IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

Gomes will come into the Davies spot. I’d also expect Cenk to come on for Gomes/Siggy with siggy dropping deeper or Bernard into CAM.

really hoping Gomes is the player I think he’s going to be. If that second midfielder next to Gana can also be a goal scoring midfielder, we will be an absolute force. 

4 hours ago, Btay said:

Gomes will come into the Davies spot. I’d also expect Cenk to come on for Gomes/Siggy with siggy dropping deeper or Bernard into CAM.

really hoping Gomes is the player I think he’s going to be. If that second midfielder next to Gana can also be a goal scoring midfielder, we will be an absolute force. 

So do I 

10 hours ago, Haiku said:

Gana is a ball-winning midfielder. Gomez is a deep midfielder, but more on the pass rather than the tackle. Basically the player we were expecting from Schneiderlin. 

Got ya. Was hoping he was a box to box type, but of everything. 

Have to confess it’s just you tube vids. Still got a great feeling about him though.

What a player he is. Was immense today I thought. Learned his lesson from Leicester and took one for the team in bringing Zaha down and getting his booking. Yes, he has weaknesses to his game but his strenghts are things he does brilliantly. Playing Gomes today meant for the first time in his Everton career he had someone next to him who is technically very good. Meant he could actually focus on his strengths which are his pressing and tackling and then giving it simply. He’s not the best passer at the club by a long way, but with Gomes next to him it took some pressure off his passing game and meant he was able to give it simply. Doing what he does for the team, there’s not much better.

9 hours ago, gethinO said:

What a player he is. Was immense today I thought. Learned his lesson from Leicester and took one for the team in bringing Zaha down and getting his booking. Yes, he has weaknesses to his game but his strenghts are things he does brilliantly. Playing Gomes today meant for the first time in his Everton career he had someone next to him who is technically very good. Meant he could actually focus on his strengths which are his pressing and tackling and then giving it simply. He’s not the best passer at the club by a long way, but with Gomes next to him it took some pressure off his passing game and meant he was able to give it simply. Doing what he does for the team, there’s not much better.

Sssshhh don't say that too loud, the two P's might start agree 😳

He switched off again and very easily could've cost us a goal. He covered for Coleman slotting in at right back but looked completely lost, genuinely never seen a football player with so little positional sense in my life. 

Palace played very little through the middle so Gana and Gomes were largely untroubled in the defensive side, most the balls were over their head or to the wing. When Palace went forward it was rare they committed players, they had come for a draw. 

Saying Gana was great yesterday is like praising the Keeper when they've not had a save to make. Easy day in the office. 

35 minutes ago, pete0 said:

He switched off again and very easily could've cost us a goal. He covered for Coleman slotting in at right back but looked completely lost, genuinely never seen a football player with so little positional sense in my life. 

Palace played very little through the middle so Gana and Gomes were largely untroubled in the defensive side, most the balls were over their head or to the wing. When Palace went forward it was rare they committed players, they had come for a draw. 

Saying Gana was great yesterday is like praising the Keeper when they've not had a save to make. Easy day in the office. 

If he's out of position, how is he top on the stats for getting the ball back / breaking up play? Since that's his job, I'd say the facts prove his positional awareness to be very good - you can't tackle if you're not near the ball! 

53 minutes ago, Aidan said:

More tackles and more interceptions than anyone else on the pitch, despite us having more of the ball. Made more passes than anyone on the field and only Cenk had a better accuracy (only played 10 minutes). His job isn'ttt to position himself correctly, his job is to press the ball and win it back as quick as possible, which he is one of the best in the world at.

If he is so bad then why has he been first choice for the last 4 managers we've had? I can't understand this constant bashing of the poor lad!

agreed, he is class

24 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Thought so

At least a Palfy is smart enough to stay out of it.

PeteO how can you be so right and make sense in one thread, and so blind in another haha.

Surely even you have to give him some credit for his last few appearances? It’s like your arguing that black is actually indigo with a slight shade of pink and silver spots!

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Surely even you have to give him some credit for his last few appearances? It’s like your arguing that black is actually indigo with a slight shade of pink and silver spots!

Yesterday was good best performance.. But that says very little. Palace never attacked and he even still had a brain fart. He'd never see the pitch under a manager like Mourinho. The only thing he's good at is running. 

As for the interceptions how many times does that then lead to the ball falling back to the opposition? How many times is he caught out because he's gone chasing and ended up the wrong side? Seriously any coach would be shouting stay goalside at a child if they played like Gana. 

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

There's blind and then there's this. Talk about an agenda... 

3 hours ago, nogs said:

There's blind and then there's this. Talk about an agenda... 

Did he not blindly give the ball away in our half? 

Did he look lost when filling in at right back? 

In general is there anyone positionally worse than him? I couldn't name a single one. 

Did Palace give him much to do defensively?