakness, for sure, he has them. But we'll never agree on the OTT nit picking criticisms.

Keep trying to convince though...you and Pete make a good team in this one!!! Always worthy of a debate!!!

I don't ever see Davies shy away from the ball and go hiding. I don't ever see Gana hold up the back or take it forward. Two completely different people, one a footballer and the other is called Idrissa. 

Against United Davies covered more ground than Gana could manage in 2-3 games, Davies was also seen in United's area supporting the forward, Gana could play 5 games and not see the opponents area as much as Davies did in that game, Gana is a liability to any team who has ambitions to play attacking football, he is to defensively minded and yet he's no good at that either he is one of the main reasons that we lack any forward movement when he plays, it's no coincidence that he is involved in most of the games that we have least possession, when he's on the pitch we're playing with 10 men and the opposition gain a player because he contributes more to their game than ours.